cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer cancelled order after money received and fees taken out

I had a buyer change their mind about buying a 'pick up only' item long after they paid for it. Ebay released the money into my bank account and took out their fees. If I refund the buyers money - will ebay extract the full amount from my account INCLUDING their fees they already took out (meaning I pay the full amount PLUS Ebay's fees). Or does Ebay just take the money they gave me AFTER the fees were taken out?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you issue the refund, you'll pay the full amount, then Ebay will refund their fee's.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Your refund to the buyer will be the lesser amount you actually received.  The only way you would lose the fees is if you don't handle the refund and ebay has to step in.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It 'may' be a two-step process....(if they do it the way they do other transactions)

NOTE: This is very simplified to illustrate and assumes you do not have another sale while this is transpiring

If the total sale was 15.00, and the NET total (after fees) was $10.00, (and that was your payout) the day you refund, your account might show -15.00 balance (it is done in 'real-time')...

then, to satisfy that balance, they will do one of 2 things

1. Satisfy the negative balance with a 15.00 withdrawal from your backup source. Then, a day or two later, the fees (the $5.00 they took out) will be credited BACK to your account (less the .30 transaction fee)

OR---

2.  (the more likely scenario) You issue the full refund, account immediately shows a -10.00 balance (the amount that was actually sent to you via payout). They will withdraw the 10.00 from your backup source to satisfy the shortage, and credit the customer their total (you will never see the total) but you will still be dinged for the .30, so when it all washes out, you are out only the .30 cents.....

AND...as has been pointed out....this all assumes you do all the legwork and ebay does not 'step in'

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Would be curious to know how a buyer could cancel an order long after they had paid for it?  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The Jan 20th or 24th item? If that is the item, that is not a long time after being paid. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply