cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee - Item Miscategorized??

I sold a piece of jewelry through the Authenticity Guarantee program. Buyer paid. I shipped to ebay-directed address of the authenticator. They had it 3 business days + a weekend. Today I receive an email saying that it could not be authenticated because the" item was miscategorized". And yet they sent it on to the buyer. So 2 questions arise in my mind...

1. What does miscategorized mean? It was listed under "jewelry & watches>>fine jewelry>>necklaces & pendants". (it is indeed a 14K necklace, brand name, no gemstone, selling price over $1500.) It was pre-owned, which I stated, and in "like new" condition, although my words were "Very nice condition".  I did not ask for the "Authenticity Guarantee" program or its seal, but ebay offered that presumably because it met all the requirements necessary.

2. Why would they ship it on to the buyer anyway if they would not see fit to authenticate the necklace? Does this mean, now, that if the buyer returns it to me, it will go back through the same authentication process on its way back to me, as promised from the beginning? Otherwise, how will I be protected?

I would very much appreciate some insight from someone who has had the same experience.  Not so much interested in speculation at this point. And it's like pulling teeth to get a knowledgable person at ebay to talk to. Thought I would try here first. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I think it means just what it says, that you listed it in the wrong category, had nothing to dowith it being authenticated. I took a look aat the listing, category looks fineto me, or is there a religious jewelry category?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

And yet they sent it on to the buyer. -

---------------------------------------------------

It has been posted that in some cases that they will contact the buyer to see if they still want the item. Onward if they do, back to seller if they do not.

On what happens from here on out with the transaction...................  I have nothing.

@msjennrich 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you...Hopefully I'll be able to share some insight on all this after it's done! 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Well, my item has officially been lost by FedEx while traveling between the authenticator and the buyer. Has anyone experienced this? Will Ebay refund the entire value of my jewelry to me even though I was not able to purchase insurance for the full value of the item (over the limit)? Who will FedEx give a refund to since the authenticator is now the shipper? So many questions, but since Ebay tends to love their buyers and hate their sellers I'm not feeling good about this at all. Wish me luck.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

For whomever is still interested...I talked with Ebay and they reassured me that once the jewelry item has been received by the authenticator, from then on Ebay is responsible for the whereabouts of the item and I will receive a refund for the full value. Nice.

As a side note, I did an online search for an Ebay customer service phone number and what I got was a scammer! They wanted me to download the Anydesk app and then give over full control of my cell phone to them under the guise of "Security". Tried to tell me someone had stolen the necklace and had control of my ebay account...blah blah blah. I wore him down with so many questions he finally hung up on me. So NEVER EVER give someone control over your phone or computer with the Anydesk app when you THINK you are dealing with Ebay....you're NOT!!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Never search for eBay customer service on google. They are scammers.

Only contact eBay CS from the eBay website.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I haven't looked lately but some "authenticity items" cannot be returned to seller for a refund.

Might want to check on what can be returned from the buyer...rules do change periodically.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@msjennrich wrote:

I talked with Ebay and they reassured me that once the jewelry item has been received by the authenticator, from then on Ebay is responsible for the whereabouts of the item and I will receive a refund for the full value. Nice.

Why would you be owed a refund? eBay did not pull any funds from you, correct?

It's the buyer that's owed a refund, not you.

In this type of situation with the Authenticity program, you keep the sale and eBay refunds the buyer from their own pocket.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gave the buyer a 100% refund and since I had already been paid, they only refunded the seller fees that Ebay had deducted from the sale. So, yes, I did receive nearly $300 back in addition to what they had already paid me. The only thing I ended up losing was the shipping I paid for the item to reach the authenticator.

I have to say, this was the best customer service I have ever received as a seller from Ebay. I have no complaints with the service I received. Ebay took full responsibility for the loss of the item that happened on the way from the authenticator to the buyer. It actually was FedEx's fault and I assume Ebay will work with them on getting some sort of reimbursement for that loss.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply