cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful negative feedback from a scam buyer

Hi, I want share my experience that just happened last week. So, there is this buyer that purchased a jersey from me and then he tried to return it saying it was counterfeit, I’ve been collecting soccer jerseys for over 14 years and selling for almost 9 years on eBay and never had purchased or bought any counterfeit jersey, but the buyer did it to be able to return it and get the money back and he left me negative feedback. So, I proved the buyer that the jersey was in fact authentic and also got in touched with eBay customer service and since that day, eBay hasn’t resolve my problem nor remove the negative feedback.

They need to put a stop to buyers that like to take advantage of returning policy and be able to keep the item and the refund he knows how to use and abuse the process. 
I really had a bad experience because his feedback he’s going to impact my sellings.

I’ve been in touch with customer service several times and they just tell me that I have to wait 72 hours, every time I call they will file a report about it and I just have to wait but they won’t do nothing. What kind of service is that? 
You don’t do that to your good sellers 

i hope I get feedback from some of the sellers if they have experience this issue. 

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Unfortunately, when a buyer files a "not as described" case, whether accurate or not, you as the seller must allow the return or risk losing the item and the money. 

If the buyer contacts you with concerns, you might be able to convince the buyer of their error but again, once the case is opened, you're stuck. 

Ebay is unlikely to remove the feedback because they don't know if it's accurate and they call it the "buyer's opinion." 

Sorry this isn't what you were hoping to hear but it is what it is.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

If you just offer free returns, you can keep 50% of the refund and get any feedback removed at anytime.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

@mandisattictoyz wrote:

If you just offer free returns, you can keep 50% of the refund and get any feedback removed at anytime.

OP has a no return policy. 

But even if the item is returned with a "free return" policy, can the seller keep 50% if the item is still in the original condition. (I do realize this is OT from the OP's issue.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

@alex_arandas86 

Sorry about the negative feedback... the first one stings a bit. Approving a Return request is a seller's best tack. Chin up...

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

You can't get "ANY" feedback removed, if eBay finds that the feedback is legitimate, they won't remove it, even if you offer free returns 🙂   J/S.  Been there, done that.  However, I think offering the free returns, and having the top-rated seller definitely gets you a better chance at having feedback removed....  

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

If you do what CS is saying you will lose the item and your money.

Go into the case filed and accept the return. 

Once the item is returned, refund. 

CS is not your friend.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 7 of 52
latest reply

If the buyer files an Item Not As Described case with eBay, and you do not accept the return and provide a return label, eBay will refund the buyer AND allow him to keep the jersey because your "No Returns" policy means to eBay that if a refund is made, you do not want the item back.   Your account will take a defect.  So if nothing worse happens to you than that neg, be grateful.

That's just how it works.  These disputes cannot really be investigated, because there isn't enough time and staff in the world to do so;  therefore, eBay will simply find in favor of the buyer, every time.

Had there not been so many dishonest and unresponsive sellers on eBay in the bad old days, this rather draconian MBG might not have come into being.

-

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

EBAY is not going to remove negative feedback (customer has right to leave their opinion).    Only thing you can do is leave "rebuttal feedback" explaining your side of the story.   I would be very careful about "bashing the customer" because other potential customers will read this and it will cause them to not want to purchase your items.

You could say something like "this product is 100% genuine but since customer was "unhappy" we offered a full refund.   We stand by our products 100% and want all customers to be happy with our products.

This will make any potential customers feel secure in making a purchase from you.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

EBAY is not going to remove negative feedback (customer has right to leave their opinion).    Only thing you can do is leave "rebuttal feedback" explaining your side of the story.   I would be very careful about "bashing the customer" because other potential customers will read this and it will cause them to not want to purchase your items.

You could say something like "this product is 100% genuine but since customer was "unhappy" we offered a full refund.   We stand by our products 100% and want all customers to be happy with our products.

This will make any potential customers feel secure in making a purchase from you.

Absolutely.  Sometimes you can turn a negative feedback into an opportunity to actually attract customers.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

I always look at the buyer's feedback. I know some sellers and buyers  here will say this and that but this is my opinion only. I always check feedback of a buyer. If its something for a few dollars I will send it. Its a different story when its a lot of money. Again, my opinion. I assume your buyer had just one feedback.

And I will do "returns". I used to do "no returns" but they can still get a refund and keep the item.

I learned that the hard way. Luckily, it was not an expensive item.

You can do "returns" where buyer pays for postage and notifies you in 14 days.

I got my first negative feedback and stop letting it bother me. It hurts. My buyer wanted to change the feedback to positive but the 30 day limit expired for him to change it. That was a big hurt for me especially doing a refund. The only think I can do is block him from future purchases.

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

There's nothing to see on a buyers feedback since 2008 all feedback to buyers has to be positive (there is no 'negative' or neutral' even available for a seller to give to a buyer. 

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

Unless you are registered in a completely different eBay than most of us, you are misinterpreting something.

Buyers can have ONLY POSITIVE FB, so checking a buyer's FB gives you no useful information.

Why do you assume the OP's buyer had only one FB? 

"You can do returns where buyer pays for postage and notifies you in 14 days." Nope.

As others have stated, if a buyer opens an item not as described case, even if the seller knows it's bogus, his best move is sending prepaid return label and refunding in total when he gets the item back.

Perhaps some remedial reading might be in order. 

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

The buyer here had one feedback which I was talking about. Would I sell something worth $500. to a buyer with one feedback.  My own opinion only  and I would not.

A lot sellers will do  positive feedbacks but say something like buyer slow to pay or hard to deal with.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

but the buyer did it to be able to return it and get the money back....

So, I proved the buyer that the jersey was in fact authentic...

and he left me negative feedback....

The buyer was unhappy with his purchase.

You refused to refund.

He returned it.

You were forced to refund.

I'd leave a negative feedback too.

The only question with returns for refund is -- who pays for the return shipping?

You can refuse returns, but you cannot refuse refunds.

You don’t do that to your good sellers

You refused to refund an unhappy seller when he returned the shirt.

That's not good customer service.

Who paid for return shipping? If the customer did, he had all the more reason to be unhappy.

Feedback is not used by eBay to assess member accounts.

EBay does use Defects for refusing to cooperate in Claims to assess member accounts.

No Returns means that you never want to see the item again.

No Returns does NOT mean No Refunds.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply