cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned item and then filed a chargeback

So a buyer returned a defective Segway scooter and I already received it but I got an email saying that there’s a chargeback for this transaction so I don’t know what should I do. I don’t understand why he would file a chargeback if I accepted the return.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You accepted the chargeback but did you (or eBay) make a refund?

You should make sure eBay, which is handling the Money Back Guarantee claim, knows that you do have the scooter back and that a refund has been given.

Don't trust eBay to do this for you.  Act positively.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

The OP doesn't say if a refund was sent or not. 
This is a head scratcher for sure.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Probably has to do with the time frame.

Sounds like buyer wanted his money back quicker so did the chargeback.

Thus it is quicker sometimes and eBay steps aside.

Now I don't know about getting a "ding" on your account or not. Has to do with what happened before the bank got involved.

You got the item back. That is great.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Since it's been returned, refund the buyer.

You got lucky, they didn't do it before it was returned because you probably wouldn't have got it back.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

So did they go to the bank card BEFORE YOU refunded them? I assume yes because if you already refunded how could they do a chargeback? If you got the item back and did not refund them yet yourself, nothing you can do except let the chargeback run it’s course which sometimes takes several months to resolve. Problem is the buyer has made and error if you were going to automatically refund the purchase when the item arrived back. Now they have to wait, unless ebay has a better solution.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

There are multiple pieces to this. The first is unknown at the moment. As reallynicestamps 

noted if the buyer filed an official claim through eBay, you accepted the return and refunded the buyer when you got the item back then that should have closed out the issue. The buyer may have filed a chargeback because they did not see the refund or did not understand the process. If there is something missing here please expand. 
     Dispute the chargeback and make sure you include the information from the eBay case that shows the item has been returned and the buyer refunded. The CC company should close the chargeback. The buyer can't be refunded twice.  The following lays out the seller chargeback protections. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

They wont get their money back quicker. Once the chargeback is started they take months to resolve. I am not sure what to tell this seller to do at the moment. They need to call ebay.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

If a refund was issued by the seller how can the buyer even do a chargeback after that?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I would not assume that eBay has an automatic way to see that a charged back transaction had already been refunded.
I strongly suggest that the OP give eBay the information about the earlier Claim,return, and refund to confirm that eBay is aware.

Never trust that any amorphous entity is on your side, or even aware of all the facts.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I won a buyer's bank chargeback dispute in 8 days during December. Which is very rare to win over the bank.

The bank sided with me per eBay email. I saved the emailed and will never delete it. LOL.

I did an Amazon dispute with my bank debit card and it got resolved in 3 business days. That was a walk-in to my bank...will never do a walk in again.

Best to do a dispute online with your banking source.

So, months....never heard that before. But, it depends...polite and businesslike and know your stuff does help.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Was there really a refund issued by the seller....

Message 12 of 12
latest reply