cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the 30-day listing option

I have been selling on eBay since the beginning and love the 30-day option. When I went to relist some unsold items today,  I was dismayed to see that option is not available for fixed-price listings. I used GTC in the past but for the last several years found the 30-day option worked best for my store. I guess I'll list some of the items on a different platform and see if I can get a good price for them. Although eBay has been a very good vehicle for selling my crafts and random items for many years, I don't think this change will help me at all. Very disappointed.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Bring back the 30-day listing option

I agree! Been selling on eBay since 2002. The 30 day listing gives me control of listed items - I SOLD LOTS MORE THIS WAY.  Good until sold - If you take the 100 or 200 free listings, it will cost you when the auto renew is over your 50 free listings. Yes that's a eBay ripoff beware!  eBay was a great place to sell. I hope they BRING BACK 30 DAY LISTINGS!!!  Looking for other platforms to sell.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

100% correct. Been eBay seller since 2002. Looking for new platform.
Message 32 of 41
latest reply

It's a total scam. GTC (Good 'till Cancel) intimates that the listing does not expire. Meaning that it will stay active (i.e. "Good") until the item sells or the listing is canceled by the seller. But NO... the listing does expire and ebay will automatically relist it for you when you are not looking and are unaware that you have no more free listing credits. It's a total con-game and borderline fraud. I wouldn't be surprised that within a few months a group of smart lawyers jump on this and initiate a class action lawsuit. Not very ethical on ebay's part... 

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

@genexcollectibles 

I'm not sure that just using No automation rules will affect whether or not GTC renew automatically.

You might want to rethink that.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I have been selling on Ebay for just about 20 years.   Over the years, Ebay has put more and more distance between buyers and sellers.   Some of Ebay's format changes have made listing more difficult and definitely not easier.   But the destruction of the 30 day listing option was absolutely THE WORST!!!  It put my store out of business.   The GTC option does NOT help sellers as Ebay is fond of saying.....IT HURTS SELLERS!!!   Part of the problem is that Ebay has hired too many "experts" and in order to justify their jobs they have to change both buying and selling formats fairly often and make policy changes periodically.   Most of these changes have negatively impacted sellers.   This latest awful policy change is the dissolution of the 30 day auction.   I refuse to use Buy It Now and get stuck with the insertion fees that Ebay would love to collect from me.   I'm starting to feel more like a victim than a seller.   Many of us selling in the collectibles market feel this way.   Ebay began by celebrating the small seller....particularly sellers of unique items in the collectibles market.  Now it seems that Ebay is trying to get rid of us....and it may well succeed!!!!!

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Absolutely agree with this post, it needs to go viral NOW! It has been a nightmare since the 30-day option has been eliminated. It's gotten to the point where seeing the words "Ebay Updates" feels like the next doomsday announcement for sellers. Please bring back 30 day listings! I'll have to shrink my business to back when I started on eBay in order to protect myself from being charged awful fees when GTC ends! I've been burned multiple times and can't afford it anymore. When we make money, so does Ebay. I thought that was the point. It feels like finding out an old friend is really a vicious predator in disguise. So sad!

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

After 7 months since posting a complaint about GTC it looks like it didn't effect the OP at all. Still averaging around 10 items sold a month. All you have to do in manually close anything you don't want relisted.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Very interesting insight. I think you are dead on about the big shift after going public. Before it was a "horse traders" haven. But now Amazon and eBay are trying to be like each other. 

I took a break after the returns started being automated because I paid some return shipping when I think it was buyers remorse. Today I decided to re-list some things and not use auto returns. So I'm working on some listings and find issues with the shipping policies, payment policies, and returns - had to figure out you use all or none - 2 hours - then why won't the 30 day listing stick?  Err. More Googling to figure out the problem. Thank you for posting.

I am not a store nor a full time seller. I just like hunting and collecting junk and sharing the spoils on eBay. I put in the time my first two years reading all the message boards and the seller handbook to figure out some strategies that worked for me and my schedule. For me, I liked to list stuff as an auction first. Then, if it did not sell I'd make it a fixed price and I'd rotate items. 30 day duration was perfect. I could re-list or not. Maybe I had new items to list, or maybe I had an offer for some free listings and I put up stuff that didn't sell before. 

I really don't want to open a store, and why would I when the policies change so often.

So at the end of each month, I guess I have to manually end the items that did not sell if I want to list different things in the next month. Or just stick with auctions. I'm sure a new policy will come out to screw that up too. I'm going to stick around a little longer, but I think I'm on the downhill side of my eBay phase. I don't expect anyone at eBay to care about the small non store owners like me, but I think that's where some of the variety of items came from. If I was a store owner, I'd only be putting up stuff that was in demand, not what someone might be randomly looking for. That was the fun part for me.

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

My sales have declined since March 2019 for the first time since the recession.  I can't blame it on GTC, because I allowed only a handful of items automatically relist each month.  After only 2 of them sold in six months  I started ending all the listings on the last day.  

Now comes my holiday problem - I am shutting down completely from Dec 10-24 so to get the full exposure of my 50 free listings for November, I will have to list all of the items by Nov. 10th.  If I should get any free listing promos during the month, I will have to end everything on Dec. 10.   I'll really miss those 15 day listings.  

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Now well into 2020  and the saga of decline continues.    I keep about 2500 items in Turbo Lister. 

I ran a different 1000 listings each month to avoid the " its the same stuff I saw last month " scenario.  

Now with the end date for Turbo Lister Looming too and Seller hub remaining SO worthless for my operation,  I plan to Close my 10 year store and move to the Few Free Listings each month program.    I will try other venues and see if I can finds something that works again.

Sad  - really Sad !

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 41 of 41
latest reply