cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Feedback yet no contact from buyer?

Hi guys. 

sorry to possibly moan about this, I’m just really confused and would love some advice! I’ve been selling on eBay for a year now, mostly used and in great condition clothes previously belonging to my daughter. Most things have been worn maybe a couple times, some brand new with tags. I sold a designer romper suit of my daughters last week, which was in good condition, not looking any different from when I bought it. However, I have noticed this evening the buyer has left a negative comment stating that the suit is “of very poor standard”, yet this buyer has not messaged me. 

up until now, I have only ever had great feedback. There’s been 2 occasions where I have had a situation in which I believed the item to not be of the highest standard before it has been sent, where I have offered a refund immediately, or if a buyer has been unhappy we have dealt with it as swiftly as possible. This buyer doesn’t seem to have any bad feedback, I just find it really strange how I haven’t been messaged about this? 

I have messaged her explaining I am sorry to hear about this but wish we could’ve dealt with the situation before simply leaving bad feedback, and leaving me in the dark on what the issue is. I would’ve been more than happy to refund her as soon as she had made me aware! I was just wondering if this would jeopardise me in any way regarding my eBay account? Or if this could potentially have malicious intentions? Or should I contact eBay at all about this? 

sorry for all the questions - I know I’m probably being quite naive in this but any help would be much appreciated

TIA 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bad Feedback yet no contact from buyer?

For whatever reason a buyer may have, some just don't contact a seller with there is a problem.  They hit their FB instead.  I don't know if it is because they think that is the way to communicate to the seller there is a problem or what.

If this were my transaction.  I would NOT respond to the FB on the FB page.  I would instead send a nice, polite and professional note to my customer.  I would express my sincere concern over whatever issue there may be and ask for details.  I didn't know there was an issue until I saw the feedback as I have no emails from them at all.  So politely ask for details so you can work with them.

If they respond and you get things worked out with them, AFTER all of that ask them if they would be willing to change the FB they left for you.  If they say they would, then AND ONLY then, send them a FB revision form.  Tell them they will receive an email from Ebay that will contain a link so they can easily change the FB.

But do not send the form unless your buyer knows it is coming and they have told you they would change the FB.  You have a limited access to these forms, they have a short life span and you can not send another one to the buyer if they let the first one time out.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would reply to the feedback:

Sorry you're not happy with the item, please return for a refund.

This will show buyers you're willing to work with them.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so so much! 

I didn’t even think of doing this, so will do this. 

thank you!!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Buyers are not required to contact you. Sometimes we just have to live with a legit difference of opinion, and a customer who expresses it.

Negs aren’t really very important anymore. Just get some sales on top of it.

And make a calm reply like suggested above.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I got one like that a few months back. No contact at all. My reply to her feedback was "I wish you had let me know there was a problem. Communication is important."

I would have gladly refunded her purchase price, but I don't know what I don't know. Never heard anything from her so she took a trip to my BBL. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi @kirstekilda0 As mentioned, buyers aren’t required to contact a seller prior to leaving negative feedback. It is encouraged, but not required.

Negative or neutral scores no longer count against your seller metrics, so a calm factual response has the power to disarm an unfair comment. It shows your future buyers that you address customer concerns.

That said, i wouldn't leave a comment just yet. You might be able to get that neg removed. Feedback is supposed to rate the seller/transaction, not the item. Here is the wording of the policy:

If you decide to leave negative feedback, make sure it's fair, factual, and relates specifically to your transaction with the seller. Remember, feedback is about your experience with the seller – it's not a review of the product you bought.”

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/leaving-feedback-sellers/leaving-feedback-sellers?id=4007

Call customer service and have the policy page open so you can refer the rep to the exact wording. There’s a good chance ebay will remove it. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so so much! I didn’t have a clue! Really appreciate this x x
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Exactly my point! Quite settling to hear it wasn’t just me then - so thank you lol! Was just a shame really as similarly to you said, if there was a problem could’ve been sorted! Thank you so much x x
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you!!! Xx
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

For whatever reason a buyer may have, some just don't contact a seller with there is a problem.  They hit their FB instead.  I don't know if it is because they think that is the way to communicate to the seller there is a problem or what.

If this were my transaction.  I would NOT respond to the FB on the FB page.  I would instead send a nice, polite and professional note to my customer.  I would express my sincere concern over whatever issue there may be and ask for details.  I didn't know there was an issue until I saw the feedback as I have no emails from them at all.  So politely ask for details so you can work with them.

If they respond and you get things worked out with them, AFTER all of that ask them if they would be willing to change the FB they left for you.  If they say they would, then AND ONLY then, send them a FB revision form.  Tell them they will receive an email from Ebay that will contain a link so they can easily change the FB.

But do not send the form unless your buyer knows it is coming and they have told you they would change the FB.  You have a limited access to these forms, they have a short life span and you can not send another one to the buyer if they let the first one time out.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi @kirstekilda0 As mentioned, buyers aren’t required to contact a seller prior to leaving negative feedback. It is encouraged, but not required.

Negative or neutral scores no longer count against your seller metrics, so a calm factual response has the power to disarm an unfair comment. It shows your future buyers that you address customer concerns.

That said, i wouldn't leave a comment just yet. You might be able to get that neg removed. Feedback is supposed to rate the seller/transaction, not the item. Here is the wording of the policy:

If you decide to leave negative feedback, make sure it's fair, factual, and relates specifically to your transaction with the seller. Remember, feedback is about your experience with the seller – it's not a review of the product you bought.”

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/leaving-feedback-sellers/leaving-feedback-sellers?id=4007

Call customer service and have the policy page open so you can refer the rep to the exact wording. There’s a good chance ebay will remove it. Good luck and let us know what happens.

If nothing else, a feedback response along the lines of "We have not heard from you in regards to this issue. Please contact us so we can resolve any issues." will at least show a potential customer that you care and will attempt to rectify any problems. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply