cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is asking for a refund wants to me file insurance for missing package

I sold an item a month ago and received a good rating for the item. Now the buyer told me they received someone else’s package with my torn label on it. I asked my post office if that was possible and they said the tracking number was scanned in not typed in so it’s not likely. Buyer is now asking for a refund. What should I do?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

What does your tracking number show?

i would tell her postal Insurance doesn't  pay for not received or missing or wrong item delivered  if tracking shows delivered.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like you shipped with tracking, and it was delivered a month ago and the buyer left positive feedback. Is that correct?

Now they are contacting you stating they received someone else's package with your label. ????

I would just about ignore them, but I'm sure some others can suggest other options. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@toninosgaragesale 

Tell them to file an INR claim.  When you get notice of the claim, provide the tracking number and you should be good.  However, the customer can still file a chargeback on their cc/paypal.  They'll get their money back from you and get to keep the laptop as well, since you don't accept returns.  Start accepting returns.  In eBay land, no returns does not mean no refunds.

Happy Selling.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This is just a guess, but I see you have very low feedback. Which to some buyers indicate a new / inexperienced seller. Which means, "I'll try a scam and see if it works." The problem is that it's usually a losing battle with eBay since they're going to side with the buyer 99% of the time.

If the buyer files a case with eBay you're going to have to upload tracking information to eBay. (I know they already have it in their system, but you'll have to upload screenshots anyway). You could also mention that you talked to the post office on x date at xyz post office and spoke to abcd employee. Then eBay will make it's decision on whether to refund your buyer. Don't expect a positive result. The problem with this is that even if eBay sides with the buyer and makes you pay them back, the buyer can still leave negative feedback, which you don't want.

Or you could do this.

Decide the value of the item you sold. If it's not worth fighting about consider it as the cost of doing business (In other words you know they stole from you, but it's not worth the hassle), refund the buyer if they open a case, and then block that buyer on your blocked buyer list. Infuriating, yes. It may be the best way to go if you plan on being a seller on this platform

How do your prevent people from taking "shots" due to your low feedback rating? Two ways.

1) Buy things on eBay that you would use in real life. (Soap, pencils, etc.) Leave + feedback. Many sellers have an auto-feedback feature. If a buyer leaves feedback then it's automatically reciprocated. Some sellers have auto-feedback for purchases. If you buy from them they automatically leave + feedback.

2) Consider selling  low value items at 0 or even slightly - profit. Leave feedback on anyone who purchases from you. They may reciprocate and help build up your feedback numbers.

3) One Caveat - Don't nag people to leave you feedback. It irritates them and may result in them giving you a negative feedback rating for pestering them.

Good luck

Boldrocket

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Doesn't eBay now offer seller protection especially when tracking shows delivered a month ago and now the buyer seems to be making a false claim. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Doesn't eBay now offer seller protection especially when tracking shows delivered a month ago and now the buyer seems to be making a false claim. 

If the buyer files an INR, they are covered through Ebay if tracking shows it was delivered.

If they go to their funding source, not much Ebay can do.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Did they simply message you and ask for a refund or did they open an eBay claim or a chargeback? If they opened a claim/chargeback what was the reason. If it has been 30 past the delivery date they are beyond the deadline for opening an eBay claim but that has not stopped some buyers from doing so. The have up to 6 months to open a chargeback. Do NOT unilaterally refund the buyer. 

I only see one sold item and you do not accept returns which in reality means little. It does not equate to no refunds. You are a fairly new seller and electronic items are a high priority target for scammers. Check with your local PO they may be able to provide a picture of the package when they dropped it at the buyers location. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals 

My concern is the buyer will file the chargeback.  This is definitely as scam attempt to get both the money and the lap top.  I was just throwing some ideas around not realizing it had been past the 30 mark. The buyer even left feedback claiming as described. eBay better back the OP like they say they do.  Lately given some of the posts here, they have dropped the ball a few times.  Sad. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

If the buyer files an INR, they are covered through Ebay if tracking shows it was delivered.

If they go to their funding source, not much Ebay can do.

Sellers are usually covered for non-receipt claims filed as payment disputes when they have confirmed delivery to the address on the order.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

They left positive feedback.

Its been more than a month?

I wouldn't respond to buyer anymore.

You had tracking and it was mailed...eBay has tracking number and shows delivered.

Just ignore them.

Maybe they don't know about doing a charge back on their credit card.

Block the buyer.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@toninosgaragesale 

Sounds like either you have a "tree shaker"....i.e. try to rattle the seller into a refund, or a confused buyer. Are we to understand this was just sent in a "message" and no claim has been filed? 

Possible reply:  

Dear buyer,

Have you perhaps confused this item for one form another seller?  Tracking shows this was delivered (include date and time) and you left positive feedback for the transaction on (include date).  
Sincerely, 

You

Your buyer can no longer file a claim on eBay for "item not received" if the time for doing so has passed (30 days past the date of delivery) .  Should they file a claim via PayPal (if they paid that way), or their credit card company you have seller protection for INR claims as well.  I would make a hard copy or screen shot of that page that shows "delivered".  

If the ultimate goal for the buyer is to 'get this for free' at your expense, they will file a Payment Dispute (aka credit card chargeback for "not as described".  

To what city/state did you ship this item?  

If the buyer has filed an eBay claim. just reply with the tracking number and you should be good. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yeah it was my first item sold on eBay still trying to figure out how all this works. The buyer sent me a picture of the box they received. It wasn’t the box I shipped and my label was torn in half and on the box. I did speak to my post office and they told me the label was scanned at delivery and not keyed in so the picture is clearly a scam. I’m just going to take some advice I seen on here and not respond and wait. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply