cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid buy-it-now, I shipped 3 days ago. Now buyer wants to cancel. Must I cancel?

Buyer bought a pair of like-new, open-box speakers. He paid thru PayPal and I shipped 3 days ago. Speakers are in transit. Now buyer suddenly says he has decided he doesn't like the color of the speaker cones and wants me to cancel. I don't see why I should cancel since he simply changed his mind after following thru on purchase. I am running the risk that the speakers could be damaged on the round trip. Do I have to cancel?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buyer paid buy-it-now, I shipped 3 days ago. Now buyer wants to cancel. Must I cancel?

The item has been shipped so there is no way to cancel the transaction now.

You don't accept returns so unless you want to offer to accept the return the buyer can't return the item. If you offer to accept the return the buyer will pay return shipping since this is a buyer's remorse issue.

Keep in mind the buyer can file a case saying the item is not as described so be ready to show eBay any messages you have from this buyer saying they changed their mind.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Buyer paid buy-it-now, I shipped 3 days ago. Now buyer wants to cancel. Must I cancel?

@elbiciclista wrote:

Buyer bought a pair of like-new, open-box speakers. He paid thru PayPal and I shipped 3 days ago. Speakers are in transit. Now buyer suddenly says he has decided he doesn't like the color of the speaker cones and wants me to cancel. I don't see why I should cancel since he simply changed his mind after following thru on purchase. I am running the risk that the speakers could be damaged on the round trip. Do I have to cancel?

No.

You tell the buyer to open a return with reason "Changed my mind" when they receive the package.

Tell them they don't even have to open the box.  Just replace the old label with the return label and ship it back out.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I had a moron do this to me the other day. He wanted to buy a different toy car from me instead. I told him to NOT accept the package and to return it UNOPENED. I told him to REFUSE. Sure I know that they revoke their buyer protection but I don't care about them. I just want the item back in the same condition as I sent it and I don't want them repacking the item. I immediately blocked him from buying from me on this account and my main seller account.

I will say that sometimes, you get stuck paying the post office for the return.
It might be too late to RECALL the package and who knows if the buyer will change their mind again and want it. Goodluck.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Am I correct that I do not have to agree to cancel the sale? I can tell buyer that he waited too late to change his mind, and the speakers are his? I recognize that he can play games and claim that the condition is not as advertised, but he has sent me an eBay message asking me to cancel because he has changed his mind........so I think he would be on shaky ground. I just don't like the idea of taking the item back because he can't make up his mind.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

toy brats,

You did that as a courtesy, right? You didn't have to take it back?

Yes, I can tell him to refuse package, not to open it, I will refund $ after I get package back. But I don't see why I should do this. Only reason I see is that he decides to lie about condition of speakers.

Too may knuckleheads out there.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You should not cancel right now! If you do while the speakers are in transit, the buyer will have both their money back and the speakers, and they will have no reason to return them since they have their money.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@elbiciclista wrote:

Am I correct that I do not have to agree to cancel the sale? I can tell buyer that he waited too late to change his mind, and the speakers are his? I recognize that he can play games and claim that the condition is not as advertised, but he has sent me an eBay message asking me to cancel because he has changed his mind........so I think he would be on shaky ground. I just don't like the idea of taking the item back because he can't make up his mind.

You would think he would be on shaky ground but really he can make up a reason they're not as described when he gets them and you'll be on the hook for a full refund and return shipping 

you can take a return and only be out original shipping costs since you have free shipping.  Or you can tell him it's too late to cancel and no returns but keep in mind you'll be running the risk of a false not as described.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

"I am so sorry, but I cannot cancel an order that has already been shipped.  Since you have changed your mind, I will be happy to issue a refund once I receive the item back.  You can just take it to the post office in the original packaging--you don't even need to re-pack it--and tell them you wish to return the item to the sender.  They will assist you in creating a return label.   I'm sorry you didn't like your original purchase--i hope you can find something you prefer in the future!"

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

grumpus_otter,

Thank you, well written.

How do I issue a refund? 

Do I do this at PayPal or eBay? Or is it too late for either, and I just have to send him a PayPal payment of purchase amount?

Do I get back my eBay fees, or am I out the fees?

Am I out the shipping cost I paid at eBay?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply