cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentic Preowned Sneakers Failed Sneaker authentication

Just wanna start off by saying we have been on eBay for 10 plus years and counting selling sneakers with a flawless record up until now. We average about 100 plus sneakers sales a week. Would also like to add we are human and not perfect, but in this situation have done no wrong.  Lately  We’ve been experiencing issues with the preowned authentication. When the authentication process first started , it seemed to be a very good idea, and we were very excited about it. Didn’t have any trouble outside of shipping delays until they added preowned listings $150 and up. That’s when all the trouble started. In the past 2 months we’ve had several preowned items fail authentication that we know were in fact authentic. Once returned to us, we listed them on the GOAT platform which is merged with flight club (one of the oldest trusted sneaker sources on the internet). Once sold, GOAT authenticated them with no problems , just can’t understand why eBay can’t. Now our account is restricted due to their counterfeit policy. When you try to call them in regards. It’s you’re wrong, their 3rd party authenticators are right, and that’s end of story. Only taking  the time to share this in hopes that someone from eBay will see it and make some changes. At this point it seems we will eventually be forced to quit selling on eBay if things don’t change, which is really disappointing considering eBay has always been our go to platform , and most importantly what we’re known for. If they don’t have the knowledge to authenticate a certain item, or just aren’t comfortable doing so, then that’s completely understandable. We as a buy/sell/trade sneaker store politely pass on items we aren’t 110% sure about all the time, but we never call “Fake” unless we 110% know they are fake. So It seems as though if they aren’t sure the item in question is authentic, they’re considering them fake, which is not right. We’re basically being punished for their lack of knowledge, I’ll be the first to admit worn shoes can get a little tricky sometimes, but it’s still not right for them to handle it the way they do. They’re trying to compete with stock X and GOAT, and I have always favored ebay over both, but can honestly say we have never dealt with those type of problems on either platform like we have recently with eBay.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Authentic Preowned Sneakers Failed Sneaker authentication

When you try to call them in regards. It’s you’re wrong, their 3rd party authenticators are right, and that’s end of story. 

@kosmic_sole 

It is probably not any consolation to you, but they say the same thing even if they send back different shoes to you.  Buyers who receive the wrong product, are told are given a like story.   Apparently, this "authentication" program has some issues.  

There was a post the other day about an eBay "twitter" account specifically for issues regarding the sneaker sales, so you don't necessarily have to deal with the regular eBay CS that cannot give anything other than the scripted response they are required to use.  I will see if I can find that for you.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@kosmic_sole 

https://twitter.com/ebaysneakers 

Don't know if it will help, but keep the info should it be useful. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Was your restriction lifted?   

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I'm a witness (and a victim too) of the failings of Ebay SNEAKER AUTHENTICATION PROGRAM.  I know what we are "against" in the area of authentication, and I believe it will take a lot of us, pounding on the very same issue, if we are to affect the much-needed corrections in this otherwise well-intended program.

I started selling (and buying) on Ebay in the year 2000---twenty-one years selling mostly high-end men's designer fashion and a perfect 100% positive feedback.  I successfully sell on other platforms like StockX, Grailed, Alias and, to lesser extents , also in Mercari and Poshmark. I've never ever had any problems what-so-ever with issues of authenticity related to anything I sell.  Besides selling new stuff, I also sell many pre-owned pieces from my personal wardrobe. 

Most of what's in my closet comes from designers' boutiques and the best of department stores from the NY Metropolitan Area and also from European online retailers. I own an extraordinary collection of men's shoes (all of them in the sizes I wear) from Gucci, Versace, Louis Vuitton, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Burberry, Martin Margiela, Bally, Givenchy, Balmain, Salvatore Ferragamo, Dsquared2, Paul Smith, NDC made by hand, Ralph Lauren, Yeezy, Adidas and Nike and others; as well as clothing and bags from many of these designers.  

Although I'm not a designer or a fashion technician per-se, I believe I do have enough experience in men's fashion, accumulated in the many years I've worked in the fashion industry, in Manhattan (NYC).  I consider myself pretty knowlegedable in the fashion areas of fabrication and components, construction, sourcing, production, sales and e-commerce. 

For me, selling on Ebay is like a hobby---something that I truly enjoy a great deal.  Every single time I list something for sale, it takes me hours putting together my listing.  Each one of my items is almost painstakingly described, in words and pictures, to provide potential buyers with as much info. as I possibly can, in order to avail a well-informed purchasing decision, and also because I do have a strict "no return" policy.  

A quick look at any of my listings will tell you that there's no way that a counterfeiter will put such effort in describing and photographing an item the way I do, unless the item is indeed legit.  Also, when evaluating if something is authentic or not, we have to look at several other intangibles too.  Just out of common sense, the likelyhood of finding that a pair of Yeezy Belugas is not authentic is, for instance, not the same as that of a pair of Gucci Made In Italy Brown Ostrich Combat Boots.   We all know that counterfeiters go for what's popular and selling like hot-cakes at the moment!  We all do!  But maybe NOT some of the Authenticators Ebay has hired to decide what's authentic and what's not. 

Here's my very recent experience, which exposes the "atrocities" of the Sneaker Authenticity Program we're hearing and seeing.  You be the judge!  

Last week one of my listing (Authentic LOUIS VUITTON All-Over MONOGRAM Leather SNEAKERS sz 8 LV | 9 US) sold for $345 w/shipping included. The listing included 15 good-quality photos (5 of them in two collages), showing every single detail of these Louis Vuitton Sneakers.  Here's the Item Description I created for this listing:

"International buyers are responsible for all import costs, including custom duties, taxes and fees.

Ideal for every day, these sleek sneakers come in smooth black calf leather with all-over laser-etched Louis Vuitton Monogram pattern and contrasting gum-shade rubber soles.

Very good pre-owned condition, with slight wear signs, mainly on the soles.  Super clean.  No odors.  Very well-cared for.  

100 % AUTHENTIC.  Authenticity Guaranteed!

LOUIS VUITTON MONOGRAM HIGH-TOP SNEAKERS 

• CODE:  G0 0063
  • TAGGED SIZE:  8 LV   |   Equivalent to 9 US
  • COLOR:  BLACK
  • MADE IN ITALY

FEATURES:  Luxurious Italian craftsmanship.  Smooth black calf leather upper with all-over laser-etched iconic LV monogram pattern.  Hi-top sneaker-boot silhouette.  Round toe.  Lace up closure.  Tan leather logo patch sewn on tongue.  Smooth leather lining.  Removable anatomic leather insole with rubber bottom layer and signature detail.  Black mid-sole with embossed Louis Vuitton signature on the side.  Gum-shade treaded rubber outsole with LV logo.  

TRUE TO SIZE.  Will fit best to US Men's Size 9

If you are familiar with Louis Vuitton Men’s Shoes sizing, kindly make your buying decision based on your own experience.  

Please refer to the following actual measurements for fitting guidance.  Bear in mind that, because the foot is three-dimensional, any two-dimensional measuring tool, such as a ruler, can only approximate your true shoe size.

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS:

• Length:  11 1/2" (outsole)   |   11" (insole)  
  • Width:  4" (outsole)   |   3 1/2" (insole) 

Comes to you from a non-pet/non-smoking environment.  Sold in “AS IS” condition.  Please refer to pictures for more details or email me if you have any questions.  Serious buyers only.  NO RETURNS ACCEPTED."

The sneakers were shipped, according to Ebay's label, to their Authenticator in Las Vegas, via FedEx-2Day Service.

SNEAKER CON C/O XXXXX X XXXXX
2970 N LAMB BLVD STE 107 S
EBAY:MFPX7H5
LAS VEGAS NV 89115

The sneakers were delivered on Mon. 9/20/21.  Yesterday, I received a notification from Ebay letting me know that the "Authentication Had Failed", with a comment that "Authenticator Was Unable To Confirm Authenticity" and nothing else!

Minutes later, Ebay initiated a return and refund process that, from beginning to end, did not take more than 1 hour.  Talk about expediency! which is totally absent when many sellers need help. 

Needless to say, I was totally enraged by the lack of knowledge and common sense of the "ULTIMATE DECIDER", who is the person(s) appointed by Ebay to infallibly decide that my item was not authentic.

Twenty-one years selling on this platform, with a record showing that I have never sold anything that is not 100% authentic, and still, I was not deserving of the opportunity of a quick consultation (perhaps over the phone) to discuss the problem or the right to appeal the authenticator's absurd decision. 

As if to add insult to injury, Ebay came back minutes later with a deletion of the listing, due to the authenticity concern, and a warning about their policy on my record. 

Knowing what I was against to in this case, I managed to write a note of apology to the buyer, who graciously replied in no time, giving me a vote of confidence and offering to purchase the very same sneakers once I got them back. 

I'm coming to the realization that, unless a rectification is made by Ebay soon,  I will have no choice but to seriously consider NOT SELLING items that have to go to an authenticator.  Let's see!

I'm including all the pictures posted in my original listing so that you can be the judge too!  It's only a day later and I'm still scratching my head thinking how ignorant one has to be to think that something like these pre-owned, "not current style" Louis Vuitton shoes, bearing an intricate (and expensive) laser-etched LV Monogram pattern on black smooth leather, with numerous inside-and-out LV "markings", can be deemed not authentic!  God help us!Louis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-1.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-2.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-3.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-4.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-5.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-6.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-6a.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-6b.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-7.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-8.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-9.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-9a.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-9b.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-10.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-11.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-11a.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-11c.jpgLouis Vuitton Monogram Black Leather Sneakers 8 LV-12.jpg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

They did it to me too!  I bought my AF1s at the store for a hefty price.  I will never sell another shoe on eBay again.  ever...  They better send my shoes back.  I am reading that they send people the wrong shoes back and then won't right it.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Did you receive your sneakers back? About to send my first pair off to Authenticator and I’m super nervous reading all these horror stories. I at least want to know I’ll get them back if they fail for some strange reason 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply