cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer possibly lying about damage

Buyer received package and immediately sent email claiming one of bulbs I sent is broken on pieces. I asked for pictures, but he/she responded "It's already gone in the trash compactor as it almost cut my hand had I not been really careful when I opened the package".

Those are regular shaped round LED bulbs, entire body is made of thick plastic and someone should beat it with something like hammer to break it. I disassembled many of them and know they are VERY hard to break, and to break it "on pieces" is almost impossible. Look like buyer not realized it is plastic when he was making his story.

So he got no item left to make pics or to send it back, but he wants me to just take his questionable story and refund payment. Its just $5 so I would rather refund then risk neg feedback, but I still dont feel like buyers should be allowed to do that. Is there anything i can do other then blocking/reporting him?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Buyer possibly lying about damage

@blue_finch wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Of course it doesn't make sense to receive a broken, useless item back. But it is the principle of the matter. Most people will not be dishonest enough to send back a completely different item and will just drop the matter of trying to get a partial refund.

This why asked for pictures - this is best way to avoid hassle with returning and prove that damage is real. I always making pictures of damaged items when Im buying something, sellers dont even have to ask me 🙂 No way I would just open smashed package and then throw item in the trash compactor before talking with seller and showing him pictures.

@blue_finch wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Of course it doesn't make sense to receive a broken, useless item back. But it is the principle of the matter. Most people will not be dishonest enough to send back a completely different item and will just drop the matter of trying to get a partial refund.

This why asked for pictures - this is best way to avoid hassle with returning and prove that damage is real. I always making pictures of damaged items when Im buying something, sellers dont even have to ask me 🙂 No way I would just open smashed package and then throw item in the trash compactor before talking with seller and showing him pictures.

I do that, too.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Can the buyer send you a picture of the wrappings?

Yes, I already asked in my first response to send pictures of both packaging and broken item.

Everething is " in the trash compactor" Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

A $5 broken bulb and everyone screams scam. I would have thrown it away too. IMO it would be an insult to insist a buyer return a broken $5 bulb.

It takes minute to make picture and attach it to the message. They not glass bulbs to break easy or "almost cut" someone so all that looks way suspisious. 

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky and move on.
There are horror stories on here from sellers who lose $800+ on refunded items that the buyer then even gets to keep.

And how do you think that they got started on the path to the $800.00+ items?

They start out with low priced items that 'get thrown away' and then move on up.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky and move on.
There are horror stories on here from sellers who lose $800+ on refunded items that the buyer then even gets to keep.

And how do you think that they got started on the path to the $800.00+ items?

They start out with low priced items that 'get thrown away' and then move on up.

Totally agree. It's just bad business to possibly harbor scammer mentality, especially when all the facts point to something suspicious.

Even if they are not intent on working up to expensive items, it is equally destructive to let someone repeatedly get away with making complaints about every item they purchase in order to attempt extracting partial or full refunds out of sellers.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

I totally agree with all this too, but I refunded those $5 becuse  it not worth time and hassle dealing with it.  I feel bad that I was forced to support such behavior, not about those $5 that I lost.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@coolections wrote:

A $5 broken bulb and everyone screams scam. I would have thrown it away too. IMO it would be an insult to insist a buyer return a broken $5 bulb.

Which is why I suggested checking the buyers feedback and feedback left for possible clues.

No, it is not insulting. When you have a problem with an order, you return it for a refund. That's how things work...

If you ordered a bulb online from a B&M store and it arrived damaged do you think they would say "oh no worries just throw it away here's your full refund?" Absolutely not.

Even if I planned on giving the refund I still would urge them to open a return case to be opened that way they couldn't pull stupid stuff afterwards.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@blue_finch wrote:

Buyer received package and immediately sent email claiming one of bulbs I sent is broken on pieces. I asked for pictures, but he/she responded "It's already gone in the trash compactor as it almost cut my hand had I not been really careful when I opened the package".

Those are regular shaped round LED bulbs, entire body is made of thick plastic and someone should beat it with something like hammer to break it. I disassembled many of them and know they are VERY hard to break, and to break it "on pieces" is almost impossible. Look like buyer not realized it is plastic when he was making his story.

So he got no item left to make pics or to send it back, but he wants me to just take his questionable story and refund payment. Its just $5 so I would rather refund then risk neg feedback, but I still dont feel like buyers should be allowed to do that. Is there anything i can do other then blocking/reporting him?

Tell them to initiate a return.  Make them send it back.  Odds are, if they're lying, this is the point at which they disappear.  Place them on your black list.  Done.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

asked for pictures, but he/she responded "It's already gone in the trash compactor

----------------------------

I never believe buyers that say the item is in the trash when the seller has asked for a photo.

When I received a smashed item, I took pics of it to show the seller and I only put in the trash bin after the seller told me he didn't want the item returning, and then he issued a refund.

Some buyers might be telling the truth, but I just don't believe them.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

BTW, when I asked if he wants refund or replacement, he choose refund - all of sudden he dont need second bulb, and I doubt because he dont like them - he said undamaged one is perfect Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

I would just refund the 5.00 as well. I mean, you can insist they RETURN THE ITEM, which they cant, since they threw it out already, but you are at risk of receiving a negative feedback, and for 5.00, its not worth it, to me anyway. on a 30 dollar item, i would call the customers bluff all day. and win, and take my negative like a boss.

Everybody wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.
Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Taking a photo is so easy these days, it's second nature. 99% of consumer phones take good clear photos. People photograph anything and EVERYTHING, but when they want a refund all of a sudden a photo is not feasible? And everything is in a compactor? Yeah right !!!! I like fairy tales too, but my favorites begin with "in the next fiscal quarter....."

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

Taking a photo is so easy these days, it's second nature. 99% of consumer phones take good clear photos. People photograph anything and EVERYTHING, but when they want a refund all of a sudden a photo is not feasible? And everything is in a compactor? Yeah right !!!! I like fairy tales too, but my favorites begin with "in the next fiscal quarter....."

@campesinoplastic2014

As a buyer I can tell you I have no smart phone and it is a hassle to take a picture and put into computer then send to seller. I have thrown out at least 20 items over the years that arrived broken and never took a picture. Then again the items I've thrown away are usually under $10 so I just take the loss give the seller their feedback and move on without a refund. I am not about to ship back some broken item under $10 to waste my time getting a refund. I am sure there are may other buyers out there that feel the same. Sellers who think everyone who does not take a picture of a low cost broken item is a scammer should leave Ebay and not do on line sales.

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

Very strange.  I would like to think that someone would not pull this for a five dollar item, but I don't know what to think.  Possibly something COULD have happened to it?  The PO can drop things from heights that are several feet.

The absence of pictures is troublesome, but not everyone has a cell phone or is tech savvy.  But when I get something broken, I take pictures and send it to the seller.  I don't pitch it until everything is squared away.  I once had a 4-5 ft glass curio sit in my living room for a month, while that was being straightened out.  I was never so glad to pitch anything.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Very strange.  I would like to think that someone would not pull this for a five dollar item, but I don't know what to think.  Possibly something COULD have happened to it?  The PO can drop things from heights that are several feet.

hing.

$5 items are easier because sellers would rather refund then deal with returns, cases, etc.

I have couple similar bulbs that I took apart, like if I need more directed light, or make them shorter , etc, so I took round cover and tested it just few min ago.  On first pic its under leg of heavy wooden bed with metal frame and spring mattress, on second pic it shows postal scale under the same leg and shows pressure of 50 lb.

I would like to see what PO can possibly do to that bulbs to shatter it? Smiley Wink

DSCN8561.JPGDSCN8569.JPG

Message 30 of 46
latest reply