cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opens case for item not delivered nearly a week before due and then ...

New one on me: Buyer paid for item on the 13th, I mailed it on the 14th and he opened a case against me today (2/17) thinking that the item was due for delivery on Friday the 16th. However the shipping info shows it was due to be delivered on Friday the 23rd. We're talking about a $6 item including free delivery. So I write to him and point out that he had the date wrong. He writes back that he bought another one that was cheaper than mine because he thought mine wasn't coming. First of all, I'm surprised that ebay allows him to open a "not recieved" case before the due date. But what I am supposed to do now? Should I report him? Or wait for that case to close and inevitable return request that will follow? Or just refund him now and hope that he goes away?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Call ebay, upload the tracking that this buyer obviously jumped the gun because he bought another one, and ask them to close the case in your favor while you remain on the phone.

Make sure they have this on file in case he tries a snad return.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Ebay isn’t going to close the case in your favor so don’t bother calling yet. You don’t have proof of delivery yet and they won’t close a case prior to the 3rd business day. They won’t close after the 3rd business day either, if you don’t have proof of delivery at that time. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

A buyer opens a case or INR before the delivery date and admits it is because he bought something else - yes, I would get that one on ebay's record and is more than grounds to get it closed in the seller's favor.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40wrote:

A buyer opens a case or INR before the delivery date and admits it is because he bought something else - yes, I would get that one on ebay's record and is more than grounds to get it closed in the seller's favor.

It’s not grounds for getting an INR closed and cases cannot be escalated prior to the 3rd business day anymore, confirmed by Trinton. The estimated delivery date set by eBay has passed otherwise an INR would not have been allowed to be opened yet. Unless the buyer filed with PayPal and if he did, eBay can’t close the case.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Do not refund the buyer. I don't understand how the buyer was able to open an INR before the estimated ship date. You are dealing with a very impatient buyer. Call ebay and explain everything and have them close the case. Must be a glitch on ebay's side.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

If he bought another one after not getting yours on Friday, unless he went to a local store, he will still probably get yours delivered first.   The INR case should allow enough time for yours to be delivered and you can get the case closed.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@emerald40wrote:

It’s not grounds for getting an INR closed and cases cannot be escalated prior to the 3rd business day anymore, confirmed by Trinton. The estimated delivery date set by eBay has passed otherwise an INR would not have been allowed to be opened yet. Unless the buyer filed with PayPal and if he did, eBay can’t close the case.

Not everyone visits the chats.  I gave up on them long ago.

If rules have changed then ebay needs to update their pages.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40wrote:

@missjen831wrote:

@emerald40wrote:

It was confirmed on a couple threads on this board, I don’t normally attend the chats so I don’t know if it’s been brought the tbere .The written policies don’t need to be changed. The information is correct as far as time lines and when eBay can be asked to step in. Too many sellers were asking eBay to step in before the 3rd business day and customer service was closing cases for them and eBay determined this was being abused and they’ve put a stop to it. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

If he bought another one after not getting yours on Friday, unless he went to a local store, he will still probably get yours delivered first.  

I've seen 6' HDMI cables everywhere including grocery stores.  Fully possible he found one while running errands and said  ...  'hmmmm, I don't need mail order after all ...'

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Because eBay buyers are now conditioned to get their items in two to three days. Ten days delivery is going to get you lots more of these claims. They want it cheap, and shipped fast. Blame eBay for this madness. I refuse to sell anything that I cannot add Priority Mail shipping to. Either as free shipping included in the price or as a shipping cost

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Good point was made that the item in fact has not been delivered yet and tracking indicates that it was delayed in Durham so it will be at least Tuesday before it gets delivered. This was a first class package. Also the buyer only has 3 feedbacks, therefore a newbie. Also this is not vanilla hdmi but an hdmi to dvi cable, still, common enough.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Sorry, the pages have never said a request can be escalated --

before 3 business days have elapsed.

So no update is needed.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

All I can tell you is this -

buyer bught an item from me.  Opened INR case before the estimated date of delivery.

I had it closed in my favor.

So something changed since two years ago.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40wrote:

All I can tell you is this -

buyer bught an item from me.  Opened INR case before the estimated date of delivery.

I had it closed in my favor.

So something changed since two years ago.

Did the tracking say "Delivered" on yours?

The only way to have an INR closed in a sellers favor is with online viewable tracking that says "Delivered" (this includes "attempted delivery" and "undeliverable as addresed" scans, as eBay considers that to mean that the item got where it was going)

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 15 of 21
latest reply