cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid but attached conditions

I sold and was paid for a $600 electronic item from a low-feedback foreign buyer  (using a reshipper).

In a message attached to his payment, he included an exhaustive list of tests and subjective evaluations he wanted done on the item.

I am unable, unwilling, and/or unqualified to do some of them, and want to know if I can cancel the sale?  I can't figure out how to do this.    Thanks for your ideas.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

There is something about 'demanding things not included in the listing'.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

You could email the buyer and explain that you don't offer the requested testing and it was not included in the listing. Offer to cancel if the buyer is uncomfortable purchasing the item without testing. If the buyer agrees to cancel, you can then cancel the sale as "buyer requested" and refund.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

wrote:

Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Yes it does, and if I could find way out of this sale, I would take it. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

No No Nanette.  Buyers don't set terms and conditions. That's it, period.

This is your gig. You set the parameters, not some tire kicker from Tinbuktu. Email the buyer and tell them why you are cancelling the deal. If they drop their demands, you may, may very well be ripped off yet. It's better to scrub the deal and block the buyer than become an (informed) victim.

Respond by saying no  - got that?  NO to the buyer. He's looking for ways to defraud you.  Refund his payment, call customer service and file a complaint that a buyer is asking you to meet costly unreasonable demands. You need to have some record  of the transaction filed with eBay that you can use later to have a Negative feed back expunged  and be sure  cancel the deal. Use the bad address as the reason for the cancellation.

eBay fails miserably in the area of reasons for cancellations by sellers. There is division on whether more cancellation options and well as leaving negative feed back for buyers should be expanded.  My opinion is eBay needs a major tune up in these areas.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

The time for a buyer to request things or ask questions is before the sale not after.

I would message them through ebay messages & politely tell them

that those terms were not part of the sale.

Ask if they would like to cancel & then be sure to choose

the " buyer requested " option if they want to cancel.

If they still want to purchase the item then they need to clearly understand

that you won't be doing the tests that they requested.

Be sure to save all the messages.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

If the first time you were made aware of these "conditions" was a note attached to payment, then Buyer's "conditions" are technically not part of the sale and you have no obligation to meet them.  They have the same weight and enforceability as if the Buyer wrote in a payment message that you are required to wear a pink tutu while boxing up the item.

If the Buyer communicated these conditions to you in the back-and-forth of the Make An Offer/Best Offer framework before making the purchase, then they have enforceability.  If the conditions were mentioned in eBay messages prior to the sale but not part of the Offer framework, then ""maybe"" they have enforceability depending upon the tea leaves and dice roll of eBay dispute resolution at a given moment in time.

Having said that, let's get to the reality of the list of conditions.

Buyer has pretty much said to you, "This is a serious purchase on my part.  I am spending money on this item because for it to be worth the price, it has to be able to meet these conditions.  I will be checking the item for these specifics when I receive it, so it better pass these tests when I get it, or else I'm sending it back to you and you're going to give me my money back and eat the shipping both ways."

So they have thrown down the gauntlet.

First issue:  if these are essential functions for this item, and you have not already verified that the item can do the functions because "...I am unable, unwilling, and/or unqualified to do some of them...", then you were already taking a big risk listing the item (presumably as used) because on eBay, "Used" almost always means it still works normally.  So regardless of to whom it was sold or to where it was sold, if you are not confident that it fully functions, maybe it would have been best to have it professionally tested prior to listing.

Second issue:  the reshipper.  Yes, eBay rules say items reshipped lose their Buyer protection, but maybe/maybe not if the case goes to eBay for decision, and who knows what PayPal is going to to.

Third issue:  agita.  Sounds like problem Buyer, not because they have standards, but because they announced their standards after the sale, which IMO is unreasonable and reveals a certain mindset that "does not play well with others."

So IMHO you should do whatever you can within eBay rules to cancel this sale.

Normally, when a Seller cancels an order it will cause a defect to be placed against their account, but the added conditions placed on this transaction by the Buyer after the sale should be enough to allow you to cancel the sale without getting the defect.  Call eBay Customer Service and see if you can convince them to agree.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

"Dear buyer,

The time to have asked for your testing is before purchase, and not after. I am not able to do the extensive testing which you require. I am not qualified, nor do I have the equipment to do so.

If you are not comfortable going forward, I will be more than happy to cancel this transaction so you can find another seller better qualified to help you. Just let me know.

Thank you,

Seller"

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

DO NOT CANCEL.  Just because the buyer had some requests doesn't mean you have to race to cancel, particularly since he looses his MBG the minute that item is forwarded to another country.

Dear buyer,

Unfortunately I am not qualified nor knowledgeable enough to run your requested tests. Your item will ship on xx date.

Thank you for your business.

Regards

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Sounds like the buyer wants the item but perhaps did not like paying for it. Smells like a partial refund request or worse on the horizon. I would start crawfishing from this one. Nothing good is going to transpire from this transaction.  I hope you obtain some advice you can use.  Good luck. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@luigicat4. You say NO. Do not waste your time communicating with them. Then open a non pay case 48 hours after the listing ends. After 96 hours without payment you can close the case, get your fees refunded, put a non pay strike on the buyers account and best of all they can't leave feedback! Don't forget to add them to your blocked buyer list.

NEVER LET A BUYER PUSH YOU AROUND!

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

wrote:

@luigicat4. You say NO. Then open a non pay case 48 hours after the listing ends. After 96 hours without payment you can close the case, get your fees refunded, put a non pay strike on the buyers account and best of all they can't leave feedback!

Sounds like from the post of the OP, that the payment has already been made. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

wrote:

@luigicat4. You say NO. Then open a non pay case 48 hours after the listing ends. After 96 hours without payment you can close the case, get your fees refunded, put a non pay strike on the buyers account and best of all they can't leave feedback!

OP said the buyer has paid.

Edit:  ::shambles off to slow typing corner::

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I just caught that but too late to revise. 

OP's best option is to still say NO and offer a refund if they don't like it. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply