cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed item not received case after they realized their address was not updated, item delivered

Hi, 

Super frustrating situation. Buyer filed an "item not received" case after delivery of their item to an old address. USPS tracking shows delivered "In/At Mailbox" of the address that was provided at the time of sale. I re-uploaded the delivered tracking number into the case but that's not giving me an option to close it. I can only refund or contact the buyer.  

And when I try to seek additional help for this request ebay's automated system is saying "We still show that this item is on the way to the buyer" How is that possible when I have a concreted delivered tracking number from 10/14.  I'm stuck in some stupid loop and can't get any help for this, all the while my funds are on hold. 

I do feel sorry for the buyer for their mistake and would certainly help get the the package if it is returned to me, but there is no evidence that that will happen. 

What do I do now? How can I escalate this? I cant find any help option that triggers "let ebay step in and help", I can only get the automated chat assistant, which is a dead end. 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer filed item not received case after they realized their address was not updated, item deliv

In the INR dispute, make sure you add the tracking number...

In the comments section, I would put the following:

"This was sent to the buyers CONFIRMED Ebay address on the order: (then copy and paste in the address on the order).

Tracking shows delivered on (copy and paste the tracking history from the USPS site)

It may take four days to close out

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Buyer filed item not received case after they realized their address was not updated, item deliv

You're fine here @savoyshop . Tracking shows delivery. When you're presented the option to ask eBay to step in a few days from now, do that. The case will be found in your favor.

After the non-receipt case is closed it's up to you if you want to keep working with the buyer. I'd go ahead and refund them less shipping/fees.

Unless the buyer's attitude indicates adding them to your blocked list is more appropriate.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

What does tracking show today? Could this be a new scam? 

Buyer claimed not delivered. Oops! I forgot to change my address on eBay. 

I'm sure they would have requested their mail to be forwarded to the new address thru USPS. Maybe that is what is happening, and they are trying to take advantage? 

What site still shows the package in movement? eBay shipping status will not match the USPS site. USPS will have the latest and greatest update on package movement. 

Let it ride out for now. Don't refund. Just keep communicating to the buyer within the case for eBay to see and for your records. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Your case will close in your favor it’s not instantaneous it does take some time. I actually had an INR take about 3 weeks to close. 
Just be a little patient.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@jerseyboymusic  eBay no longer confirms addresses. The OP only has to deliver to the address provided with the payment. That's  what they should say in the comments- delivered to the address provided with the payment.

@wastingtime101  Why should they go ahead and refund the buyer less shipping fees? 

The seller did their job and sent it to the address they were given. If the package is returned then they should refund but not until it's  returned. It might not get returned.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

@wastingtime101  Why should they go ahead and refund the buyer less shipping fees? 

The seller did their job and sent it to the address they were given. If the package is returned then they should refund but not until it's  returned. It might not get returned.

I agree. I thought it was returned which is why I suggested that. My mistake.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This buyer needs to take a little responsibility; they aren't a victim.  If they didn't change their address in eBay and didn't put in a forwarding address at the post office, and the package was indeed delivered to the old address, then their next step should be to contact the person now living at their old address and see if they can't get their package back that way.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Absolutely do not refund until you get your item back(if ever). The buyer will lose the eBay case and one with his credit card if he decides to go that route(which you’ll be protected from anyway in this case). Just standby and go through the motions. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I am having the exact same problem. After the item was mailed, my buyer messaged me and actually admitted in the message he "did a stupid thing" and did not update his address. Tracking with USPS shows "delivered to agent." Not sure what "agent" means in USPS speak, but it was delivered. Now the buyer, despite admitting his mistake, has filed an item not received case. I responded with the tracking number and also detailed the situation in the comments, but eBay has not closed the case. It's just sitting there. My only options are to refund, upload tracking or send the buyer a message.  Seems to me that uploading proof of delivery should automatically close this case in my favor. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It _should_, but eBay being eBay.  At least these days they've finally put that much seller protection in. Had the buyer filed an SNAD you'd be out of luck. (don't even think of telling the buyer about filing an SNAD.) 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

It _should_, but eBay being eBay.  At least these days they've finally put that much seller protection in. Had the buyer filed an SNAD you'd be out of luck. (don't even think of telling the buyer about filing an SNAD.) 

How could they file a SNAD without being in possession of the item, in order to return it?  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It happens more frequently than you think. Buyer files INR, case closes then they file INAD to get their money back. They ship back nothing but a letter with a return label. Seller is forced to refund. Buyer feels vindicated, eBay doesn’t care.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Hmmm, but how frequently?  I can't recall ever seeing a thread here where that happened to a seller. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@evelyb30 wrote:

How could they file a SNAD without being in possession of the item, in order to return it? 

There are 10 reasons for Why are you returning? (Doesn't seem authentic was dropped when AG started.) 

sasa790592_0-1700948276089.jpeg

For 9 of them eBay requires that something is returned with tracking, to get a refund.

But what does eBay expect to be returned for Missing parts or pieces

-- when those parts or pieces or the entire item itself is missing

-- to return a missing part/piece/item for your refund?

Message 15 of 15
latest reply