cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Art Prints Packaging, but Live Customers too!?!

I sell a lot of art, prints, ephemera, paper, OR at least I would like to.... My business is selling rare books, and a few prints or paper items, here and there; however, I have thousands more, ready to go (almost), and currently unlisted.

My problem is that I have been buying plastic sleeves in packs of 100 (think comic book protectors) but the large sizes (over 20") are so expensive, and when you factor in a large mat board, and sometimes a mat frame it really adds up fast, and as a result I only end up packaging small batches--instead of knocking out the 5,000+ pieces as one huge project.

I need to protect them, as my shop is not exclusively online, and I get many people going through my prints and paper, but since I have all these unprotected ones, I just don't show them. I know there has to be a more cost effective solution out there!? Maybe someone knows a wholesale option, or a different method all together? I'd love to hear any and all solutions--no idea is a bad idea! 😄 

This is not a shipping issue/question. Only protection for display and handling. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Sounds like you're using bags meant for comics, but they are useful for any paper item. Are you buying the bags and archival boards together?  A 100-pack of the smaller bags/boards goes a long way for items up to about 8 x 10 inches. Good protection and easy to ship between cardboard in a padded envelope or box.

The larger bags/boards obviously go up in price and can be cost-prohibitive -- but you already know that. Interested to hear ideas from others.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yeah I've actually found the sets, bag and backing board, made for comics to be extremely cheap, .10¢ for the set--closer to .25¢ if we only buy 50 or 100.  Sadly it's the larger ones which can be as much as $5 ea. for the bag and a backing board, and I think we actually paid 7 or 8 once, when we added a mat or used thick backing boards. 😬

I appreciate your reply.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I see from your store that you sell larger ephemera so this may or may not apply to you. I sell small ephemera so I purchase boxes of plastic protectors (and all of my packaging materials including cardboard backers) from estate sales or freebie sites for a very low price or free. Every time I go to a sale I pick up materials, needed or not, until I have a full supply. I only pick up new materials.

A standard protective sleeve fits 8-1/2 x 11.

Specialty sizes fit postcards, trading cards, stickers and other small ephemera.

I store all in 3-ring (D-ring) binders also picked up at estate sales.

I label the binders with a sku number.
I purchase (on ebay) rigid photo self seal mailers for shipping and cut to size when needed for smaller sizes. Very little elbow grease involved and saves money.

I sell a few larger ephemera occasionally. When I do I just slice and overlap two protective sleeves and do the same for the rigid mailer. You may find larger protectors at sales. I've just never needed them. There are a lot of crafters and collectors out there that purchase these items new and have left over supplies.

In regard to buying rigid mailers in bulk... with the recent shipping changes I guess oversized shipments are getting too expensive for sellers.  I've noticed that my supplier of rigid mailers has reduced bulk shipments from 250 to 100 mailers (free shipping).

Prices have gone up since last time I ordered.

Good luck and good sells to you!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Try to use museum quality acid free boards as backing(especially on more valuable items). You can buy archival mounting corners or fold acid free paper to position the prints centered on the board. Then use Saran wrap around the face and tape to back of board. Professional look at the cheapest price. Go to local custom frame shop for scrap material(acid free matboard).

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Rare items need to be packed like breakables...sorry, but it's the truth. A dent in a book can hurt it if it is rare or a tiny tiny cut in a print. I would never cut corners mailing these out.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Size matters a lot.

I ship prints and ephemera.

I do not ship any over 20 inches unless they are expensive enough to justify paying USPS length fees.

I ship in Stayflat Mailers with good results. The maximum size I use is 15" x 18". And these easily ship by Ground Advantage which as you probably know costs based on zone and weight. They can be bought on both Ebay and Amazon.

For display and for more valuable pieces, one can use shrink wrap. I bought a used machine at auction and a roll of shrink lasts a long time. But you will be paying dimensional weight and other fees to ship them and they need boxing.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Check out painters plastic at home Depot. The  2 mil and 3 mil are absolutely perfect for that. And you can't beat the price. I package my maps and prints in that and it works great. It's in the paint aisle and comes in packs of 3. I get about 60  shipments worth for in 1 pack for 3 bucks. You just can't beat it. Been doing it that way for 15 years now. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Really, isn't it a milky clear? I had bought a large roll of 2 or 4 mil plastic from Home Depot for one of my garden covers, or maybe did I buy something different? This was a few years ago.  If it's clear, this might be exactly what I need, as I have many maps too! 

What do you use for backing boards? 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I use cardboard. I buy in bulk so it's pretty cheap. I've never used a backer board and I've sold 1000 or so prints and have never had a complaint. Package well and I don't need backer.  2 or 3mill is pretty transparent 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is all excellent! I believe the shrink wrap machine seems like the way to go, especially with unique sizes, and the stayflat mailers will save a ton of time from me using cardboard layers, then wrapping in parcel paper, of course I'll still have to do that for large pieces. 

Do you have a good place for getting backing boards? 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I'm with you 100% on using acid free backing boards!

If you have a stack of prints all with saranwrap wouldn't they stick together, and be hard to look through? 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@edition_deluxe_rarebooksllc wrote:

Sadly it's the larger ones which can be as much as $5 ea. for the bag and a backing board, and I think we actually paid 7 or 8 once, when we added a mat or used thick backing boards. 😬

WalMart and Dollar General have 20x30 inch rigid foam boards (Readi-Board) for $1 each. 

At my local Dollar General, if you make any purchase you get a coupon good for $5 off a $25 purchase the following Saturday, which brings them down to 80 cents each. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Rare items need to be packed like breakables...sorry, but it's the truth. A dent in a book can hurt it if it is rare or a tiny tiny cut in a print. I would never cut corners mailing these out.

I used to bullet proof the packaging on everything I sold. I no longer do. I ship via USPS primarily and they are good enough that I can simplify my packaging and not have any damage 99% of the time. Obviously if the price is high enough, I might make an exception and bulletproof.

I have had only two customers complain of damage in a stayflat mailer in 4 years. And one did not want to return the item. The other happened because the envelope opened and I now tape all of my stayflats.

We can write my decision off to sloth, the only fun part of my business is buying and research the context and history.  I try to minimize the time spent in boring activities.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

I use cardboard. I buy in bulk so it's pretty cheap. I've never used a backer board ...

Acid-free cardboard? If not, it's ok for shipping but for not long-term storage or display. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply