cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asking for overnight shipping on 3.99 item! lol!

Buyer (before purchase) I am needing this as quickly as possible. This shipping method is fine (1st class), but will you be able to mail it tomorrow morning if I purchase. I realize it is a holiday, but mail at some locations is picked up. Please check to see if Priority shows any quicker delivery.
We mail by First Class most of our things and it seems to go as quickly as Priority. Our zip is 47630 to check the cost for priority.
Thank you

Me - Seller : Hi, I would not be able to mail this until Tuesday. Our 2 local PO do not pick up tomorrow. I have added Priority Mail if you would want to pay extra for Priority. Thank you, Kathy

Buyer (before purchase): Thank you again for your response. I will definitely purchase these, but if I cannot receive them by Wednesday night, I will then have to ship them when I do receive them. If you can find a method to ship them that I will receive them by Wednesday night for a Charge of $25 or less for the shipping, I would gladly pay it in order to have these to take on the trip with us to deliver in person as a little I love you gift for a senior aunt that is having a very difficult time. She loves angels but she doesn't have space to
sit any, but she does have a refrigerator in her room, that we could put these on for her to enjoy and it would be a gift that shows her that we love her. Something for the wall has been ruled out, so these will be a perfect gift. Thanks again,

Buyer: Thank you so much for your response.
Could these go in a padded envelope or least expensive way to ship them by overnight.... and what would the overnight cost be for shipping with USPS
and FedEx and any source you can think of for overnight or one day delivery.
My Zip is 47630 and we need to have it by Wednesday night. Do you know of any store that may sell them in our local area....

Me (seller): Good morning. Unfortunately, overnight cost anywhere from 25 to 40 dollars! I don't offer overnight on my listings because I also pay ebay fees on the shipping paid by the buyer. I can not guarantee you would definitely get them by Wednesday with Priority Mail. I got these awhile back so I don't think they are available at any store. Kathy

Buyer: I have purchased paying the shipping amount shown (they picked 1st class instead of the Priority) ....Please ship overnight if possible and I will send you the balance for the amount charged for Overnight shipping to us if less than $25 for the shipping cost.
A padded Envelope would work best if it protects them enough. Overnight for envelopes is less than packages. We appreciate your help in this matter.

Me (seller): I am sorry but I cannot ship overnight. If this is a problem please cancel the order. Thank you, Kathy

Buyer: Ok, We'll ship when it arrives after our trip if she is still alive.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

With all the things that could go wrong with this situation, I would cancel the order on my (the seller's) end and refund them (if they already paid), and kindly tell them that not enough time was allowed for the sale to reach them as they originally desired. The USPS has been dropping the ball since last Christmas season with delayed deliveries, even if the item was sent Priority Mail or even Priority Express.

The other alternative is to ask the buyer if you could send the order directly to their aunt's address. However, you will lose Ebay seller protection by making that change and not sending the item to the buyer's address on file, and later there could be a dispute about a non-delivery or damage claim. Always be sure that the item is well-protected against shipping damage by not cutting corners, as the buyer seems to be stating it's ok for you to take the risk. You know how the personnel at the USPS (and FedEx and UPS, too) shipping centers don't give a rat's patootie about treating your shipments with care in handling.

The tipoff to this being a potential bad sale is that they buyer was trying to unreasonably nickel and dime you on the shipping. You never know how upset this buyer may be if you fulfill the order as the buyer left it in your hands at the end of your post above. This includes the possibility of a negative feedback for the buyer thinking YOU were unreasonable and putting their aunt in jeopardy of dying before she gets the gift. Don't think this isn't a possible outcome - I've had scenarios like this happen, and sometimes neutral or even negative feedback from the buyer is the ultimate retribution, no matter how unreasonable the buyer is.

You currently have 2229 positive feedbacks... If you get an Ebay demerit for cancelling the order, it most likely would not hurt your 12-month performance metrics in the long run, as long as you have not cancelled a lot of orders lately.

If you do decide to cancel the order due to potential problems later, be sure to be kind and understanding in the message to the buyer.

Your choice to either ship it and cross your fingers, or take a more cautious stance... the buyer could just as easily go to a local store or gift shop and pick up an item to take with them.

Cheers, Duffy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Some people are clueless as to how their wants pale in comparison to real world problems.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Wow.  You were much more patient than I.

Call me cynical, but she'll have some convoluted reason for a return.

Some buyers are just clueless.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Hmm such is normally a scammer wanting it over night.

Maybe the story is real maybe it is not.....

Well it is a cheap item... It takes all kinds to make it all work...

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

With all the things that could go wrong with this situation, I would cancel the order on my (the seller's) end and refund them (if they already paid), and kindly tell them that not enough time was allowed for the sale to reach them as they originally desired. The USPS has been dropping the ball since last Christmas season with delayed deliveries, even if the item was sent Priority Mail or even Priority Express.

The other alternative is to ask the buyer if you could send the order directly to their aunt's address. However, you will lose Ebay seller protection by making that change and not sending the item to the buyer's address on file, and later there could be a dispute about a non-delivery or damage claim. Always be sure that the item is well-protected against shipping damage by not cutting corners, as the buyer seems to be stating it's ok for you to take the risk. You know how the personnel at the USPS (and FedEx and UPS, too) shipping centers don't give a rat's patootie about treating your shipments with care in handling.

The tipoff to this being a potential bad sale is that they buyer was trying to unreasonably nickel and dime you on the shipping. You never know how upset this buyer may be if you fulfill the order as the buyer left it in your hands at the end of your post above. This includes the possibility of a negative feedback for the buyer thinking YOU were unreasonable and putting their aunt in jeopardy of dying before she gets the gift. Don't think this isn't a possible outcome - I've had scenarios like this happen, and sometimes neutral or even negative feedback from the buyer is the ultimate retribution, no matter how unreasonable the buyer is.

You currently have 2229 positive feedbacks... If you get an Ebay demerit for cancelling the order, it most likely would not hurt your 12-month performance metrics in the long run, as long as you have not cancelled a lot of orders lately.

If you do decide to cancel the order due to potential problems later, be sure to be kind and understanding in the message to the buyer.

Your choice to either ship it and cross your fingers, or take a more cautious stance... the buyer could just as easily go to a local store or gift shop and pick up an item to take with them.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

I'm going to ship it tomorrow First Class, what she paid for it.  I agree they could have found something locally for the amount of money they wanted to pay for shipping!  I'm thinking maybe they were bored today and decided to harass someone. I have reported the buyer and blocked them. No biggie really, just thought her last message was amusing!

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@kdwhalen2013 wrote:

I'm going to ship it tomorrow First Class, what she paid for it.  I agree they could have found something locally for the amount of money they wanted to pay for shipping!  I'm thinking maybe they were bored today and decided to harass someone. I have reported the buyer and blocked them. No biggie really, just thought her last message was amusing!

I am wondering why they left of the add gift card angle to this...

Good luck with this. What a pain.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I had this happen 1 month ago.  A gentleman that forgot some's birthday, and needed a watch asap.  I offer free shipping (1st class), but since he needed it asap, he paid for overnight delivery.  I did go out of the way to help and got it done.  I do get out of my way to help other people, if they are polite.  The watch that he bought was $25, $25 for shipping, total was $50.  

Not every one is a scammer.  And believe me that I have dealt with several ($30-$550 - The goods that I sold).  

If you are selling some thing for $3.99 or less, which I don't.  You are only asking for trouble.  Don't get upset if this happens again.  Sorry, just saying.  

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

I understand.  I'm not really upset just amazed that someone would insist that you do what they want and then try to make you feel bad! lol!  I sell mostly inexpensive things and 99% of the time  don't have problems with the buyers.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I do not see any of the items that you recently sold as being a life-saving or life-prolonging device, so that last remark is a ???? 

They make it sound like they want to rush whatever they purchased from you to someone who is dying and will be saved if you will just ship overnight.  

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

But did your buyer in that case imply that the recipient was dying?  

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

"Please ship overnight if possible and I will send you the balance for the amount charged for Overnight shipping to us if less than $25 for the shipping cost."

“I’d Gladly Pay You Tuesday For A Hamburger Today”— Wimpy

-------
Not my selling nor buying account
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@kdwhalen2013 wrote:

I would've blocked them long before they had a chance to buy and pay.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Yeah, I am with tools, sounds like they have no idea.

They want something yesterday but their lack of planning is not my emergency I am afraid.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

No.  But if I am not willing to go the extra effort, it might be time for me to move on to do some thing else.  Just saying.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply