cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought my toner that doesn't fit his machine

1. The buyer had a weird request for shipping. He was staying at a hotel and wanted copier toner to be sent to his hotel since it was urgent? weird. whatever, did it.

2. I have the model # and the machines it is made for on the TITLE and BODY of the listing.

3. He messages me today saying the toner doesn't work for his model (not one that was listed in my description) a month after receipt (shipped it 4/4), asking me what we can do about it.

I responded asking why he purchased my item and that there's a market for unused toner so I hope he can recoup any losses. A quick google search with his devices' model numbers instantly gave me the correct toner # he should have bought and I provided that information to him.

Common sense tells me I am not going to have to be liable for his mistake, but then again I thought that last time when a guy bought my old iphone, bricked it, and claimed it was broken.... and even then I had video and photographic evidence and eBay hosed me.

This one seems more clear cut... am I assuming correctly that this won't fall back on me?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You don't take returns so eBay would not force you to accept the return if the buyer can still file an eBay case (the deadline is 30 days from delivery).  I don't know whether PayPal would require you to accept a return, though.  PayPal now reimburses buyers for return labels.  The buyer could pay to return it to you and then file a PayPal case, but that's probably not going to happen on a $45 item.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You don't take returns so eBay would not force you to accept the return if the buyer can still file an eBay case (the deadline is 30 days from delivery).  I don't know whether PayPal would require you to accept a return, though.  PayPal now reimburses buyers for return labels.  The buyer could pay to return it to you and then file a PayPal case, but that's probably not going to happen on a $45 item.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for easing my mind.

That last iPhone debacle has me on edge whenever I sell on eBay now.

Much appreciated!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

he responded by backtracking and saying his device IS one of those that I listed, and then also accused me of selling an used item. So looks like he wants to play it that way...

Anyways, following up. The item was delivered April 7th which makes it 32 days ago. I'm assuming your answer still applies in terms of eBay procedures?

Thanks again
Message 4 of 4
latest reply