cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought wrong item, wants refund

Hi everybody, 

I would like some input from the community on this one.

I am a new seller here on eBay. I have sold around 20 items so far and everything has gone smoothly. I now have 7 positive feedback from buyers.

I sold an item, which happened to be a very specific item; an expansion module for a networking switch. I sent the module, as described in the listing (which included exact part number) and in good working order. 

a few days after the buyer received it, they send me a picture of the item jammed into an incompatible networking device. They say it doesn’t work with their 2920 series switch. They want their money back.

I respond politely and tell them that I’m sorry for their situation, but that the item in the listing was delivered as described and in good working order. I cannot be held responsible because they failed to properly research the proper model of item that they needed to purchase to be compatible with their equipment. I provided a link to my items .pdf data sheet where it clearly states that it’s compatible with only 2910 series switches, not 2920.

a few more days go by, I sign into my eBay and check my seller page. Suddenly my cash outs are “on hold” and my account is “under review”. Buyer sends another message that they have contacted eBay and told them that my item does not work and they want a refund. They said eBay will be in touch with me.

I respond once again and tell buyer it is not my fault that they did not know the correct item to purchase, and bought my item... which is incompatible with their system. I then report the buyer for the false claim they are making that my item does not work. Of course it does not work- buyer sent me a oicture of the item jammed into their incorrect model switch, it doesn’t even fit in the slot properly. Of course it doesn’t work, you bought the wrong thing!

obviously this is very frustrating because I have to imagine that this buyers complaint is the direct cause of my account payouts being put on hold. What’s more is I’m supposed to continue shipping out items for other sales when I don’t even know what’s going to happen with this hold/review.

so a couple questions:

1) what’s the official policy on a situation like this one? I can’t possibly be in the wrong here can I? 

2) I read online that eBay usually sides with the buyer. I’m afraid the person reviewing my case won’t take the time to understand what happened and decide in the buyers favor. Because I am new, I worry if my account and pending funds will ever even be returned to regular status.

should I be this concerned? Anybody ever dealt with something like this?

3) Finally, the buyer is claiming that my item is broken or defective when they don’t even have the correct model switch to confirm this. I have an image of the module jammed into a non fitting slot by the buyer... it’s completely possible that my perfectly good item now IS broken ... broken by the buyer.

what can I do?

thank you

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Buyer bought wrong item, wants refund

These '5 day reviews but you're still welcome to sell" are so disingenuous when 9 times out of 10 when we read about these it ends up with the seller being suspended and even more $$ being held they have to wait to have sent to their state before they can get it.

If you're going to suspend their payouts while you 'review' why encourage them to sell even more ?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Re: Buyer bought wrong item, wants refund

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply