cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer return lost in shipping

I have a problem. A buyer purchased a CAT ECM for $850.00 on June 27. The day he received the package, he opened a not as described case. I knew the reasoning was a lie, because I had this ECM tested by CAT dealer MHC Kenworth before listing the ECM. I have paperwork from MHC showing the ECM was in good working order. 

This does not matter as the buyer returned the item of course. Problem is, I have not received the item back, it's showing that it's been sitting in transit for 7 days now. Since I have not received the item, I have not refunded the buyer. eBay just now sends me an email that says this:

We've asked the buyer to send the item

Hi *********,

***** indicated that they posted their return. The item should now be delivered and once you've received it, please issue the buyer with a refund by Jul 17, 2023.

Once you refund the buyer, we'll credit eligible fees to you as per our  fee credit policy (link taken out)

If the item hasn't arrived yet, the buyer may not be returning it. if you like, you can contact buyer (link taken out). If you can't reach a resolution, you can ask us to step in and help (note- this was a link but I had to take it out)

When I click on the return page, it's showing at the top of the page that the item HAS been delivered, and that I have until the 17th to refund the buyer,  when the package has NOT been delivered, and tracking clearly shows that the package has NOT been delivered! So all I can figure is the buyer has called eBay and some rep has manually entered delivered even though tracking shows clearly the package is not delivered. It has signature confirmation even, it's not been delivered! 

What should I do? I can't refund $850 when I haven't even received the package back! eBay chose the shipping company for the return... They gave the buyer the label, they chose FedEx. I initially shipped via USPS. I wouldn't have chosen FedEx had I chosen the carrier for the buyer. eBay rules are usually whoever chooses the carrier is responsible, in this case eBay chose the carrier. And surely to god they insured the package for something so expensive! 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer return lost in shipping

Should I 'ask eBay to step in and help'? I am terrified to do this on any case, because they could rule in favor of the buyer. I already have a very low opinion of this buyer and who knows what he was sending back. He has negative feedback calling him a scammer and he sells the exact kind of ECM that he purchased from me. I KNOW that ECM worked and had no problems. It was tested by a CAT Certified dealer. We had some back and forth messaging and he threatened my feedback in his last message. A real gem. 

I just don't know how to handle this as I have never had a problem like this before. It's got me worried since eBay has labeled the package as 'delivered' at the top of the page when the package has NOT been delivered. This package had signature confirmation, it's showing it's been stuck in the northern area of my state for 7 days. 

It gives me the option to ask eBay to step in, but if I do will they force me to refund even though I haven't received the item back? 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Did you provide the return label? If so, you are on the hook for the refund if it goes missing. 

Odds are that the item will eventually reach you. My advice it to hold out as long as possible as it may show up by the 17th. If it doesn't, issue the refund late on the 16th. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I get packages from Fed Ex rather quickly delivered. Never had a problem with them. You need to check the tracking not from eBay but from your emails. You should have gotten tracking first day it was in transit, updates when in delivery, then day of delivery, then out for delivery and finally delivered.

Ebay made the shipping label. I would say it's in their hands. You have until the 17th...do nothing until the night of the 16th. I wonder if the buyer didn't use the shipping label but another one they bought on the own. Again,

read those emails that Fed Ex sent out to you before a delivered package. If you didn't get daily updates from Fed Ex on the status of this package in emails then maybe something is not right.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

This is the big issue that eBay fails to fix, and scammers jump on it. 

The tracking# needs to be shared with the seller so they can track movement.

I'm going to say that buyer is a scammer, and they altered the shipping label in some way and eBay BOTS only go by the tracking number. I don't think they do any verification to connect the address back to seller. 

Buyer probably shipped an empty box or a box with a rock to an address in your zip code or maybe not. I still wonder if the same zip code even matters. 

Is there a drop down selection on the return page where you can make a complaint / request tracking.#

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

It working or not isn't the issue.
If tracking shows it has not been delivered back to you, then you are fine (no refund). 
As for you buyer's claim?  If your buyer's address looks like a Company located in NY or FL...Odds are good that there's an issue with the ECM.   If it's just an individual, they are probably just throwing parts at a machine trying to fix it...and the computer didn't help, and....eBay's return policy..ugh

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hi, I am sorry this happened to you. I had the same issue and the seller asked Ebay to step in and they won. I decided to appeal and on appeal I gave Ebay the tracking number and said I never received the item back and that the tracking number shows this. Mine was for under $50. I appealed  it because I did not want the defect. In your case I would be proactive and would ask Ebay to step in. I would provide the tracking number that shows you did not receive the item back and state that you have not received the item. I would ASSUME that Ebay would side with you. I hope you win and that the seller does not try to do a chargeback with their credit card. Good luck.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

"When I click on the return page, it's showing at the top of the page that the item HAS been delivered, and that I have until the 17th to refund the buyer,  when the package has NOT been delivered, and tracking clearly shows that the package has NOT been delivered! So all I can figure is the buyer has called eBay and some rep has manually entered delivered even though tracking shows clearly the package is not delivered. It has signature confirmation even, it's not been delivered!

Are you able to see the tracking number to see that it hasn't been delivered? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I didn't provide the label, eBay provided the label. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

The package was accepted by FedEx and went through the shipping process as shown on the tracking, until it got to a certain destination and then it's just been stuck there for 7 days. I checked the FedEx tracking on their actual website and it says the same thing.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Yes, it shows on the tracking that it hasn't been delivered. It shows this on the return details page where eBay says at the top of the page 'delivered', and it also shows this on the FedEx website. So I'm not sure why the top of the returns detail page says 'the package should have been delivered by now', and it has the little line that shows 'shipped, delivered, refund by July 17', even though it has NOT been delivered and tracking on their own page shows this. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

The only option it's giving is 'refund buyer' or 'ask eBay to step in and help'. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

If "you" paid for it as part of the return process, then in this instance, as eBay looks at it, "you" provided it.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I suggest before contacting Ebay, find out what's going on with that tracking number.  Call FedEx.

Is the delivery zipcode the same as yours?  

Get to the bottom of it, so you're not in the dark when you do contact Ebay.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Tracking shows the final delivery point (if it had been delivered) is to be in my city. But the package has been stuck at a FedEx location for 7 days. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply