cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biggest Single Sale in Dollars

What has been your biggest sale in terms of dollars?

This is pointed question with a realistic suggested answer. Yes, sometimes strange thoughts pass through my mind.

Question:  What has been your biggest sale in dollars?

Answer:  None of your business.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Biggest Single Sale in Dollars

I guess one of my best was a water oven.  I picked it up at Goodwill for under 10 bucks.  I think they thought it was a bread maker.  I didn't know what it was either but it was new and a good deal.  It sold for somewhere between $500-$600. 

Message 61 of 69
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

$1,300 for some soup bowls.  

Maybe they were Andy Warhol's soup bowls, LOL!Smiley Very Happy

hahaha Nope 

They were Mottahedeh.  The retail value was (is) $3,300, but a couple of mine had a tiny nip or two so I priced low deliberately.

Message 62 of 69
latest reply

@lintbrush*wrote:

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

$1,300 for some soup bowls.  

Maybe they were Andy Warhol's soup bowls, LOL!Smiley Very Happy

hahaha Nope 

They were Mottahedeh.  The retail value was (is) $3,300, but a couple of mine had a tiny nip or two so I priced low deliberately.

Outstanding! Fascinating!  Very happy for you and all the others who scored big!  

Message 63 of 69
latest reply

@kattinsanitywrote:

I guess one of my best was a water oven.  I picked it up at Goodwill for under 10 bucks.  I think they thought it was a bread maker.  I didn't know what it was either but it was new and a good deal.  It sold for somewhere between $500-$600. 

Right there with you!  I wouldn't know one if it walked up to me and slapped me!

So I looked it up:

The award-winning SousVide Supreme is the world's first water oven designed to make the gourmet sous vide cooking technique easy and affordable. Sous vide cooking locks in the juices and flavor and preserves the nutritional quality of the food.

Guess we both learned something there!  Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

Agree!!

Whenever we hear a group of sellers talk about their big scores, we know we talk about it because....it doesn't happen very often.

I found a salesman sample victorian dresser someone threw out in the alley.

I almost  couldn't believe it. Sold it for about $150 on eBay. (Maybe more) 

But, it's been four years ago at least.

Still talking about it!!

Message 65 of 69
latest reply

I do occasionally sell items over $100, but it makes me nervous. dtexley - unquote ------------------

Having a 100 dollars doesn't make me nervous ,, its never in my wallet long enough  🙂   Tulips

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

@lasantinowrote:

@bubbleman2010 omg,, tell me more....!!!  was it an auction you were attending in person,, is that what you meant by choice??.. did you know immediatly when you saw them , they were super valuable.... 

ie.. can we hear the rest of the story.

Choice... they sold 12 plates, bid was for one plate, you can take one or more at your winning price.  Any he doesn't take will be offered to non-winning bidders at that price, if they don't want them they'll auction the remaining plates again.  He took them all at $50 per plate.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 67 of 69
latest reply

On eBay, I've had two 99¢ start auctions end at a little better than $1,000 each.

One was a Gorham mixed metals spoon, bought as scrap metal at around $25.  It was worn to the point the hallmarks were gone or illegible.  That was years ago, there was another one listed here at almost $4,000 fixed price, and it's still not sold today... been relisted for years.

Other was a China coin set I purchased for $3.50. 

I only sold them here because a) I had so little into them, and b) I did not think I'd get even a fraction of that money selling them anywhere else. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 68 of 69
latest reply

In the early 2000s I sold an old art nouveau waterman fountain pen with silver overlay for $2000 - my family was cleaning out my grandparent's house after they passed, and large amounts of "junk" went into the garbage.  I literally pulled this out of the curbside garbage can (it was sitting on top) because I thought it looked interesting, and didn't think much of it for a while.  When I finally got around to researching it I was shocked at the value.  I hate to think of what else was in that garbage can!  I used the money towards the downpayment on my first home.

In those early ebay years my mother-in-law found an old steamer trunk someone threw out - it turned out to be a Louis Vuitton and she sold that for about 2k on ebay as well.

Message 69 of 69
latest reply