cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer chooses shipping

How do I list so that buyer always pays the shipping method I choose, such as first class?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer chooses shipping

You have to list it with the method that you choose as the only method offered and with the buyer paying the S&H. 

You could offer free shipping and simply add the cost into your asking price but that requires that you use the highest possible shipping cost in your calculations.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer chooses shipping

You have to list it with the method that you choose as the only method offered and with the buyer paying the S&H. 

You could offer free shipping and simply add the cost into your asking price but that requires that you use the highest possible shipping cost in your calculations.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

Buyers can only choose from among the shipping options that you have decided to offer in the listing.It's misleading for eBay to say that the buyer "chose" the shipping method when you only offer one "choice." If you set up your listing with only First Class shipping, then that's what the buyer will "choose."

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

If you only offer 1 choice, then they will have to 'choose' the 1 choice you offer.  

The only way they can choose is if YOU offer more than 1 option. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

One more question along these lines:  why isn’t first class shipping offered by eBay always. I’ve been finding (too late) that priority was the one chosen by eBay and I didn’t have the option for first class. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

eBay can't offer First Class for all listings - First Class is for packages under 1lb total weight.  If you go over that, USPS requires a different class.  Priority Mail is often the service used, but Parcel can also handle those larger packages.

During the 8-9yrs I was selling shoes (and self-employed), I offered two shipping options at the same rate - USPS and FedEx Ground.  What I noticed is that customers 'chose' whichever shipping option was presented first, even tho they could select either.  I even changed the charges, making whichever service was second be the cheaper one -- and the first service listed was still the mass favorite.

My conclusion was that most customers don't even think about shipping, or didn't at that time.  The checkout form has changed and those alternate options are more visible, but I believe the default is still the first service on the list.  Most folks never look and never change.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

@cottagecache wrote:

One more question along these lines:  why isn’t first class shipping offered by eBay always. I’ve been finding (too late) that priority was the one chosen by eBay and I didn’t have the option for first class. 

@cottagecache  B/C FC may not be allowed for the weight or type of the item.  eBay doesn't know what method you're going to need to use.  Some sellers use MM, some use Parcel, some pkgs have to go Priority.  It wouldn't be correct to always have FC as the default. 

ETA:  Also some items are restricted to ground travel & cannot go FC.  Those items can be more common than you think. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

It's ridiculous to pay  $100+ shipping on a $100 item.  That will discourage most buyers if time is not of the essence. I can understand the seller choosing the carrier, but the buyer should be able to choose service level.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

@phibroa_11 

This is an old thread from July of 2022, I doubt that person will reply.  Should you have any concerns or questions it's always a good idea to start your own thread to get the help and answers you need.  The mods will most likely shut this one down due to it's age & the best answer was chosen.

Happy New Year

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

@phibroa_11 wrote:

It's ridiculous to pay  $100+ shipping on a $100 item.  That will discourage most buyers if time is not of the essence. I can understand the seller choosing the carrier, but the buyer should be able to choose service level.

@phibroa_11 

No one is forcing you to buy that item at that shipping price. 
Sellers make the decision as to what carrier they use and the type of shipping that carrier provides.

Some sellers offer buyers a choice of shipping options some don’t.
You are free to find a seller that has the same item with a shipping cost you would be happy with. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Buyer chooses shipping

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply