cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions Suck

Lately my auction activitey has sucked. I have auctions that have anywhere from 50 to 200 view with multiple watchers and no sales. Also, most of the items that are bid on (and that is very few) don't go up but the first bidder wins the auction even with scores of views and multiple watchers. Is Ebay manipulating this? Is there a glitch that no one knows about? Something just isn't right. 

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Auctions Suck

Prove that they are doing what you are saying and that is a major law suit. It's call "reasonable expectation of service". I just don't understand their reasoning. Turn the servers on around the world 24/7/365 for everyone and make a pile of money. seems like a no brainer to me. I'm sure they have some pointed head MBA crunching the numbers that has never even looked at Ebay for any length of time telling them this is what they need to do. These morons don't even know what motivates a buyer to be like fear of loss or possibilty of gain. I have to laugh at their online marketing. I do a search on my own items to see what things look like and for a week after that I get Ebay ads on FB, news pages or just random search I do and most of the time the items I see are mine. 

Message 16 of 73
latest reply

Ebay has always viewed sellers the the adversary. Practically everytime I call Ebay I tell them the the sellers are Ebay's customer and the buyers are the sellers customers. They just don't get it. They think the buyers are their customers. 

Message 17 of 73
latest reply

@debvor wrote:

Why such dismall quarterly number then?

eBay's numbers are not dismal ... they are "behind".  At a time when other internet sellers are posting growth numbers like 20% or 30%, eBay is posting growth numbers of 8%.  eBay is growing, but losing market share.

The big bomb came not with the quarterly report, but when eBay's CEO lowered future revenue forecasts ... that is what put the stock price into a tailspin.  An internet retailer that is posting lower growth numbers than competitors should be articulating a vision to overcome those growth numbers and catch up with competitors ... instead, by lowering future estimates, eBay just effectively told investors that their vision for growth is failing.

Message 18 of 73
latest reply

Same thing here. The first three were great. And stupid me actully thought that Ebay was finally doing something for sellers. 

Message 19 of 73
latest reply

@debvor  Perhaps a different view on your approach to Auctions is in order.  I like this approach:

-The starting price should be set so that one bid is the same as if it were a fixed price listing whereby the price includes your profit, etc.  More bids simply means you make more profit.

-With the correct starting price simply means your 5-7-10 day item ends sooner then say a 30 day fixed price listing but again, has the potential to sell for more

-We end Auctions on weekends ... eBay published the fact that Auctions have good success ending on Sundays.

-Raise your price on those high view-high watch count items

I prefer selling Auction style but acknowledge that some things sell better fixed price ... when you do a sold search also check how the items were sold (as fixed price or auction) ... granted some of this is subjective based on the type account the sellers have an home many listings they get BUT it can be an indication.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 20 of 73
latest reply

To me being 12% to 22% behind competitors and lowering expectations going forward is "dismal"

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

For some strange reason ebay has started moving my auctions to the very bottom of the best match search in the last hours of the auction listing. The most critical time of the auction. That is a deep kick to auctioneers. In the last 2 months I noticed the new traffic would just totally drop off toward the last 4 hrs. of the listing. I have bombarded the "Tell Us What You Think" link and called them several times and finally yesterday they gave me a real reply : Regarding your auction listings you stated that the items are now appearing on the last page of the best match search. At this time this is not a site issue, rather this has to do with eBay's new platform and the criteria the item is being searched/sorted.

Check and see if all of your auctions are falling to the very bottom of an unfiltered search. Everyone of mine does. Every day. If you see the same problem, complain, complain and complain some more. What a horrible idea by ebay.

Message 22 of 73
latest reply

@moorfurn 

@moorfurn wrote:

For some strange reason ebay has started moving my auctions to the very bottom of the best match search in the last hours of the auction listing. The most critical time of the auction. That is a deep kick to auctioneers. In the last 2 months I noticed the new traffic would just totally drop off toward the last 4 hrs. of the listing. I have bombarded the "Tell Us What You Think" link and called them several times and finally yesterday they gave me a real reply : Regarding your auction listings you stated that the items are now appearing on the last page of the best match search. At this time this is not a site issue, rather this has to do with eBay's new platform and the criteria the item is being searched/sorted.

Check and see if all of your auctions are falling to the very bottom of an unfiltered search. Everyone of mine does. Every day. If you see the same problem, complain, complain and complain some more. What a horrible idea by ebay.

Okay, you got my attention with this post for sure.  I will definately complain X 10 if I can duplicate your results.  May I ask you a few questions?

1. What type items do you mainly sell on Auction?

2. Do you know if they are in saturated categories?

3. When YOU search in the last 4 hours of an Auction are you logged in to your account or NOT logged in so you would be more like a potential Buyer?

4. When YOU search, do you type YOUR item's exact title or think like a Buyer looking for something like you have for sale and type in a close but no identical title?

Regards,
Message 23 of 73
latest reply

EBay has been flooded with a massive amount of low quality Chinese junk and the system is struggling. Ebay needs to tell the Chinese to find another venue to push their junk. America built Ebay, but it looks like the Chinese will destroy it.
Message 24 of 73
latest reply

Everyone, please stop selling using auctions. eBay doesn't have the traffic for auctions that it once had and as a result, selling prices have been consistently going down, which in turn erodes the prices for everyone else. Auctions are over and done.

Message 25 of 73
latest reply

@twobearstrekking

@twobearstrekking wrote:

Everyone, please stop selling using auctions. eBay doesn't have the traffic for auctions that it once had and as a result, selling prices have been consistently going down, which in turn erodes the prices for everyone else. Auctions are over and done.

Bad advice, sorry but that's my opinion but I respect yours.  Auctions work just fine and are alive and well ... not sure where you get your info but if its from eBay's suggested starting price of  $.99 then that is where the problem is.  If one prices their starting auction price correctly and it gets 1 bid then its profitable ... more bids from 2 or more interested parties increases profit and Buyers are happy because they got the thing they wanted or needed for their collection.  So when the $ 50 item bids to $ 200 or the $ 175 item bids to $ 500 or the $ 30 item bids to $ 800 we should what, give their money back?

And whether you know it or not some Buyers LIKE that excitement of Buying via Auction style listings ...

Regards,
Message 26 of 73
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twobearstrekking

@twobearstrekking wrote:

Bad advice, sorry but that's my opinion but I respect yours.  Auctions work just fine and are alive and well ... not sure where you get your info but if its from eBay's suggested starting price of  $.99 then that is where the problem is.  If one prices their starting auction price correctly and it gets 1 bid then its profitable ... more bids from 2 or more interested parties increases profit and Buyers are happy because they got the thing they wanted or needed for their collection.  So when the $ 50 item bids to $ 200 or the $ 175 item bids to $ 500 or the $ 30 item bids to $ 800 we should what, give their money back?

And whether you know it or not some Buyers LIKE that excitement of Buying via Auction style listings ...

If it works for you and you are happy with it, then more power to you. However, most people aren't employing your auction strategy, which is why it surpresses prices.

I had typed up a very detailed response regarding my strategy, but suffice to say that I regularly realize higher prices with BIN/BO listings than competing auction listings. It all comes down to reaching a wider audience and thus increasing the liklihood of a higher price. You have some great items. It is my opinion that you could realize higher prices by abandoning the auction strategy (unless you rely upon it for a quick sale). JMHO But hey, I've only been on eBay for 20 years this coming January.

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

No, I don't buy that up and down trends everyone speaks of on eBay. There are more than 200 million people in the US and more globally, and I'm not selling my items? It's almost like the lottery, you have a million-to-one chance of selling items.
No. Something's going on.
When China is killing it in sales and US sellers are cstruggling, then something's wrong with the picture. Tell Mr. Wenig that it isn't working out, this whole 'let's be like Amazon' attitude. Amazon's shares are around a thousand bucks. eBay's around $30 bucks a share. Been that way for around five or six years. It ISN'T WORKING.

Message 28 of 73
latest reply

@twobearstrekking  wrote: "If it works for you and you are happy with it, then more power to you. However, most people aren't employing your auction strategy, which is why it surpresses prices.

I had typed up a very detailed response regarding my strategy, but suffice to say that I regularly realize higher prices with BIN/BO listings than competing auction listings. It all comes down to reaching a wider audience and thus increasing the liklihood of a higher price. You have some great items. It is my opinion that you could realize higher prices by abandoning the auction strategy (unless you rely upon it for a quick sale). JMHO But hey, I've only been on eBay for 20 years this coming January."

I am not really selling my concept here, just sharing what works based on my experience and more importatnly, the type of items I sell.  The starting Auction price IS the Fixed Price equivilent, that's the point I may not have made clear.  As to you "realizing higher prices compared to competing Auction listings", that's somewhat subjective if Sellers are being duped by eBay to start their Auctions at a lower price.  I prefer Auctions but depending on what kind of listings I have available at the end of the month I may switch the Auctions to Fixed Price or vice versa ... you see the price is the same, its just that the Auction listings have the potential to bid higher thus increasing the profit that's already in the starting price.  There is no difference between an auction that takes 7 days and sells on one bid or the FP listing that sells on day 7 at the listing cycle.

Here's one that worked out well, I had a piece that I researched and the highest it sold for was around $ 240 and many in the $ 175 - $ 200 range.  My starting price that included my profit was $ 194.95, a price I was happy to get on one bid ... it wound up selling for $ 360 ... way OVER the average and WAY over the highest priced found in Sold search at the time.  BUT, had it sold for the $ 194.95 I would have been happy as it was in the sweet spot price-wise for the piece.

Regards,
Message 29 of 73
latest reply

Last night I went into my main eBay store and cross posted several items onto another selling site I use. Items that are all hot sellers, all sitting dead as door nails in my main store here on eBay. Items I have at THE LOWEST price on eBay. Items that should FLY out the door here are sitting.

2 of them sold within 5 minutes, and, at a higher price, in fact, the price I believed they would sell for here. The others already have so much action I expect them to go soon too.

I have done this little 'experiment' several times now, different items too. Same results. I am focusing on other platforms as eBay is a waste of my time right now. List and list and list, and watch it all sit with no views, no nothing, then roll off with less that 5 views, half of those my own. Why bother? It's not getting any better for me, my stores, or my wallet. When I list these same items on another site and they go instantly, I know 2 things already.

1) My pricing has gotten SO LOW in an attempt to make a sale here on eBay, my items were underpriced on the other platform. Listing them at a higher price and they sell right away, tells me my price was too low. eBay has TRAINED me to expect nothing for my items, to not believe in my items, to expect NOTHING.

2) For WHATEVER reason, eBay is not getting my items in front of buyers. Buyers are the same here as other sites, good product, good price, good seller, they buy it. Not here anymore, not for me.

In my case, it IS eBay. Items have UPC codes, are new, priced lower than ALL the competition, and not selling here.

I was told my stores were corrupted and there was a problem and a lot of my items are NOT being seen. Phone calls and 2 reps confirmed this. My accounts were supposedly sent to technical to figure out what was wrong.

As of today, still not fixed. Clear they never will be.

So, last night I made the decision that eBay is my LAST place to list. I was working like a dog to get listings up in my eBay stores while also working the other platforms. I am wasting my time trying to list on eBay right now. All those work hours spent just to see it all tank. Then list on other site and massive interest and action?

No brainer. All my listing time will be for the other sites. I'll cross post to eBay when I have time. It made me so angry last night to see these items fly off the shelf on another site (I knew they would too, that's what is making me so upset with eBay, they should fly here too!). I'm wasting my time, creativity and blood pressure chasing my tail here, expecting it to get better.

Trying not to loose TRS and power seller and blah blah blah by continuing to list here under duress is pointless. In my case, I cannot win. I sourced new Disney, Health Products, Hair Care, all sold and is selling elsewhere at higher $$$, why can't it sell here? I give up trying here. It's pointless in my case.
Message 30 of 73
latest reply