cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Trying To Scam Me Out Of A Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Claims I Sent Wrong Item!

Hello everyone. I have recently sold a Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime figure on Ebay for $239.99 to some buyer who clearly is trying to scam me and play games. I had a bad feeling that something was up after he kept messaging me asking me if I was trying to take his money despite the fact I had already provided a tracking number and sadly, this was the case. Now he is trying to claim that I actually sent him a Fortress Maximus figure instead, (the guy sends me a pic of the box, but ofcourse, not the contents) and has opened case against me and wants me to return the item. In addition to the fact that I am going to lose out on the priority shipping that I had paid to send this, there is nothing stoping this creep from switching out what I had really sent him and replacing it with something else! I'm at a loss towards what I can do, and this buyer is harrassing me and constantly sending me messages! I would appreciate any help! 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: Buyer Trying To Scam Me Out Of A Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Claims I Sent Wrong Item!

Cute story but buyer wasn't stupid.  He just didn't believe the seller.

Message 136 of 154
latest reply

Re: Buyer Trying To Scam Me Out Of A Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Claims I Sent Wrong Item!

@getitright1234 wrote:

The fence is torn down for me :

I am too afraid to open the box; I do not wish to void my MBG, .................WORDS NEVER WRITTEN BY THIS BUYER (despite) the buyer having the Seller's pleas in writing to open the box.....................of which he could have easily used those pleas as leverage to protect his MBG.  

Only (2) conclusions:  

We either have someone who is very dense or sly like a fox /attempted to scam the Seller.   

BUT the buyer told the seller, are you trying to be funny? when the seller said open the box.  That implies the buyer knew better than to open something that was not what he ordered.

Message 137 of 154
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

But a true SNAD would be the shipping label on the original box.

And anyone who knows enough about transformers they are willing to pay $300 for one would be tickled pink to have received one worth $750. They would not be ignorant of this value. 

Exactly.  So why would they open a return.  If they were a scammer, they would just have kept the item.

Message 138 of 154
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

The fence is torn down for me :

I am too afraid to open the box; I do not wish to void my MBG, .................WORDS NEVER WRITTEN BY THIS BUYER (despite) the buyer having the Seller's pleas in writing to open the box.....................of which he could have easily used those pleas as leverage to protect his MBG.  

Only (2) conclusions:  

We either have someone who is very dense or sly like a fox /attempted to scam the Seller.   

BUT the buyer told the seller, are you trying to be funny? when the seller said open the box.  That implies the buyer knew better than to open something that was not what he ordered.

So,  what stopped the "trying to be Funny"  .......Oh,  I know:   when the seller told the buyer:   Return for a Refund, ...................................the funny,  just went away. Smiley Surprised

Message 139 of 154
latest reply

😉

Message 140 of 154
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

And anyone who knows enough about transformers they are willing to pay $300 for one would be tickled pink to have received one worth $750. They would not be ignorant of this value. 

But the box would have been ruined anyway - who cares if it ws opened at that point? If they actually shipped the actual item that way in it's original box, it would have had the shipping label on it!

Like I said - I would have never shipped in that box anyway - I would have sold that box in a separate auction.

It is possible the seller finally wore the buyer down.  He wanted his item so he finally believed the seller.

We can agree to disagree.  That's the nature of these Boards, some agree with me, some agree with you.  

Message 142 of 154
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

But the box would have been ruined anyway - who cares if it ws opened at that point? If they actually shipped the actual item that way in it's original box, it would have had the shipping label on it!

Like I said - I would have never shipped in that box anyway - I would have sold that box in a separate auction.

Yes, the box would have been ruined anyway but it seems that that would have been on the seller, and not on the buyer.  Buyer thought it was a wrong item, anyway, which explains his reluctance to open it.  

Message 143 of 154
latest reply

My observations and opinion:

1.  "This seller clearly had this scam planned from the start. I sent him the Msterpiece Optimus Prime figure in a Fortress Maximus box because it was the only box big enough to fit it, and this guy is now trying to pretend I sent him a Fortess Maximus figure instead of the Prime figure..."

What scam? Were you scammed?

The buyer would have had to known in advance that you were going to ship a Msterpiece Optimus Prime box within a Fortress Maximus box for your ridiculous scam theory to be correct.
Not to mention that it was not the "only" box big enough, it was the only box that you chose to use. That was the mistake that started this misunderstanding.

2.  "What burns me even more is that I had paid priority shipping to have it sent to him as soon as possible, and I still end up dealing with this."

Your listing says "Economy Shipping (USPS Parcel Select Ground®)" . If you sent priority, it was your choice..

3. "...But just to give you an update, the buyer did, after yet another message from me explaining what had happened replied with this: "Next time....let buyer know when you ship out items in different boxes......i was not gonna open it and risk the chance of my refund."

Very plausible. In fact, this was a revelation and admission from the buyer that they now, albeit slowly, understood that you shipped their item in another item box.
I can certainly understand the confusion that was created when shipping this way. 

In the end, there was no scam..
It was just a buyer that wrongly assumed that you sent the wrong item because a seller sent their item boxed inside a different box.

The buyer finally "got it." I hope you now also "get it." Don't send like items in other like item boxes. It is clear to me how this can create confusion.

Message 144 of 154
latest reply

It is possible the seller finally wore the buyer down.  He wanted his item so he finally believed the seller.

We can agree to disagree.  That's the nature of these Boards, some agree with me, some agree with you.  

Many think every buyer is a scammer, and there is never a legitimate SNAD.

Message 145 of 154
latest reply

@feefoo72 wrote:

My observations and opinion:

1.  "This seller clearly had this scam planned from the start. I sent him the Msterpiece Optimus Prime figure in a Fortress Maximus box because it was the only box big enough to fit it, and this guy is now trying to pretend I sent him a Fortess Maximus figure instead of the Prime figure..."

What scam? Were you scammed?

The buyer would have had to known in advance that you were going to ship a Msterpiece Optimus Prime box within a Fortress Maximus box for your ridiculous scam theory to be correct.
Not to mention that it was not the "only" box big enough, it was the only box that you chose to use. That was the mistake that started this misunderstanding.

2.  "What burns me even more is that I had paid priority shipping to have it sent to him as soon as possible, and I still end up dealing with this."

Your listing says "Economy Shipping (USPS Parcel Select Ground®)" . If you sent priority, it was your choice..

3. "...But just to give you an update, the buyer did, after yet another message from me explaining what had happened replied with this: "Next time....let buyer know when you ship out items in different boxes......i was not gonna open it and risk the chance of my refund."

Very plausible. In fact, this was a revelation and admission from the buyer that they now, albeit slowly, understood that you shipped their item in another item box.
I can certainly understand the confusion that was created when shipping this way. 

In the end, there was no scam..
It was just a buyer that wrongly assumed that you sent the wrong item because a seller sent their item boxed inside a different box.

The buyer finally "got it." I hope you now also "get it." Don't send like items in other like item boxes. It is clear to me how this can create confusion.

I absolutely agree.  Not all buyers are scammers.  Not all SNADs are false.

Message 146 of 154
latest reply

"Next time....let buyer know when you ship out items in different boxes......i was not gonna open it and risk the chance of my refund."

Message 147 of 154
latest reply

It's not "ridiculous". I have been scammed before by a buyer with one of these Masterpiece figures, so I had a legitimate reason to be suspicious and angry. You seem to be underestimating how resourceful some people can be on this website, especially when its common knowledge that eBay pretty much always sides with the buyer. I have sent items before in different boxes and never had any problems. I have told this buyer,(several times) that its inside and to simply open it up. He ignored me despite making several attempts to explain this. This isn't rocket science. The fact that this buyer was also communicating with me in baby talk only amplified this.
Message 148 of 154
latest reply

It's also possible that you don't know what you are talking about. (Which in this case you don't). The buyer was not operating with a full deck. You want another example? He has a feedback score of 153, yet when I first shipped out this item, he immediately accused me of trying to scam him by sending me this message: "Yo man.....ive been trying to get a hold of tracking number....whats going on? Are u stealing my money?" Followed by: "Hey man.....whats going on? Are u stealing my $$$$$?" Now, if someone has a feedback score of 153, you would think that they would know that a tracking number sometimes won't fully upload until it reaches the carrier, but the proof that it was sent appears the second you upload a tracking number regardless. This, along with the fact that he was communicating with me like an eight year old, made me suspicious, which only got worse when he ignored my messages telling him to that his item was inside the box.
Message 149 of 154
latest reply

@ramsey_james wrote:
It's not "ridiculous". I have been scammed before by a buyer with one of these Masterpiece figures, so I had a legitimate reason to be suspicious and angry. You seem to be underestimating how resourceful some people can be on this website, especially when its common knowledge that eBay pretty much always sides with the buyer. I have sent items before in different boxes and never had any problems. I have told this buyer,(several times) that its inside and to simply open it up. He ignored me despite making several attempts to explain this. This isn't rocket science. The fact that this buyer was also communicating with me in baby talk only amplified this.

Knowing this is your opinion and experience, it begs the question why you would continue to sell here? Smiley Frustrated

Anyway, since this issue seems to be long settled and the thread is just being drawn out with needless arguments, @ramsey_james if you wish, you can request the thread be locked. Just click the 3 little dots from your main post, click "Report inappropriate Content" and say "I am the OP and would like the thread to be locked now."

Message 150 of 154
latest reply