cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item arrived damaged

I have a buyer who claims the necklace he purchased arrived damaged. It was sent undamaged. The photos he sent show the item was intentionally broken to claim a return. It was impossible for the item to have the type of damage sustained as he claims. It was sent USPS ground advantage.  What is the best way to proceed. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My experience is that you can't fight this.  Ask for pictures of the box as well as the item before you refund.

@cambriachick 

We don't even know if @eye-of-the-tiger-gifts 's buyer has filed a claim.  Perhaps the seller would like the remaining undamaged beads returned BEFORE giving a refund once the claim is made.  Simply refunding seems a bit premature at this point. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

My experience is that you can't fight this.  Ask for pictures of the box as well as the item before you refund.  If you don't refund, eBay will and you'll get a defect.  Then file a claim with USPS, since ground advantage is insured.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Has the buyer opened a claim with eBay? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@eye-of-the-tiger-gifts 

Has the buyer filed a "not as described" claim with eBay, or are they just messaging you? 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If the buyer has opened a return for NAD, you have to allow them to return it or just refund their money. If you don't, eBay WILL and you will get an account defect to boot. Like it or not, sometimes this happens. 

Block the buyer from being able to buy from you in the future.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

My experience is that you can't fight this.  Ask for pictures of the box as well as the item before you refund.

@cambriachick 

We don't even know if @eye-of-the-tiger-gifts 's buyer has filed a claim.  Perhaps the seller would like the remaining undamaged beads returned BEFORE giving a refund once the claim is made.  Simply refunding seems a bit premature at this point. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Return for a Refund.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If the buyer has opened a Not as Described claim - send a return shipping label. Once you receive the item refund the buyer.

USPS is really good at noting damage on packages. IF the package is not damaged there is little to no chance you will be able to get any money from USPS.

The insurance is seldom paid out.

If the buyer is just sending messages of damage, respond "Im so very sorry. I have no clue how this could happen. Please return for refund"

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

What kind of damage is he claiming that is impossible to have sustained in shipping? 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

No Just asked for a refund including postage. Thank you 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It was both.  Item arrived damage. and they emailed me asking for a full return.Thank you so much!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@eye-of-the-tiger-gifts wrote:

No Just asked for a refund including postage. Thank you 

Did he open a return request citing the damage as the reason? Or did he just message you?

If there's no request open, tell him to open a return request, which after receiving it, you'll accept. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@cambriachick wrote:

Ask for pictures of the box as well as the item before you refund. 

The buyer isn't required to send pictures unless required by ebay in the return request. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 13 of 13
latest reply