cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer cancelled an hour after winning auction..

I put up a 7 day auction and it was all going well, actually sold the item for more than I thought I would!

Here I am arranging everything with the buyer, about to ship out the item but then I get a message from them saying to cancel the order since they are going away and won’t be home..

Is there anything I can do or have I just wasted 7 days?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If the buyer asked to cancel, I'd cancel the order, it might save some problems later.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I believe the buyer has to formally cancel the order. Otherwise, eBay will charge you a fee on the bid.

If buyer hasn't paid...cancel after 4 days.

If buyer paid...you will not get the funds from the auction for 30+ days if you haven't sold anything in a month.

Buyer's funds will be on hold.

Refunding this buyer his payment will come out immediately of any of your "available funds"....no funds there  available then it comes from your bank account on file.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You CAN advise that the post office will hold his mail for free while he is away, as well.

Not sure what all the "arranging everything with the buyer" is. They pay, you pack and ship. Tomorrow. No contact or arranging needed. I don't even see any sold items on this account you are posting from

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@presiannenov wrote: ... then I get a message from them saying to cancel the order since they are going away and won’t be home....Is there anything I can do or have I just wasted 7 days?

Alas, a certain percentage of transactions are doomed, it's a cost of doing business. Just cancel the transaction, choosing "Buyer requested" as the reason. If you refuse to cancel it will probably just lead to headaches, especially if the request came in within an hour after the auction ended.  Better luck next time! Here's the eBay policy page about canceling:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I believe the buyer has to formally cancel the order. Otherwise, eBay will charge you a fee on the bid.

--------------------------------------------

When cancelling as "buyer requested" eBay accepts that as the reason even if only done in a message, and fees are refunded 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yes...I believe I said that.

"Buyer formally(buyer requested) cancel the order. Thus, seller marks it as cancel because buyer formally(requested) it. Thus, no fees.

Sometimes, we say it a little differently. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

eBay allows order cancellations read this link

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buyers-can-cancel-order/buyers-can-cancel-order?id=4004&st=3&pos=3&...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@presiannenov 

Sorry for your situation.  Unfortunately cancellations are allowed.  The buyer may have had an emergency or found a better price.  After 4 days, cancel the sale on day 5 and then block them.  Relist the item and hope all goes well.

Happy New Year.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@presiannenov ,

If a buyer asks to cancel. I would cancel and relist. Nothing good happens when you try and make a buyer pay fir something they no longer want. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@presiannenov ,

Instead of relisting it you can offer it to one of the underbidder. This will save time.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Yeah there's a whole set up for you to be able to offer it to the next highest bidder for what his highest bid was, called "second chance offer". 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Yes...I believe I said that.

"Buyer formally(buyer requested) cancel the order. Thus, seller marks it as cancel because buyer formally(requested) it. Thus, no fees.

Sometimes, we say it a little differently. 

I n the post that I responded to you said that

I believe the buyer has to formally cancel the order

Yup, must be a difference in speak/understand coast to coast🤣 

A "formal request" on eBay I would think would be comprised of the "request to cancel" that is done officially (formally) as an action available within the 1st hour after auction end , rather than just a messaged request.

In my post, I just wanted to clarify that the "official"  (formal) request is not a requirement to keep the seller from being credited fees.

Also to clarify for future readers, as I am sure that you already know, a buyer can't cancel an order formally, or informally.

Have a good New Year

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@presiannenov Calling this a waste of seven days is hyperbolic. Your auction attracted views over those seven days from others who will once again be interested when you re-list the same item. There are no guarantees when selling online. That buyer could have simply never paid you, they could have returned the item, or the package could have been lost in the mail in which you would have had to refund the buyer. Plenty of other scenarios where you could have lost both the sale and the item. This way you still have the item to sell once again. Try to remain more positive. Best of luck to you....

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

EBay sucks newbies into Auctions because that is their Brand, the last of the generalist online auction sites, and experienced sellers won't use them.

Over 85% of listings are Fixed Price and most Auctions include either Best Offer or Buy It Now which end the auction.

Unless you are selling scarce collectibles, you are better off researching Sold items for price comparisons (comps) and listing for 30 days with Immediate Payment Required.

And you have one comp of your own from this sale.

More eyeballs, faster payment.

Buyers prefer the Immediate Gratification of FixedPrice too.

Agree to cancel.

The buyer was polite enough to warn you of their situation,so consider letting them know if you relist as Fixed Price so they can try again if it hasn't sold before they return.

Or you could note their ID and send a Message to them when you do relist, Auction or Fixed Price.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply