cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claimed they received empty package...Is there any way to protect against this situation?

Recently I have been reading through the forum quite a bit and found there are many people that experienced similar circumstances to what I did a while ago...

A buyer purchased an item from me (t shirt). I shipped it. They claimed that when they received it that it was torn open. They suggested it had been tampered with or stolen. They also said that the package was filled with large bubbles. I have never shipped a t-shirt with large bubbles. I ship all my t shirts in plastic ziplock bags to water-seal them against the elements. The buyer claiming there were bubbles inside made my spidey senses tingle. The buyer filed a claim. I called the actual USPS location that delivered the package. Spoke to a gentleman who assured me that if the package was delivered without the contents, they would mark it as such. He even went so far as to say "between you and me that package was delivered as you sent it." I also called ebay customer service while the case was open. They said there was nothing I could do until the buyer submitted more documentation/claim with USPS I would imagine.) I was told to be patient and that I could call back in a weeks time or so to check in on the case.

Throughout the process I was very diplomatic with the buyer and ebay. I was even reassured at one point by customer service that a decision would not be made without notifying me. That put me at ease. Then one morning out of the blue I received a notification on my phone stating that money had been moved from my paypal and that I had refunded a buyer. I called ebay, my call was elevated to "the highest authority on the matter," and I asked why they sided with the buyer without even consulting me first. I had the USPS employee's statement in my back pocket and I was hoping to debunk the claim with ebay once they notified me about next steps. However, after telling the woman on the phone about my conversation with USPS, she said that there was nothing more to be done and it is what it is. I asked what information was given that resulted in the case closing so abruptly. The representative said that she could not reveal why they sided with the buyer for the buyer's own protection. I was absolutely baffled. It made me wonder how serious a claim they made with me. And what level of authority they had involved.

The package was valuable, worth about $200. So this buyer definitely had motive to commit fraud in my opinion. Also, I went to the buyer's page, and they resell the very same item that they bought from me that they claimed they hadn't received. Coincidence? Doubt it. Regardless, I waited a while and called appeals to see if there was anything more I could do. I stated again to the appeals rep that I personally spoke on the phone with the local USPS facility and that an employee assured me that the package was delivered as sent. (Funny side note: I asked the USPS employee to put their statement in writing, they refused.) I was told again there was nothing they could do. And that if I wanted to, I could use the buyer's personal information in their ebay profile to file a report with the police. Has anyone done this and seen a positive result?

It's been a while since this situation happened, but as I said I started reading similar cases on the forum here and it got me thinking. My question is...how is it possible for the buyer to win this case when they provided no proof whatsoever? Yet I had confirmed delivery (with contents) and verbal USPS statement? Ebay has to know that there are people committing fraud, and I would bet a lot of these cases look and sound very similar.

Beyond the case itself, does anyone know if there is any way to prevent this type of fraudulent claim, period? I myself asked USPS about insurance and they said even if I had insurance in this scenario, that they delivered the package WITH the contents and that there was no evidence to dispute otherwise. And that insurance would not cover the time inbetween the package being delivered and the buyer opening it. So they wouldn't be liable regardless. So then what the heck is insurance for?

Hoping to figure out how to prevent this in the future if possible. Also hoping an ebay representative will see this and have some compassion. And perhaps shed some light on how to protect yourself / argue a better defense  as a seller (aside from blocking them).

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Buyer claimed they received empty package...Is there any way to protect against this situation?

@laurabeardsley wrote:

The max. weight for a first class package is under 13 oz.

If you use online postage, it is 15.99 oz as sam stated.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

Re: Buyer claimed they received empty package...Is there any way to protect against this situation?

@laurabeardsley wrote:

The max. weight for a first class package is under 13 oz.

13 oz. IS the max rate for over the counter, but 15.99 oz. is the max rate for purchasing on-line.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Whoa! Great Idea!

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

We also signature track everything and it works extremely well for would be "I did not get it" claims.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

We also signature track everything and it works extremely well for would be "I did not get it" claims.

Delivery Confirmation (now included with most services) works just as well for any claim under $750, and it isn't a pain in the backside for your buyers.

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Sounds like you are wasting a lot of money on Signature Confirmation.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

"The gentleman is just making that up. That is indeed how such parcels are supposed to be handled, but he has no idea whether or not that particular parcel was handled correctly. I have received damaged parcels without any such markings from USPS, FedEx and UPS."

Of course...this guy is simply deferring blame in the best interests of his job and his employer.

"If the parcel was worth insuring, insurance may well have made this loss USPS's problem rather than yours - regardless of whether the contents were lost by USPS or stolen by the buyer."

This may be the case, I've never filed an insurance claim. However, I walked into USPS the other day and asked if a package is stolen between the time its delivered and the time the person tries to open it, would it be covered by USPS insurance? They said no. In my mind, USPS would simply defer liability and the case would then be passed to ebay to resolve, which would then most likely burden the seller. I've not filed an insurance claim though, so perhaps I should try in the future if this situation occurs.

What if instead of buying insurance or signature confirmation, anyone who ships via USPS pays into an insurance fund that pays out when fault within claims can not be determined. You would pay a cent or two extra each item you shipped, and you'd be paying into an insurance program that would pay out for both parties come judgement day if investigations proved fruitless.
Message 37 of 47
latest reply

Is it too late to file if this happened close to 3/4 of a year ago?
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

If USPS is using equipment that strips packages of their contents, they need new machinery. This sounds like a USPS issue here, and the burden of this should not fall on the consumer or seller.
Message 39 of 47
latest reply

Buyer claimed they received empty package...Is there any way to protect against this situation?

Pack well?

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

@pritcha6 wrote:
If USPS is using equipment that strips packages of their contents, they need new machinery. This sounds like a USPS issue here, and the burden of this should not fall on the consumer or seller.

The USPS handles over 3 BILLION pieces of mail each week, if you want your mail to arrive within a few days, you have to have machinery.  If you package correctly, your item doesn't end up loose in the machinery.  This a packaging issue so the burden is appropriately placed upon the seller.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

This is one I have read also, it is a good way to make sure they are honest.
Mark
Message 42 of 47
latest reply

The USPS has a new app called informed delivery.

It shows a picture scanned by USPS of the mail or small package.

I had a laptop weight 9 pounds returned by buyer SNAD

I saw the flat package was coming via app and it was a flat that said 9 pounds.

Waited for mailman which I have known for 20 years.

I showed it to her and she stamped and returned to PO

Ebay of course found in buyers favor until the PO called and they changed venue.

It actually ended up in court costing buyers thousands in legal fees.

He did a plea agreement but paid a hefty amount.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

Interesting. I've used USPS Informed Delivery for a couple of years now. I have never received a scanned picture of a package. Mail, yes. Packages, no.
Message 44 of 47
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
Interesting. I've used USPS Informed Delivery for a couple of years now. I have never received a scanned picture of a package. Mail, yes. Packages, no.

Thank you.  I thought it was just for mail, not packages, but the OP seemed to be so pleased with it...

Message 45 of 47
latest reply