cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are watermarks allow or not? Can someone from eBay respond .....

I am asking for clarification on whether or not watermarks are allowed on photos or not?

Back in 2017, eBay removed over 300 of my images as they were watermarked, but now I see many other seller using them again and using my photos with their watermark! I do all the work and they take them and use them.

What can I do as I don't what to do double work....Just want a final answer on this from eBay. Should be easy to make this decision. 

Thanks -  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are watermarks allow or not? Can someone from eBay respond .....

@motorcitytoyz wrote:

....Just want a final answer on this from eBay.

Here is eBay's policy (watermarks are not allowed):

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

Based on eBay's policy, your own experience, and what you currently see in listings, you can see there is still a spectrum of compliance out there.

Here is a bit of the history of the rules. These rules only apply to photos hosted by eBay, not photos down in the description.

Beginning early 2013:

• Photos uploaded to eBay hosting must be at least 500 pixels on the long side.
  • Colored borders may not be applied to photos uploaded to eBay hosting.
  • Ownership watermarks must be unobtrusive and must not include advertising.
  • Other text applied to photos will not be allowed.

Beginning Fall 2017:

• Watermarks are no longer permitted on images uploaded with eBay listings. Policy.
  • Sellers who continue to include watermarks in images will have their listings removed from search if not corrected by March 1, 2018.
  • eBay recommends using photo best practices on eBay.

eBay made the watermark announcement back in 2017, along with the active content changes. However, there was such a backlash -- from the major listing services (who managed millions of client listings) protesting that sellers with hundreds of thousands of listings could not go through their inventory and reshoot all of those photos at the same time that they were coping with a major active content overhaul -- that the 2018 policy deadline went unenforced, although the policy remained.

The intent of postponing enforcement was that new listings with new photos should not have watermarks, while old listings could persist a while longer. The listing services all dropped their watermarking features as a result of that compromise. I have an online watermarking tool based on the picture policies of 2012,  when ownership watermarks were allowed if they met specific guidelines (no more than 5% coverage, no more than 50% opacity, not obscuring important details), so I was keeping track of the policies at the time.

The ban was actually based on behind-the-scenes consequences that sellers may not understand. Google bans watermarked photos from their shopping venue. When eBay submitted listings to Google, those with text,  watermarks, and borders were rejected. This negatively impacts all of eBay's Google listings if fewer shoppers are sent to eBay.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I watermark my photos to prevent others from using my photos.  However, I make sure I do not use the watermark to cover any details of the picture.  Thus far, I have not had any removed by eBay.   

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@motorcitytoyz wrote:

....Just want a final answer on this from eBay.

Here is eBay's policy (watermarks are not allowed):

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

Based on eBay's policy, your own experience, and what you currently see in listings, you can see there is still a spectrum of compliance out there.

Here is a bit of the history of the rules. These rules only apply to photos hosted by eBay, not photos down in the description.

Beginning early 2013:

• Photos uploaded to eBay hosting must be at least 500 pixels on the long side.
  • Colored borders may not be applied to photos uploaded to eBay hosting.
  • Ownership watermarks must be unobtrusive and must not include advertising.
  • Other text applied to photos will not be allowed.

Beginning Fall 2017:

• Watermarks are no longer permitted on images uploaded with eBay listings. Policy.
  • Sellers who continue to include watermarks in images will have their listings removed from search if not corrected by March 1, 2018.
  • eBay recommends using photo best practices on eBay.

eBay made the watermark announcement back in 2017, along with the active content changes. However, there was such a backlash -- from the major listing services (who managed millions of client listings) protesting that sellers with hundreds of thousands of listings could not go through their inventory and reshoot all of those photos at the same time that they were coping with a major active content overhaul -- that the 2018 policy deadline went unenforced, although the policy remained.

The intent of postponing enforcement was that new listings with new photos should not have watermarks, while old listings could persist a while longer. The listing services all dropped their watermarking features as a result of that compromise. I have an online watermarking tool based on the picture policies of 2012,  when ownership watermarks were allowed if they met specific guidelines (no more than 5% coverage, no more than 50% opacity, not obscuring important details), so I was keeping track of the policies at the time.

The ban was actually based on behind-the-scenes consequences that sellers may not understand. Google bans watermarked photos from their shopping venue. When eBay submitted listings to Google, those with text,  watermarks, and borders were rejected. This negatively impacts all of eBay's Google listings if fewer shoppers are sent to eBay.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I’m actually planning, looking forward to buying The new iPad Air As soon as it’s in the Apple store with the 2nd generation pencil so I can sign my own photos.

I guess those New pix of my items For sale will not be allowed here on eBay.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Simple answer is: NO they are not allowed.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply