cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big decline in sales

Hello, over the past 2 weeks I  have been experiencing very low sales, not sure if it is something with my listings or what.  Anyone else notice a big decline in sales? Any info would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Big decline in sales

The situation is "multi-faceted"… Now sellers are "waiting" a couple or more days to receive payment for sold items, and of course the reason is that eBay is depositing the money into "short term" savings accounts and making money on the interest.  I understood in the beginning of the "COVID crisis", that customer service was literally suspended, but still receiving assistance for an issue as a buyer or a seller, is now very difficult. I feel we have been abandoned. Also, since "COVID", we who sell, are experiencing a "new buyer".. People not accustomed to purchasing on eBay are now "new customers" and some are not very "savory".. The "dishonesty factor" has risen considerably.  Example: I sold a sewing machine to a woman and added "extra goodies" as a "token of appreciation".. She received two electrical cords and two foot controls ( One original to the machine and one "new generic".. She messaged me that "I did not include a cord and why did I give her a generic foot control instead of a brand control"… I stated the control was "a token of appreciation" and I did include two cords.. She admitted she had two other of the same machines and "lost the accessories".. I googled her and telephoned her, told her I would snd another cord and to cover myself, photographed the cord attached to a machine and the package, and the tracking number.. Another issue is that these "new buyers" are not leaving feedback and "don't understand the importance"… Many issues !! Lastly, it is much harder to find decent vintage articles to sell or purchase. Many things that were available 10 years ago, are impossible to find now. It seems they were "all purchased"...

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

I started selling designer goods on eBay in 2000, I made made money and it was easy. When Etsy, Poshmark and Mercari arrived sales slowed down and buyers wanted deep discounts and free shipping and free returns which eBay encouraged, eBay’s fees were being raised higher and higher while I was making less and less. It made it impossible for small sellers to compete so I canned my sellers account last year.  I commend you all for sticking it out. 

Message 47 of 61
latest reply

I've been with eBay since 1999 and am more of a buyer than seller. I used to average 30-40 purchases per month. Now it's 10-15 per month. There is definitely less for the serious collectors out there. As I see it, it's a snowball effect... buyers get frustrated with a lack of listings and go elsewhere... sellers get frustrated with a lack of sales and quit eBay. As a buyer living in Canada, I know I'm not alone when it comes to high shipping costs from the US. When it costs $14 US to mail a postcard, stamp or photograph to Canada, that works out to closer to $20 Canadian which is simply unaffordable. I don't have unlimited financial resources and I'm sure most people don't either. Shipping from the US is higher than any other country I have ever bought from. And then there's the Global Shipping Program. What a massive ripoff. When a listing catches my eye and I see the seller uses the GSP, I just keep scrolling past. Not only is cost beyond affordable, it adds up to a week or more to the deliver time. I've used GPS a few times and never again. It frustrates the life out of me to look at the tracking  and see that mail takes a week or more to arrive in Kentucky, then it sits there for up to another week before it even gets on the way to being delivered. Recently, I saw a postcard that I wanted very much, but the seller used GSP so I asked if he would consider not using it. He refused because mailing it to me would be a "hassle." I didn't bid and the card didn't sell. The seller didn't make an $80 sale and I didn't get a postcard I wanted. 

Another reason for my lack of buying is the stupid changes made to the collectibles categories. It's now impossible to scroll through a postcard category like it has been for decades. I've simply given up trying to navigate the mess that has been made of it and I'm spending my time, energy and money on other sites where sellers are only too happy to have me for a customer as well as the thousands of others who are leaving eBay in droves. 

Message 48 of 61
latest reply

you are fighting the chinese market who get way more exposure than you yourself..due to the fact that ebay gives them way more exposure based on their high volume of items.. Ebay has become nothing more than a Aliexpress #3.. I have been with ebay for over 19 years.. I see and know how the game works. Good luckkk

Message 49 of 61
latest reply

I'm with you on this one...ebay will be a thing of the past for me soon after over 19 Years..stick with my website at TXdashcovers.com...I hate amazon as well.. they keep it so cluttered up..you never know for sure what you are buying..Rather pay more from a website or mom and pop shop knowing what I am paying for

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

Very true-about Amazon!

EVERYTHING WE PURCHASE FOR CHRISTMAS -GIFTS- WERE FROM... C H I N A!!!!!

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

A big part of it is increased fees, less seller support, stupid high shipping costs, a crazy increase in scammers. Back in the early 2000s when I started, buying and selling was great. Deals everywhere on both sides. Selling on ebay for me has gone downhill because of all these reasons. I've thought about auctioning off everything I have and just being done with it. Maybe selling 1 offs here and there if I find them. Not sure.

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

That is true since they control your listing so you can't grow  till they block you and find another stupid seller

giving them money.  But maybe people start avoiding Ebay too there is no one even for buyer to help  is so stupid.  Avoid move on with your own site do not rely on this platform very risky you are on your own!!!!  People should start the new lawsuit again.

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

That is true!!! People have started avoiding Ebay it sucks as a seller and as a buyer even more. That is why Amazon i growing like crazy. Move on your life not worth dealing with ebay you are alone no one to help just you very risky!!!!

Message 54 of 61
latest reply

We've been selling since 2002; our main categories are vintage cameras & lenses, collectible porcelains, vintage books (mostly faith-oriented).  We've noted what I'd calla "flight to quality and utility":  The only cameras and lenses that sell are ones with established reputations.  Gone are the days of selling offbeat brands that have only niche appeal.  Porcelain and fine china sales tanked, we believe because younger folk don't give a dam about older items with timeless beauty and fine craftsmanship.  Faith-centered books and Bibles sell well - more people may be realizing this world is going the wrong direction, and are looking for truth and comfort.

I echo what others have said about the hostile environment for sellers.  The new endless lists of "required categories" seem to be designed to allow lazy buyers to ignore the listing copy and just eyeball checklists.  And while I was trying to write this comment, eBay jammed a "please take a survey about your experience" in my face.  That sort of thing is not uncommon, and is not appreciated.

You've also likely noted that, unlike in the days of Paypal processing, you can no longer download an XLS spreadsheet of your activity.  You cannot even download a simple list of your purchases.  These two factors added a couple of hours to my year-end tax prep.

After two experiences with the Global Shipping Program (GSP), I will never use it again.  It saved me zero time and very few dollars on shipping costs - at the price of no expediting information.  Shipments go into behind a cloak of invisibility and as a result you cannot track their progress.

We've tried Etsy and were not impressed with it as an alternative platform.  I'd launch our own web store but don't know how to draw traffic effectively.  Oh, well ... welcome to "the new normal" where we get half the results for double the effort. 

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

Ditto your observations about new buyers and their lack of understanding of the importance of feedback.  I'd add the comment that many of thee newbies, God bless 'em, are either illiterate or lazy.  I fill out endless lists of "required item specifics" in my listings AND write detailed descriptions ... and then get asked dumb questions which are answered in the listing itself.

Ditto your warnings about scammers; I'd add to that a warning to ALWAYS require delivery signature confirmation when shipping to apartment buildings in major US metros.  There are a lot of lobby pirates, and probably a few dishonest UPSP carriers out there in places like Brooklyn NY and Los Angeles CA (to name the worst offenders in my experience).  To capture the extra $3 for signature delivery, add one or two pounds to the shipping weight you show in your listing.

Message 56 of 61
latest reply

While I watch intently on what's going on, on the world stage, and there has been a lot during the past year, I have seen an increase in my sales.  And I'm located in the U.S.   Even the big mess up with the category changes didn't seem to effect my sales as much as I thought it would.   I sell internationally as well, but there are very few sales in that area.   It's been only this month so far that I see a decline in total sales.  Not sure yet what is causing it yet.  It may be the world tensions are making buyers nervous?   Not sure.  It may be some changes that eBay has made that takes a while for that to go through the system.  No sure about that yet either.  

Message 57 of 61
latest reply

I am having the same issues..sales dropping fast on ebay..Selling way more on my website, Which is a good thing..Hardly no returns and way less headaches from having to deal with the lousy service that ebay provides..TXDashcovers

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

Myself I have been here 19 years and this is the worst I have ever seen unless you are a chinese seller..ebay caters to them..and kisses a lot of butt to keep them on ebay..I guess it is time to retire from ebay and work strickly from my website..TXDashcovers

Message 59 of 61
latest reply

I often wonder on this same thing - that our listings may be seen by a limited few?! Seems very odd to me that I will usually have sales in 1-3 states only at times. Coincidence? I think not but I am only using eBay as a selling platform because it has sustained me for over 20 years.  My sales have seriously tanked however and I am ALWAYS listing things that normally do very well for me even at this time of year. Very frustrating and I may have to seek other selling platforms but I am a senior citizen and not too eager for change LOL!  

Message 60 of 61
latest reply