cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Returning Item Shipping Question

A buyer purchased an item of mine with expenisive 1 day express shipping. Long story short the buyer wants to return the item (in which I pay for return shipping). When she returns it will it automatically default to the expensive 1 day shipping or is there a way I can have it normal non expidited shipping? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Whatever amount she paid through eBay is the amount she will be refunded. The only way she won't be refunded the amount for express shipping is if she paid for regular shipping and then you sent a PayPal invoice for the upgrade.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I hate to tell you, but your problem isn't going to be paying for the 1 day shipping, it is going to be what you do when you get back a box of rocks, or their broke item, or a picture of what you sent them.

Most of the time, 1 day shipping means that the buyer needs it within a specific time - and once that time has passed, they will return it.  It is a common scam.  I'm going to bet that it is either the eclipse glasses OR the Canon.

I hate to tell you this, but there is not much you can do about that scam anymore, ebay's policies (posted and hidden) have made it so that any buyer can pretty much do anyhting and get away with it now.

If you have a return policy you have to take the return - you can send them a ship label independant of ebay that has the shipping method you desire.  And once you authorize the return, you MUST refund when you get something back from the buyer.  If you have a no return policy, you might be able to fight the return, but if you do it wrong, ebay will refund and let them keep the item.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I don't think you are required to have the same method of shipping for the return as she chose originally, since that is more expensive.  

From the Help Pages:  

If you choose to use an eBay label, we provide the buyer with a return shipping label. We also give the buyer a packing slip to print and enclose in the return package. We generate a unique return ID that appears on both the shipping label and the packing slip, along with the buyer's ID.

The return shipping label will use US Postal Service (USPS), First-Class or Priority Mail, whichever is the most appropriate based on cost, package weight, and delivery time. Delivery Confirmation is automatically included so you can track the status of the return shipment. Signature Confirmation is also included if the item is valued at or more than $750.

If you choose to provide your own return shipping label, you can upload an image of the label (PNG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, or PDF) with the carrier information and tracking number. When accepting a return, select the "Upload a shipping label" option. Upload the image of the label and select the shipping carrier. If for some reason the tracking number doesn't appear, please provide the tracking number. If you choose to use an untracked return label, your buyer will not be required to provide proof of delivery of the return if eBay is asked to step in and help, and you will be responsible for the reimbursement amount. Learn more about the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

For refunds: We ask the buyer to ship the item to you within 5 business days of starting the return.

Going by the bolded area, I would say that precludes the expensive Express option the buyers chose, and you can provide your own label, which suggests you can choose your own shipping method.  I understand why you would not want to pay express shipping to get it back.  

Just my opinion; your interpretation is what counts!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hmm, that's new isn't it? The return label having Sig con if it's over $750?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 5
latest reply