cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic cancellation of non paid purchase with "Problem with Buyer's Shipping Address."

A buyer recently won one of my auctions and did not pay.  I waited about 4 days for payment but then received an eBay message saying that I HAD CANCELLED the transaction due to a "Problem with the buyers shipping address." I had no such problem and had NOT cancelled the transaction, and was willing to wait a few days longer for payment from the winning bidder.  What's going on here?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Automatic cancellation of non paid purchase with "Problem with Buyer's Shipping Address.&qu

That's a new one on me. I would have been watching it to cancel on Day 5, citing 'Buyer didn't pay'. What is really up here?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Automatic cancellation of non paid purchase with "Problem with Buyer's Shipping Address.&qu

@mikesbestpicks wrote:

A buyer recently won one of my auctions and did not pay.  I waited about 4 days for payment but then received an eBay message saying that I HAD CANCELLED the transaction due to a "Problem with the buyers shipping address." I had no such problem and had NOT cancelled the transaction, and was willing to wait a few days longer for payment from the winning bidder.  What's going on here?

If you want to give buyers more time to pay you need to go here

and turn it off and do it manually when you need to use it.

Preferences for items awaiting payment

https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase 

Resolving unpaid items with buyers

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=1&que... 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for showing me that setting.  Still, an automatic cancellation for non-payment should state as much. It should not state that the cancellation was due to an address problem, thus letting the buyer off the hook.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The whole process needs better wording.  I recently had a buyer not pay and it told him that the seller cancelled the order.  It said nothing about the buyer not paying.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yes, as I investigate this further, I see that there are only 3 reasons in the drop-down list box to cancel a transaction (order):

1 - Out of stock or damaged

2 - Buyer asked to cancel

3 - Issue with buyer's shipping address

So, there's no way to get an "unpaid item strike" against a buyer any more.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

On the 4th day it does say buyer didn't pay (for the seller), but that's not what the buyer sees.  @mikesbestpicks   This particular one was automated, but the one before that I closed myself for non-payment.  It said buyer didn't pay.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@mikesbestpicks wrote:

Yes, as I investigate this further, I see that there are only 3 reasons in the drop-down list box to cancel a transaction (order):

After the 4 days are up, the Buyer hasn't paid should come up as an option. Before the 4 days are up without payment, that's all you get.

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

The whole process needs better wording.  I recently had a buyer not pay and it told him that the seller cancelled the order.  It said nothing about the buyer not paying.  

Probably to avoid a discrimination charge from "people who can't afford what they want".

@mikesbestpicks wrote:

Those are the options through day 4 after the sale. 

At that point, the option of "buyer did not pay" pops up.

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@mikesbestpicks wrote:

Well, there is, as others have noted; it's just a matter of waiting for Day 5 after the sale, at which point the additional option of "Buyer did not pay" will appear and you can select that. The buyer will get an Unpaid slap on their record.

If you have the automatic cancellation option selected, the cancellation will occur a bit earlier: 96 hours from the time of sale. Again, the buyer collects an Unpaid slap at that time. 

Your Unpaid Purchases page for automatically closing Unpaid items and giving deadbeats an Unpaid slap is here: https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase

(There is also an exception list maintained on that page if you want to exclude buyers whom you're allowing to pay late.)

That aside, according to the OP, you did not do a cancellation of any kind. This leads me to think that maybe the buyer persuaded a Customer Service person to let them out of the sale...? If you didn't do it, someone else did, and the buyer cannot do such a cancellation themselves.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply