cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic payment on offers not always working

About 4/10 offers I receive that say the buyer will be automatically charged when I accept the offer the payment isn’t instant. Is there a current glitch for this?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Automatic payment on offers not always working

I understand that, however it is processed as I previously described.

Have you ever looked at your own credit card transactions on line.  Have you ever noticed there is a section that says PENDING.  The items that appear in that section are from places you have placed an order or purchased something from and they pinged your account to make sure you had funds available.  Once the vendor processes the transaction it will be removed from the Pending section on your card and move to being a CHARGE on your card.

This is exactly why Ebay MP has a small delay from when you get a payment from a buyer, it appears as processing on your Payments Summary report.  It moves to Available funds as soon as the actual transaction clears their funding source.  That is when the actual money is moved.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

Getting ahead of mam here in case she sees my post and corrects me lol 😉 I said cleared payment, I shouldve said approved payment. My bad. Noticed my mistake when I read her post. Cleared generally refers to cleared funds. Approved is the confirmation of order / commitment to pay... or whatever legalese the Financial Industry uses

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy 

Not a cleared payment.  In a blink of an eye they can get an approval for the charge from the funding source, but not the actual money.  That happens usually within the next 24 hours, however it can take a little longer depending on the funding source.

It is why we have a Processing money amount on our Managed Payment Summary page and an Available amount [cleared money].

There aren't "instant' payments, they take a little bit of time to get it all correctly processed.  This is not just on Ebay.  It is the same on PayPal, Amazon, Etsy and everyone else.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Getting ahead of mam here in case she sees my post and corrects me lol 😉 I said cleared payment, I shouldve said approved payment. My bad. Noticed my mistake when I read her post. Cleared generally refers to cleared funds. Approved is the confirmation of order / commitment to pay... or whatever legalese the Financial Industry uses

OMG, I did exactly that.  LOL  🤣

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

Yes thanks I saw the Buyer Requirements. I originally was under the impression that "IPR" setting on individual listings governed this issue. I've since (very recently - this week) learned to go to Buyer Reqs to control this feature. I nixed it and removed the pre-authorized payment requirement. As a buyer I find it obnoxious (but I ALWAYS pay, so I'm just irked by it), and as a seller I rather suffer a non-payer than lose potential sales as people avoid the pre-authorized offers.

One may think a buyer may opt to "Buy It Now" instead of making an offer since EBay has made it slightly more cumbersome to make an offer, so that could help a seller get a better price, but more likely that buyer may move on elsewhere and seller loses the sale entirely. 😝 I figure I don't need anything "unnecessary" working against me!

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

I'm cracking up over here 🤣 I knew the moment I read your post, you would get me on the "cleared" payment, but I'm so glad I beat you to it. That was priceless 🤣🤣🤣

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

@hphepic2 wrote:

That’s not true it tells you before you accept the offer here’s a shot of what it looks like. In this case i still haven’t been paid.

I accepted another like it earlier that day and got paid in less than a minute. 

Although eBay pre-approved the default payment method and promised you a quick payment

- the automatic payment failed e.g. due to a valid but insufficient credit card which eBay cannot predict

- and eBay has sent the buyer several messages instructing that they manually check out.

Then when they do, the buyer will select a good credit card instead -- or a method not available with automatic payments such as their balance, Apple Pay, PayPal Credit, Pay-in-4, etc. -- to pay at checkout.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

Good points again.  For me I see it differently.  Other similar sites have required payment when you purchase something for years.  Ebay is way behind on this stuff.  IMHO if they want to buy the item, they should pay for the item.

Now auctions I see a little differently as many times, especially when I use to run them, buyers bid on multiple items, so I wouldn't do it on auctions.  But for other sellers that typically only sell one to a buyer, it stops all the non payers they have to deal with.

Certainly a decision for each one of us to make so that it fits our needs.  It is not one size fits all.  

As for IPR, that has always only been for the Fixed Price on a listing.  It has never applied to Make and Offer if that is an option on the listing.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

I'm cracking up over here 🤣 I knew the moment I read your post, you would get me on the "cleared" payment, but I'm so glad I beat you to it. That was priceless 🤣🤣🤣

I had to keep my laughter down as my husband is asleep.  But dang your post was priceless and it really made me laugh hard.  Always a welcomed thing.  I love to laugh!!!

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@ma-647837 wrote:

@hphepic2 wrote:

That’s not true it tells you before you accept the offer here’s a shot of what it looks like. In this case i still haven’t been paid.

I accepted another like it earlier that day and got paid in less than a minute. 

Although eBay pre-approved the default payment method and promised you a quick payment

- the automatic payment failed e.g. due to a valid but insufficient credit card which eBay cannot predict

- and eBay has sent the buyer several messages instructing that they manually check out.

Then when they do, the buyer will select a good credit card instead -- or methods not available with automatic payments such as their balance, PayPal Credit, Pay-in-4, etc. -- to pay at checkout.

That's an interesting thought.  That would mean when the buyer puts in their funding source when they make the offer, Ebay doesn't ping it for authorization.  I did not know they skipped that step on these transactions.  Thank you for sharing.  Would you share where you got that info from.  I'd like to learn more.

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Exactly eBay is always 40 steps behind the 8 ball. I sell on Poshmark, Mercari, OfferUp and FBMP, they all have instant payment offers, always have, but when their “payment fails” it leaves your item up on the site until the buyer fixes it and tell the seller their payment fails. I have had multiple ones that never processed (so I have it setup to auto cancel at 4 days) so my item stays in limbo until the auto cancel. So frustrating that smaller companies can do the simplest things while the eBay behemoth gets dumber as it gets bigger. 

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

Okay let's just say we GET the difference between the buyer paid and the seller gets paid.  If I understand the OP correctly, they mean that not even Ebay has been paid, such that it would show as 'paid' on the 'Sold' screen, with the prompt to ship because the funds are now there to buy the shipping label.  

OP: that screenshot you posted.  -You say they haven't paid yet and you referred to it as "that day" so how long ago did you accept that offer, like what day was it?  And you're certain it is not showing as paid in your Sold listings (with the prompt to ship the item)? 

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

I was under the impression that EBay did insure sufficient "funds" (credit) on the credit card. I was of the belief that upon an offer being made, a "hold" is placed on the card for that amount, similar to car rentals and hotels. Upon acceptance they execute the payment/charge or after 24hrs release it. I've only experienced the pre-authorized offer once myself as a buyer and I didn't actually check my credit card... I should have but I didn't. I'm tempted to go make another offer just to find out if this is the case LOL.

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

That one was was 3 days ago, I’m on the 4th day before it auto cancels. I had another yesterday and it’s been 24 hours. Of all the ones that have processed it never took more than 2-3 minutes to clear. Any that never “cleared” went to auto cancel. I don’t understand the process difference between eBay and the other platforms I sell on as they don’t have this “up to X # of days to clear”, it either processes or it doesn’t. Trust me I do a lot of offers almost exclusively so it’s definitely an eBay thing not a processing issue.

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

You seeing this^^^?  Not just minutes ....or hours..... DAYS.  On that very offer he shared the screenshot of, with the green checkmark saying the payment was pre-authorized.  

Message 30 of 49
latest reply