cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer never read description but stated they didn't in a message

I guess this is more of a statement rather than a question but I'm all ears on feelings about this situation, and thank you in advance for any.
I have items for sale that I went to task about taking detailed pics and putting together accurate, nonambiguous descriptions for. I had 8 or 9 IIRC and sold 4 without incident. I had a low feedback (3) buyer purchase one and received an eBay message from him that it was missing this and that and he couldn't test it without it. I said that it was clearly stated in the description that some items weren't included and his response was, and I quote, "I did not read description, just assumed it was
ready to use!"
I'd be willing to stand my ground with eBay if he filed a claim but the item is heavy (around 36 pounds shipping weight) and it would really tick me off to have to cough up the return shipping on an item where the buyer documented he didn't read the description.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Buyer never read description but stated they didn't in a message

It's hard to say without seeing the auction but if it was the printer with this in the description: "This unit *will not include* paper spindles, paper tray cassette, waste box, media or dye ribbons", you will probably lose.

I know very little about printers but I would assume all those things are necessary for the printer to work. Which wouldn't be a problem had you used the correct category, For parts or not working instead of Used.

Ebay policy is that in order for an item to be listed in the Used category, it must be fully operational and function as intended. (Of course there are exceptions like paper and ink which do not normally come with a printer but obviously are necessary. )

If those missing items were necessary to achieve that, then yes, you would lose a case and have to pay to have it shipped back. 

If the missing items were not necessary for the printer to work, then you would have a shot at fighting the return but you would have to call and point the rep to the buyer's message saying he didn't read the description.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Don't lose hope so easily.  I sold a TV Tuner, complete in box, buyer complained that it did not include an antenna.  No where in the listing was an antenna mentioned, I did not say it was or was not included.  These sets do not include antennaes, but do require one to work/test.  I called eBay and explained this all to customer service.  They closed the return in my favour, the customer returned the item on his dime and was refunded the purchase price.

Also worthy to note, a TV is also required to test or use the antenna and was not included.  I was not required to state that in the listing!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If you clearly stated which items were not included, and he admitted he didn't bother to read it, his bad.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Not to be overly simplistic or narrow minded to language, but.................

Some just can't.  Not English, at least.  They "see" something they'd like, can do a monetary conversion, then................no care about verbage in a description.  No fault.  Just the way it is.

Now, it's the English majors most would have a problem with!!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Do not refund still they paid for the return...  Paypal will put a hold on your account, but let it stay until you receive your item back before refunding.  Stand your ground...  Let them pay for the postage since they want to return...  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I would suggest here that the chances of getting a CS rep to understand the nuances of used printers would be slim to none, so focus instead on pointing out that your listing was correct, the unit was accurately described, the buyer doesn't dispute that it was accurately described, but says instead that he didn't read the description. You described the printer as Used because it is in working order; it's just that peripheral parts are not included.

You might even want to be ready to point the CS rep to another printer listing of yours (182534530339) which you listed as "For parts or not working," showing that you know how to properly label a dead item if it's dead. 

There's a distinction between "working"  and "ready to use." Your item is a used, working unit, even if it's not ready to use right out of the box. Had the buyer actually read the description, he would have understood that, so try to focus on that point, and not on the details of what bits and pieces are required, since you already explained that the parts that aren't there were listed in the description that wasn't read.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

These are sold exclusively AS-IS as a Final Sale and I make *no* claim as to functionality. I cannot accept returns

eBay allows SNAD returns on all items, which includes items listed as non-working, for parts only.  That is a fairly recent development that has been confirmed by the board Blues (@Anonymous). Your "Final Sale" is not final, and you do accept returns.

You have to consider your risk before you list.  Selling a non-working, complex, heavy item that is missing integral operating parts for $85, which costs $75 to ship one way, makes absolutely no sense.  Consider that you could easily eat $150 in shipping both ways, plus your cost of acquisition, if buyer files a return for refund. Alternatively, a refund without return on a SNAD would set you back the buyer's payment plus cost of acquisition.

Your risk of monetary loss is high on that item (no cords, cables, or paper trays!).  Think before you list non-working, complex, heavy items!

Write your descriptions for the non-native English speakers, the mobile users who won't bother to scroll and click to read the description because they have have buyer protection...the careless or hurried buyer, and the inattentive buyer.   The item is not in demand and there are plenty of working units listed.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for that information but I'm a little confused about something. If the buyer paid for the item and shipping, then won eBay over for the return and subsequent refund and I had to pay for return shipping, wouldn't that mean I'd break even?
I imagine if it were that way that I could email him a pdf return shipping label, too, yes?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@djzionyc wrote:

Thank you for that information but I'm a little confused about something. If the buyer paid for the item and shipping, then won eBay over for the return and subsequent refund and I had to pay for return shipping, wouldn't that mean I'd break even?
I imagine if it were that way that I could email him a pdf return shipping label, too, yes?

If they "win eBay over for the return and subsequent refund", that is likely coming out of your pocket, not eBay's. You would not break even if you had to refund item price, original shipping and also return shipping.

Yes, you can upload a return label to the case. But if eBay makes the decision vs you accepting the return then eBay will provide a label (charged to you).

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It really irks me when a buyer (who doesn't read the description) comes back with a "parts are missing" complaint. If they would just read rather than assume, they would know that other components would need to be purchased separately. Unfortunately, I've had to accept returns because of the reason for the request (doesn't match description), but I always fight it when I know they are either lying or just didn't bother to read. If you are in the right and can prove it, ebay allows you to deduct the return shipping cost and a restocking fee (if your listing is setup to charge restocking fee on your item).

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

If you are in the right and can prove it, ebay allows you to deduct the return shipping cost and a restocking fee (if your listing is setup to charge restocking fee on your item).

OP does not offer returns. This would not apply to them.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Ah, new buyer problems.  New buyers tend to not read the entire description.  Your buyer admitted to not reading it in full, therefore you should not have to accept the return.  How expensive are the parts he thought would be included?  Can you possibly send a note to the buyer, saying something like "those parts can be found right here on ebay for $10 (or whatever the prices are)?

Sometimes, I have said the following at the very beginning of my listing:

******PLEASE READ ITEM DETAILS IN FULL*****

That way they CAN'T miss!!

And at the bottom I say "questions are welcome before purchasing".  

Hope that helps!!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Write your descriptions for the non-native English speakers, the mobile users who won't bother to scroll and click to read the description because they have have buyer protection...the careless or hurried buyer, and the inattentive buyer.   The item is not in demand and there are plenty of working units listed.

Well, the OP only ships to the USA, and ebay really needs to put the BIN/BID button only AFTER the description was at least accessed on the app or mobile site(Ionly ever use the classic site on my phone - would never download an ebay app). 

The careless, hurried, inattentive buyer shouldn't have so much buyer protection. Maybe then they would learn how to function in real life.