cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Believe I've been scammed, need to make a claim. "Awaiting payment."

Hi,

I sold an item, Ps4 Pro for about 630.00 on June 5th, here's the problem. I had gotten an email from Paypal that first gave me an alarm stating it was paid for 730.00, even though I accepted the bid for 630.00. Also the payment was suspended because the account was detected for fishy behavior, and closed. I kept contact with him by email. He told me he didn't know what was wrong and was trying to work it out. Me being desperate, he told me to send the controller as well, even though my description and pictures didn't include the controller. I also told him beforehand to send me screenshots of the claim or disputes he made with Ebay but he coincidentally told me his pc and laptop had crashed. At this point I'm ready to file a claim for what is insured on the product. I can also provide screenshots with blocked out sensitive information if needed. Thank you.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@kman0558 

Sadly I think you are going to be without any money or your item.

Did you ship already?

Has it been delivered?

You wont be able to collect any insurance- that's for lost or damaged items.

Did this payment go through eBay? Or outside eBay? Via Paypal? 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I hope you didn't already send the item?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I did, unfortunately. Way back, I had gotten the notif and went back to the office to try to cancel the shipping but it was too late...

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If you shipped an item that was not paid for or having problems with you seeing payment in your PP account, there is nothing that can be done except file an 'intercept' with the shipping company you used and try to get it sent back (if it's not already delivered) 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Yes, then you have been scammed. Sorry about that. Insurance won't help you out. The only thing you can try is to appeal to the buyer (scammer), send him an e-mail asking him to pay. If he is truly honest, he will still try to pay you. I tried that once for a guy doing yardwork for me. He kept saying yes he will come back and finish. But he never came back.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I don't see any sales on this ID?

Darn if you had come here sooner we could have advised you to do a package intercept via the USPS.

Did you accept a Payment outside eBay via PP?

Because this is a VERY common scam. The "buyer" sends a FAKE email from Paypal saying you have been paid when in reality you have not.

There is no way to recover the item or money. I'm sorry.

You should report them for theft. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes I'm seeing the UPS or USACops link in the messages. I'm going to try that. He is not honest at all, and it was very apparent from the start I was just desperate. I'm going to try a theft report. And the payment was through Paypal. I made a lot of obvious mistakes.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@kman0558 wrote:

Yes I'm seeing the UPS or USACops link in the messages. I'm going to try that.

@kman0558 

DON'T CLICK ON ANY MORE LINKS YOU FIND IN THOSE MESSAGES.

If you want to visit those websites, search for those companies/organizations and access those websites from there. Do not use links directly from the message(s). Do not copy/paste the links, either.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Because you are enrolled in Managed Payments (money never goes into your PayPal account anymore).    Scammers can send you "fake PayPal statements" to make it look like they paid you.    If you shipped item by USPS you can pay money to have package intercepted and returned to you.

Never ship anything until you get noticed by EBAY "awaiting shipment".  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Paypal that first gave me an alarm stating it was paid for 730.00

@kman0558 

You are in managed payments.  If you had a legitimate sale, the funds would NOT go to your PayPal account, nor would PayPal send you any notification even if the buyer paid that way.  

Though it is not real clear in your post, it sounds like you responded to the typical "text me" scammer that either contacts you directly in your eBay messages, or sends an offer that you accept.  The

idea is to get you to give them your "PayPal email address" so that they can send phony notifications saying you are paid to trick you into sending the item.  They have no intention of really providing payment. 

If your buyer is "no longer a registered user" it is likely that the ID pulled the same scam on others.  Since the sale did not apparently go through "eBay checkout"  ebay  is under no obligation to assist you.  

If you purchased insurance from the carrier (USPS, UPS, etc.)  they are unlikely to pay unless the parcel is lost or damaged.  Does your tracking indicate the parcel was delivered?  

If  I have it all wrong, please come back and clarify. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Everything you said is correct. I believe there is nothing I can do about it but thanks for the help anyways, your post just confirmed everything that just happened.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

DON'T SHIP ANYTHING!!

But you already did.

Sigh.

Send him a Paypal invoice for the full amount of the sale. More if you included the parts he demanded.

Sigh.

It might work if he is just confused.

The apparent overpayment is often a red flag for a scam and may be why PP stopped it in the first place.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Unfortunately I already clicked the link(s). Well the cops one. Not sure if you're warning me because of potential malware threats.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@kman0558 

Yes, I'm trying to warn you about further issues with your device or account or whatever. If we've determined pretty clearly that the email you received claiming to be from PayPal was indeed NOT from PayPal, those links could easily take you to shadow sites that look so real you'd swear they actually were . . . but they're not. 

Don't click on anything again, or complete any of the forms or enter any information, etc., on wherever those links took you.

Again, if you want to file complaints with any appropriate agency or company, search for their websites on the internet and enter their sites that way. Even then, there are bogus sites out there--I've read a number of threads about people who found an eBay customer service telephone number online, called it, gave a bunch of account information, and ended up getting scammed. There's no eBay customer service telephone number available at the present time, just scammers waiting for people to call.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply