cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abuse of eBay return policy (with Proof)

cybergoodscentral
Adventurer

I've suspected this happening before but could not proove it, and while eBay says they protect sellers as well as buyers, they did nothing to assist me last time this happened. This time I can proove the buyer is dishonest and abusing the system. What can I expect from eBay when I call them tomorrow? Has anyone else experienced this?

Story is as follows:

-Buyer purchases item from me. I print a shipping label through the eBay system 1 hour later, USPS Priority 2 day. Scheduled pickup for the next day.

-Buyer leaves positive feedback the following day, with a message saying that I did not include a tracking number. This is false, I printed the shipping label 1 hour after the buyer made the purchase and scheduled to have it picked up the following day. This tracking number would have updated in the buyers My eBay, as it had mine. Red flag number 1.

-I then check the buyers feedback left for other sellers. They are full of notes from other sellers questioning the feedback left. Example, one negative fedback rating, but the message says the the seller is highly recommended, with a followup message from the seller asking why the feedback is negative if he is highly recommended... red flag number 2.

-Exactly 9 calendar days later, buy opens an "Item not as described case". I honor my return policies, which was a 14 day policy. But first checked the tracking information to see when my item was delivered. According to USPS the item was NOT delivered, indicating a problem with delivery, lost package, etc. The tracking info showed the Priority 2-Day package sat ay my local USPS hub for 6 days, then arrived in the sellers city 4 days later, and then The message was "Delivery status not updated". I leave a note in the return details asking if the buyer ment to open an item not received case instead of not as described. Buyer answers by demanding me to send a return label to send the faulty item back. We all know how reliable to USPS "delivery confirmation" system is, so I figured the mail piece was not scanned when delivered or something, and approved the return.

-To be on the safe side, and because I suspected foul play based on all the above, I paid USPS to intercept my original package that I sent, just in case.

-3 days later, I now have two packages, the original package that I sent to the buyer, and the fradulent package that the buyer sent to me with an identical item inside of it with the label that I paid to have him send it to me through the NAD case that he opened. I have proof of the intercept, and the original tracking number still says "Delivery status not updated".

-My original package has a damaged label, the delivery address was ripped off. The return address area, and barcode portion were all gone. The USPS lady explained that is why the package couldn't be delivered, which of course makes sense. Luckily the portion of the label with the return address was still stuck there, so they were able to bring my package back.

I understand that since the buyer did not receive the item, he is due a refund. But this is abuse of an item not as described case, since the buyer never received the item. I test everything before I sell it, so I knew it was a working item. NAD effects my seller rating differently, than a problem due to USPS ripping my label off. It makes it seem that I am selling shady items if I get hit with enough of these. I use a Zebra labeler  with good sticky labels, like Amazon packages come with, so I don't understand how the label was partially ripped off, but at this point this doesn't matter.

What, if anything, does eBay do to the buyers like this that are the scum of the eBay community? I have buyer requirements setup for all my items to avoid buyers like this, but he was still able to make a puchase from me:

• Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item strike(s) within 12 month(s)
  • Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
  • Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1
  • Have bid on or bought my items in the last 10 days and have met my limit of 1 and who have a feedback score of 0 or lower

Are there any other ways that I can protect myself in the future since eBay isn't going to do it for me, or give me the tools to properly do it myself? I am thinking of getting some "warranty void if removed" stickers that are serialized and tamper evident, taking a picture of it in the listings, and only accepting the return if it's stil in tact once received like the major manufacturers do. If anything, maybe it will divert these type of buyers from my listings, which are mostly categorized as computer electronics, and parts for home and business equipment.

Thanks for your time

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Buyer abuse of eBay return policy (with Proof)

It's not a scam, it's not a fraud.  The buyer obviously bought two identical objects from two different sellers and got his sellers mixed up.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

There is at least a chance that a long thread will eventually right itself and turn into something...anything...else!

Alas...No.

THIS thread is like the Double Rainbow Guy 

What does it all mean

Whoa oh my g_d oh my g_d

and

Will this thread never end?!  lol.gif

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

There is at least a chance that a long thread will eventually right itself and turn into something...anything...else!

Alas...No.

THIS thread is like the Double Rainbow Guy 

What does it all mean

Whoa oh my g_d oh my g_d

and

Will this thread never end?!  lol.gif

It'll end when mods lock dead threads.....

so.....it will never end....kinda like the song Smiley Frustrated

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@expaik wrote:

@thevintagesilvershop wrote:

Good for you for outfoxxing a bad guy so that he didn't get a refund AND the original goods.

I don't think the OP outfoxed anyone.  In fact, he wasted money on that intercept.  The package was already on its way back to him by that point since it was undeliverable..

The money was wasted on the return INAD shipping as well.

@cybergoodscentral wrote:
I have since stopped communicating with him, but I did suggest that this is what could have happened, he claims that he bought a new part from someone else. I suspect he thought a NAD case is the only way to get his money back without having to pay for a return label... the whole thought process of this buyer does not make sense.

To a lot of people the entire ebay process doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, not unless you're here every day does this stuff even begin to make sense, many a buyer is confused by what to do and all they can think about is the seller has their money and they don't have their merchandise.

The bit with the tracking number and the positive feedback is rather odd...

I wouldn't necessarily say the buyer was trying to scam, but there's certainly something went way out left field.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

Now it's time to use Amazon with 2 days shipping. eBay doesn't even protect us. Two thumps up for Amazon.
Message 50 of 56
latest reply

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

Two thumps up for Amazon.

How Freudian is that?!

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

-I then check the buyers feedback left for other sellers. They are full of notes from other sellers questioning the feedback left. Example, one negative fedback rating, but the message says the the seller is highly recommended, with a followup message from the seller asking why the feedback is negative if he is highly recommended...

I have seen that "buyer" 

I just started "selling" on here, I'm going to quit buying and selling on here after all my final sales/purchases are settled.

Just finding how how "low" some people that shop on here is.

They bougt an item and changed their mind, and because seller don't accept "returns"  unless "broken or defective", they intentionally BREAK the item so that Ebay staff will side with them on the resolution

Fortunately, I "insure all products" I mail out.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Buyer Protection Abuse is a serious problem that needs addressing.
Tracking is archived with USPS. The postal service is willing to do the research and send the e-mail of confirmation to the seller, eBay etc,. This needs to be stopped. Abuse of Buyer Protection. Too many people are getting away with defrauding sellers and eBay. if it works one time for them. What is going to stop them from repeating the same bad behavior. We as sellers must be proactive in protecting ourselves from this. The time frame for reporting it to eBay should be longer than this short time frame.
Message 54 of 56
latest reply

I was told by ebay that the case was closed, and Iwould not receive a refund, or a replacement.  It says the item was delivered at my doorstep.  I DID NOT RECEIVE THE ITEM.  You are calling me a liar.  The item only costs $8.00, however, it is the principle that counts.  Therefore, ebay I am not satisfied with your answer. I am a good customer of e bay however, as of today I will never purchase another item frrom you.  I will also, inform my friends not to buy from e bay, as I will iinform them of what happeded.  A VERY INSATISFIED CUSTOMER.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 56 of 56
latest reply