cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed dispute via payment institute???

So it was long succesful road without any disputes and once first one comes buyer is scamming the item. The estimated delivery date is nowhere near but once I responded to buyers message about shipping and provided info that it is indeed shipped even though without tracking he responded that he will wait... but apparently not.

It says: 

Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on xxxxx. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution.

and the reason is that they haven't received the item which is not surprising because it hasn't been on the way for long (international sale).

Is this a chargeback and is there penalty fee to be expected?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Buyer filed dispute via payment institute???

@ittybitnot wrote:

The OP is from Brazil so that is a real issue for them to use tracking as it isn't cheap.

@mam98031 

I think the original poster is from Finland. Maybe he moved?

I'm aware, thank you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 34
latest reply

For some reason, buyer's payment institute ruled this dispute in my favor. Maybe buyer either mixed up orders, started to regret (canceled dispute?) or something.

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

For some reason, buyer's payment institute ruled this dispute in my favor. Maybe buyer either mixed up orders, started to regret (canceled dispute?) or something.

A couple of things could have happened. You mentioned that you did not dispute the chargeback so there is nothing for the CC company to decide upon. Did you refund the buyer when you accepted the dispute? If so again nothing for the CC to rule on buyer was refunded case closed. 

If you did not refund the buyer and the CC ruled in your favor it may be that eBay simply refunded the buyer and informed the CC company that you had done so and the case was closed you may want to check your financial transaction information. 

It could be that even though you accepted the dispute the buyer has a repeated history of opening chargebacks with his/her CC company and the CC company has cut off their ability to use that process or even canceled their card. Chargebacks, or friendly fraud, is a multi-billion dollar problem for CC companies and requires significant overhead to deal with them. As a result most CC companies monitory not only card holders but businesses as well that have a repeated history of high chargeback cases and will terminate/cancel a cardholders account or prohibit a businesses ability to accept their CC as a payment method. 

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

No, I did not refund, I accepted it and I think I later tried to refund to speed up the process but since dispute was accepted I recall that it was not possible. So I just waited for them to reach conclusion and take funds.

I noticed that the feedback buyer gave me has also disappeared, it was positive feedback so it wasn't a problem.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply