cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer Or Free Shipping? Which to do

I just got back to selling after taking 1 1/2 years off and was astounded at the rise in shipping costs. I used to offer best offer and and charged the buyer flat shipping fee. Well I wondered if that might be just too much now so on some of my listings I have done away with best offer and gone to free shipping with still no results. Is there a concensus on what buyers prefer? Thank you

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

i use free shipping on all USA sales.   I feel that most buyers are attracted to that option.    Of course the buyers are actually paying for it.    I don't very often use best offer.    If I want $10.00 but would take $8.00   I just price it at $8.00 instead of dinking around with 

an extra step and distraction.

".......What buyers prefer?"      Let us know when you solve that mystery.    

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

By the way,    A search of the word "Girls"  turns up over 9,000,000 listings under "Clothing"  

You've chosen a hard road to travel.    

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Used clothing market is very competitive.   It is important that your items are "priced to sell".   You should check competitors and see what prices they are selling at.    Your prices seem "very high" ($28 for used toddler sweater).   I don't think parents can afford that.

You should lower your prices and charge "flat fee" for shipping.  If your prices are TOO HIGH customers will never see your items (will appear on Page 12 and nobody bothers looking at that).

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I've never found "free" shipping to do anything and was actually more trouble than it was worth as I'm in pre-owned clothing. Instead I charge a capped flat rate - I raise it a bit when the USPS raises their rates - but it is still very competitive. Some markets are fine for "free" shipping - I think yours would do better continuing with capped flat rate as your items are small and lighter, but considered 'better' childrens' wear (i.e., Hanna, etc.) so commands a bit better price. Also, I don't do best offer, but I do give shipping discounts for multiples and advertise combined shipping in my listings (I just refund the overage after I combine the sales).  Periodically I send offers, mostly end of season.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Free shipping...and up the price of item. But you have to look at similar items like yours for sale. Competition is rather fierce here on eBay. Free domestic but not free international of course.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As you know, when offering free shipping, the seller has to make sure his price takes this into consideration.  In other words, there's no difference between item price of $15 with $5 shipping and $20 with free shipping.

Not sure I understand what listing with Best Offer has to do with free shipping.  But then I'm no longer a seller either.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

One of the reasons I like "Free shipping"   

It removes the buyer's temptation to haggle over the cost.    

And when I combine,    The profit is mine to keep, and not to give back to the buyer.   

Message 8 of 8
latest reply