cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims doesn't work & defective..

I sold a CPU a few weeks ago that I purchased a little over a month ago. It's in pristine condition and I have pictures of it running well on my rig. Proper temps/ID number the works.

The buyer received it and it's now claiming that it's defective and doesn't work. That I "clearly abused it and sold him something broken" that's the furthest thing from the truth specially since I've outline earlier. I have my ducks on the row, It was shipped with tracking and signature (within the states) and images of it before and after shipping were taken. 

He has not provided a single image to back up the claims that it's broken and I'm starting to suspect he had no idea what he was doing during the isntallation process and broke the **bleep** thing. I'm not going to accept the return until he can prove his claims and even then once I get it (If that even happens) I will test it myself.

If it turns out that it's actually the item I sent him and he broke it, what can I do to fight this? I know I sent him a working item. Ebay sides with buyers all the time. I'm fully aware of this but can they really just break an item and return it to a seller? is it that **bleep** easy?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer claims doesn't work & defective..

I'm sorry to say that I think it is that easy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

He has not provided a single image to back up the claims that it's broken

Buyers are not required to provide any such information.  eBay accepts their word whether it is true or not. 

is it that **bleep** easy?

Yes, and you have to pay the freight to 'maybe' get it back. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buddy. I so much feel your pain. I had a customer return a tail light that did not fix his problem. He even admitted it was a wiring problem that he found and fixed. When he sent it back it had a crack in it. I only refunded him half of the price. But a lot of good that did me as eBay said it was returned to you. It does not matter the condition and they refunded the customer the rest of the price of the light. Now the light is useless and I had to pay the shipping both directions.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@maobserver wrote:
I'm not going to accept the return until he can prove his claims and even then once I get it (If that even happens) I will test it myself.

If it turns out that it's actually the item I sent him and he broke it, what can I do to fight this? I know I sent him a working item. Ebay sides with buyers all the time. I'm fully aware of this but can they really just break an item and return it to a seller? is it that **bleep** easy?

Here are my comments:

1. When you have a listing with "no returns", and a buyer wants to return an item, then some will lie about the condition in order to activate the Money Back Guarantee and get a return.  So, the item may be fine.
  2. With the MBG, you must accept the return or eBay will do unpleasant things to you.
  3. Yes, a few people will break things, return things that are not what you sent, etc.   This is a loophole of the Money Back Guarantee ... it is that easy, and thieves know about it.  But, it is rare - most buyers are good.  Regardless, the golden rule of eBay is not to sell something that you can't afford to lose - for example, we don't sell anything over $200 on eBay because eBay will not allow us to screen buyers, does not punish bad buyers, and does not give sellers sufficient tools to combat theft and fraud.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sorry re-read my post and I did not put in that I did challenge their findings and did get back half the price of the useless light.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply