cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought item as described and is saying they want refunded what do i do?

Buyer bought a bracelet that was described exactly word for word as "14kt gold overlay brass" and is being very rude in messaging me in saying its junk and basically chastising me as a scammer. 

If the listing clear as day says "14kt gold overlay brass" why is the buyer being so rude in that they are pressed over it being "14kt gold overlay brass" I mean thats what the listing says.

What do I do in efforts to make a refund, I cant think that they deserve a refund when the listing is described as it is, there is no debate about that. I think they thought it was 14kt gold (no overlay) and i understand people make mistakes and maybe buy something they didnt actually want in the end but after being so rude and repeatedly spamming "item is junk" instead of working with me, Im at a loss for words with this customer and what I should do.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Stop communicating with the buyer and accept the return, issue the return label, wait for the item to come back to you then you refund. In the return case you will see the refund button. When you refund your final value fees will be credited.

Don't forget to add that buyer to your blocked buyer list

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Did they open a formal return request? If so, accept the return and provide the return label. If they haven't opened an actual return request then quit communicating with them. If they have, again just accept the return and don't bother messaging back and forth with them.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@zacrho54 wrote:

If the listing clear as day says "14kt gold overlay brass" why is the buyer being so rude in that they are pressed over it being "14kt gold overlay brass" I mean thats what the listing says.

If this is for the Diamond Wavelink Bracelet, the second sentence of the AI description you used reads, "Crafted from 14k gold with a rose gold finish..." Way down at the bottom, as the very last line of the description, you added, "14kt Gold Overlay Brass." Unfortunately you did not correct or remove the wrong portion of the AI description, which the buyer apparently fell for, which is why they want to return it now.

Just send a polite reply along the lines of, "I'm sorry that you were not satisfied. You can return it for a full refund." Send a return label and refund when you get it back. You can request a return before refunding, so do that.

When you re-list, don't use a fake AI description but instead do a short and factual description of your own. Good luck.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

No they havent opened a request. They just keep playing this victim game with me "hows it 14kt gold" and i keep reiterating its 14kt gold overlay brass, exactly like it was listed and sold as.... they made an offer and I accepted it. How did they not read the description? Yet wanted it enough to offer me a lowball price, I used free shipping and paid for shipping so thats the main reason i dont want out on the situation.... 

If a buyer got the item, its not broken, and it is exactly as described, quality and all.... is it wrong for me to not accept return? Especially adding in their relentless attempts to take out their frustration on me.

They bought a 14kt gold overlay brass bracelet. They are upset its not pure gold all the way thru, its gold overlayed brass, and to be fair that kind of bracelet would cost 1000% more on average. Its as if they arent aware of gold jewelry with diamond prices

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Okay I didn't actually look at your listing until a_c_green mentioned it. They are correct in that it says it is "Crafted from 14k gold with a rose gold finish"  and at the bottom you mention it is "14kt Gold Overlay Brass".

These are contradictory statements in the listing. That is enough to make it not as described.

However, the BIGGER issue is in the Item Specifics you have "metal purity - 14k" which means it is is PURE 14k gold. You made a mistake, I believe it to be an honest mistake but it was a mistake and you need to apologize make it right with this buyer.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I crosslisted this item from another site and just left the original last 2 lines thats why they are separate from the AI description... if i wouldve just left those 2 original lines at the very bottom and not used the AI description, would the buyer have understood more firmly? and i wouldve avoided this scenario? Im just confused why having that AI description "14kt gold with rose gold finish" is problematic when it is 14kt gold overlay brass .... 

"14kt gold with rose gold finish" doesnt imply its pure gold does it? im confused, when i read it I thought that would imply to the buyer why its a rose gold color... i test it and its 14kt gold, but ive had 14kt gold overlay before this had such a distinct rose gold color i didnt want to, ironically, run into a scenario where the buyer question its color so i left that AI description in there to kind of cover the bases (rose gold finish), was supposed to imply its coloring, did it instead imply its 14kt gold with rose gold overlayed? 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

YES. This makes sense most. Looking back when i crosslisted this from mercari, I wasnt only adding this to my ebay page, it must have wound up auto-selecting 14kt purity and i overlooked it. Which it should say brass as its purity right? Ive listed on other sites, they dont make you fill all those little details out, ebay seems to be very, very specific on its categories and even more so on its listing specifications. Because I wouldnt have selected 14kt gold purity on purpose, i know what im selling as far as description goes, its 14kt gold overlay brass and thats that lol. I wont be using that AI description anymore, just take the 3 extra minutes to type something up! 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

How do i initiate the return process? I only see refund in the click down menu on order page details.... I want to open the return first, last thing i need is the buyer keeping the item and getting a refund lol....

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I apologized and told them they can happily open a return requests and I will refund them when I get my item back 😄 thanks for the tips and help im new to ebay and i know they take it very serious over here compared to other sites! I dont want any account locks or anything like that, so i am all for helping the customers stay satisfied!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@zacrho54 wrote:

How do i initiate the return process? I only see refund in the click down menu on order page details.... I want to open the return first, last thing i need is the buyer keeping the item and getting a refund lol....

@zacrho54 

You don't initiate the return. Suggest through messaging that your buyer open one. When they do, approve it. Easy peasy!

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Most of the time ur better off just not engaging. Or just accepting the return.

Probably 25% they forget about it anyway or don't want to mail it back, but they won't forget about it if you argue it.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@zacrho54 wrote:

I crosslisted this item from another site and just left the original last 2 lines thats why they are separate from the AI description... if i wouldve just left those 2 original lines at the very bottom and not used the AI description, would the buyer have understood more firmly? 

Maybe so, yes. At the very least, you would have avoided all that misleading AI blather and forced the buyer to look a bit more closely at the Item Specifics and the photo. (Speaking of which... one photo for a $128 bracelet is a bit sparse. For that much money, you could add more photos showing closeups, measurements against a ruler, etc. The combination of an AI description and a singular photo may have discouraged more prospective buyers.)

@zacrho54 wrote:

Im just confused why having that AI description "14kt gold with rose gold finish" is problematic when it is 14kt gold overlay brass .... 

It's because of the larger context in which that phrase appears: "Crafted from 14k gold with a rose gold finish..." In other words, the AI description is saying that 14k gold was the starting point from which the bracelet was made. The reality was that brass was the starting point, with a dusting of gold plate added at the end.

@zacrho54 wrote:

"14kt gold with rose gold finish" doesnt imply its pure gold does it?

That phrase alone does not, but when the full sentence starts with "Crafted from 14k gold with a rose gold finish..." then yes, it does.

@zacrho54 wrote:

did it instead imply its 14kt gold with rose gold overlayed? 

Something like that, yes. Just assure the buyer that they can open a return request, and you will refund in full when it comes back.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

" I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a refund."

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

You can refuse returns, but you cannot refuse refunds.

Get it back and resell it.

As a professional writer and editor for many years, I would suggest describing the piece as "Brass with 14kt gold plating" or " Brass with 14kt gold overlay".

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@zacrho54 

You're focusing on the description in which you have both 14K and 14K overlay brass. 

But the item specifics do say that it's 14K and your buyer is absolutely correct in their complaint. 

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 2.15.46 AM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 24
latest reply