cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer backing out of purchase question

Finally sold my first item on Ebay. I was selling a used headset. Buyer and I exchanged several messages about the item(information about compatibility what came with it) , and he made an offer on the item I was selling. I accepted the offer, he submitted payment, it went through to my PP, and I purchased the shipping label and let him know the tracking number and I would ship it in the morning. 

About 4 hours later he sends me a message asking me not to send the item and that he sent the offer on impulse and he didn't do any research on the item. Do I still send the item? What happens to the shipping label I paid for? I reached out to Ebay customer service but figured i'd ask here as well. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer backing out of purchase question

I would cancel using at buyers request. You dont want to send an item the buyer doesnt want, thats a whole 'nother can of worms.You can cancel the shipping label, tho it takes a couple weeks to get the refund.

Yes,this is a posting id,I have been selling on Ebay for fifteen years!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Cancel the order using the buyer requested option.  Your Ebay fees will be credited and your buyer will be refunded.  You are then free to relist.

Void your shipping label. https://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&CurrentPage=LabelManagement

It takes 10-14 days for that to be refunded - USPS has to be sure the label is not used before they refund.

If a buyer asks to cancel, it's best to just do so. Bad things can happen if you don't.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Should I leave this feedback on their name? I understand people have second thoughts but we talked for a good hour about this product. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If you mean leave him a negative feedback in a positive format, no you cant. The buyer can get it removed, and you will get sanctioned.

Yes,this is a posting id,I have been selling on Ebay for fifteen years!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@dsims86 wrote:

Should I leave this feedback on their name? I understand people have second thoughts but we talked for a good hour about this product. 

Since you can't leave a buyer negative feedback, don't leave any at all.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You do not have to accept his cancellation request.  Many sellers that were lenient when it came to accepting such requests no longer do so since PayPal started keeping their fee even though the sale was canceled.  Of course, it is up to you since you haven't already shipped.

Don't forget to put him on your BBL.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Appreciate all the help. Kind of sucks but is what it is.. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply