cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer antics

I am fairly new so not sure what's going on with this but I have an auction going with the starting bid at $75.00. The same person has bid $75 twice in the past three days. He keeps texting me telling me he will buy it for $100, then $125, etc. but doesn't put in a bid for those amounts. He just keeps bidding $75. I don't have the option set for offers either, but he's texted me constantly since midnight last night.

I'm concerned also because the auction ends tonight and he will win the bid for $75 since no one else is bidding - that's fine except that my last buyer bid and didn't pay. This seller is acting strange so I'm getting concerned he won't pay either.  I hope I'm wrong. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer antics

Your buyer is not bidding $75 over and over again, they really want the item and keep increasing their proxy bid. You will not see the amount unless someone else tries to outbid them.

Non-payment is always a potential issue with Auctions, if you use that format there is really nothing you can do so try to stop worrying about something that hasn't yet happened and you have zero control over.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyer antics

Your buyer is not bidding $75 over and over again, they really want the item and keep increasing their proxy bid. You will not see the amount unless someone else tries to outbid them.

Non-payment is always a potential issue with Auctions, if you use that format there is really nothing you can do so try to stop worrying about something that hasn't yet happened and you have zero control over.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

@beautiful_unique_stuff wrote: .... The same person has bid $75 twice in the past three days. He keeps texting me telling me he will buy it for $100, then $125, etc. but doesn't put in a bid for those amounts. He just keeps bidding $75. ...

He might have put in bids for $100 or $125, but he doesn't understand how bidding works.

A member can't bid against themselves. So no matter how many times they bid and how high those bids are, it will always show as $75 until  another bidder comes along.

He sounds very eager to purchase your item.  If he wins it for $75 (or even more) he will probably be delighted and pay promptly.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

Okay, I didn't realize I would not see that amount until someone outbid him. I just couldn't figure out why he was offering more via text but his bids stayed lower. He's won the bid anyway so I'm happy he is getting it. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

When you Sell on eBay..there is No need for any Buyer Texting with Offers...eBay Messages

are the only way Buyers should communicate with you. I hope this Bidder

Buys your item and Pays for it. His High Offers concern me. Good Luck.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

Since you are a new seller, you are a scammers magnet.  And most likely the person sending you messages, its not interested on buying what you are selling.  They want to get it for free.  If I was you, I will just list items as "Buy It Now", auctions are a pain. 

Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

That's because this is a scam attempt.  New sellers are scam magnets.  Block this person from further bidding on your items:

https://www.ebay.com/help/blocking-buyers/selling/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082&st=12&pos=2&query=Bloc...

If you want this behavior to stop, list all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off.  NO best offers either.  It's the only way you're going to get serious buyers until you accumulate some sales and feedback.  My guess is you signed on to Ebay to make money, not to chase it.  Take the advice from the very knowledgeable veteran sellers here.   Ditch the auctions....buy it now.

Happy Selling and Holidays. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Buyer antics

Sounds like he really wants it and is afraid of being outbid by snipers.  Are there a lot of views and watchers?

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 9 of 9
latest reply