cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer committing fraud...

Sold a Brand new iPhone 6 on ebay and buyer opens a return saying I sent him a broken HTC phone with a cracked screen. Buyer has 2 feedback and account was just recently created. I have all original recepts and paperwork including IMEI and Serial Number. I have sold dozens of iphones and never had this issue (1000+ feedback). Do I even have any hope of winning? What to do.....

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyer committing fraud...

Block the buyer first.  They obviously have a broke phone that they are going to upgrade with yours.

Report the buyer to ebay using the link for abuse of buyer protection - claiming item was different than what you shipped.

Then call ebay CS - ask for a US rep in resolutions (if you hear an Asian accent, hang up and call back) and tell them that you deal in new phones and not used broke ones and you would like the buyer to supply the serial number of the phone they are claiming damage - that the one you shipped them had number xxxxxxx.  And that you will happily report the phone stolen and if it can be locked, it will.

That you would like to deny the return (if it is only a return request) and if it is a snad, to have it closed in your favor.  Because you shipped a new phone to them and they must have you confused with someone else. 

There have been hints that a seller has a much better chance of winning an obvious scam attempt if they fight back before they authorize a return, than ok-ing the return and filing police and mail fraud reports after they get back the buyers old broke junk.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If you sold this phone under the same user ID you're posting from, there's no indication in sold listings for any phones including an iPhone 6. I do see that you left negative FB for another seller in Canada that you purchased an iPhone 6 "for parts or not working" on Sep 08.

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Also when you speak to customer service point them to their own policy on this page, http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buying-practices.html. On the section for "How sellers can report policy violations" point out the line(s) that say, "When we review a report of a member violating our policies, we look at the circumstances, including the members' history. We make decisions based on the evidence in the individual situation, as well as by evaluating patterns of behavior that create a negative value in the marketplace." 

Point out to the cs rep that the buyer has very little feedback and you have alot and tell them that their policy clearly states that they will take this fact into consideration when making a decision.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Its currently only a return request, I called ebay and discussed with them. The said I have to wait and myself take it to a case. I will give them a call again, I have provided them with more information.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

They have not left a feedback yet. I do buy multiple phones to refurb them and sometimes sellers mislead with their description. This isint about what I buy its what i sold.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If it is only a return request, you have a couple of days to try to get the buyer to admit that they are scamming or made a mistake.  If you have the serial number and didn't put it in the listing - it isn't a good idea to put the whole number into the listing, ask the buyer what the serial number is.  Also let the buyer know that you will report the phone that you shipped them as stolen and it will be locked by the company.

If the buyer ignores you, then you can call CS in a day or so and point out that fact to them and that since the buyer is not responding, you would like to deny their claim. 

There is another thread where the same thing has happened (different item) and the OP reports that the CS will find for you if the buyer does not respond to attempts to 'work it out' with them.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I never put the serial or imei in my listings, If buyer request to see if its clean i just screenshot the blacklist or icloud results. Thank you for your info.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

You might want to phrase it something like this.

Dear buyer,

Could you please supply the serial number of the phone you are having the problem with?  I think that you might have me confused with a different seller as i sold and shipped you  a new phone.  If the serial numbers do not match, and you are sure taht it is the phone i sent you, I will reort the phone stolen to the company to have it locked and to the PO for rifling of their mail.

You.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

He has responded now and will send me the imei and info of the "phone he got". Its pretty obvious he's trying to get a new phone for free.

@gthe9671 wrote:

Sold a Brand new iPhone 6 on ebay and buyer opens a return saying I sent him a broken HTC phone with a cracked screen. Buyer has 2 feedback and account was just recently created. I have all original recepts and paperwork including IMEI and Serial Number. I have sold dozens of iphones and never had this issue (1000+ feedback). Do I even have any hope of winning? What to do.....

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

If the buyer does not send it, then repeat the request and then call CS the next day.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@gthe9671 wrote:

He has responded now and will send me the imei and info of the "phone he got". Its pretty obvious he's trying to get a new phone for free.

It would be pretty funny if the IMEI of the old used HTC phone could be traced back to the buyer... Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@gthe9671 wrote:

I have all original recepts and paperwork including IMEI and Serial Number.

What to do.....

You should be able to lock it from use, can't you?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

gthe..

You  are  certainly  free to the many do  all many  things  Retrose  advised  you  to  do.  But I  believe  she   is  leading  you astray.  You have no  proof  of  what   you  actually    sent  to the buyer.   And  Ebay knows  that.     You  said  you  already  talked    to  CS---but    did   they  give  you  any  reassurance  that  they  would  protect you?      It sounds as though  what they  did instead  is to tell you  to contact  Ebay  and put the  decision in Ebay's   hands!   In the  past  when   they  have  told  other  selllers  to do  that-----    it has    been  the Kiss  of Death (for the seller.):smileysad:

Message 15 of 17
latest reply