cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer complains of missing component even though photos show it as missing

I was a Top Rated seller 100% FB until today! I recently sold a countertop knife sharpener and included detailed photos which clearly shows 1 of the 4 Rubber feet was missing.  The photos also clearly show that the cosmetic condition is superb with no marks or other defects on the entire Sharpener body.

My buyer received the item and immediately left a Neg FB stating that the Rubber foot was missing, the Sharpener was heavily scratched and that the Sharpener magnet had metal fragments on it. 

Also, it may not necessarily be pertinent but I accepted an offer on the item for $90.00 with Free Shipping.  Identical items typically sell $110.00-$125.00 in the same condition.

Despite the Buyer’s unhappiness they did not request a return on the item. 

Frankly, that is very suspect.  I’m now wondering if their intention is to use it for 29 days and then request a return.  A quick check of their FB left for others tends to confirm that suspicion.  Out of the last 25 FB left for Sellers 6 were negative and 2 were neutral and comments from those Sellers confirm the Buyer “fishes” for full or partial refunds.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Can my photos be used as proof of condition

2. Can I have the FB removed (I qualify for Enhanced Top Rated protections)

3.  How should I proceed at this point.

I have not contacted the Buyer, replied to the FB or contacted eBay and I am hoping to get some advise from knowledgeable eBay members.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I should have noted the Sharpener was sold in Used condition so obviously there could be Metal residue on the Magnet from previous use.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Photos are not enough, you have to describe any defects also.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you want protection from these type of claims, your description must include every flaw of the item. Pictures alone will not do. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

This is not sufficient, it's asking for trouble. As a seller you need to stand behind your item, not leave any questions for them to figure out for themselves. Your sharpener was very under-described, sorry.

How Not to List:

"Anything not shown in the included listing photos or mentioned in the listing description above are not included.

Please consult with Chef’s Choice or other online sources if you require specifics regarding this item prior to bidding."

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

In this case, you were in the wrong.

There's NOTHING in the description or in the item specific stating that it's missing a foot and in fact, you state in seller notes in the item specifics that it's “Exc++ Pre-Owned condition. Fully tested.”

The item isn't "as described" and if the buyer opens a return request, you either issue a refund without a return or if you want it back, you need to pay return shipping and will issue a full refund upon receipt of the return. 

And although you didn't ask for further unsolicited comments, I'm giving them anyway!

"Items returned for incompatibility or remorse purchase are subject to a 35%-50% restocking fee."

^^^^^ This (from your listing) is NOT allowed! You cannot charge restocking fees. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 6
latest reply