cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know anything about Scrimshaw/Bone fake and real?

Hi eveyone!

Have an item that has me confused somewhat, and was looking for some help if possible.  Many thanks in advance!

I have a Scrimshaw type item that I can't quite identify, both in what it is exactly, it's composition, and it's age.  If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated, or possibly direct to a forum or website that might have more information.  Pictures are attached.

Here is what I know and what I think:

The design on the front is of the RMS Tayleur, and is dated 1853.
The design looks partially carved onto the piece, and partially printed (there are areas that don't seem to have any carving grooves)
I don't think this is a real antique from 1853.
But, the item does appear to be a real animal horn or bone and I don't think it's a whale tooth or anything, because it is more hollow inside than a tooth would be.
Although the bone/horn looks authentic, I haven't performed any kind of testing, like a hot needle yet.
If it is a somewhat contemporary piece, on real bone perhaps, what might you call this item if it is not authentic, antique scrimshaw?  (I've heard the term fakeshaw, but that refers to resin pieces).

Any clues?  Smiley Happy  Happy Thanksgiving!

Mark

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Anyone know anything about Scrimshaw/Bone fake and real?

Whatever it turns out to be, I would be very careful about trying to sell it.  It would be almost definitely pulled on ebay or other selling sites and if you try it privately, be sure someone doesn't turn you in to Fish and Game.  Oh, and don't try to send it through customs.  If you are in California, you can't legally send it across state lines - if it is judged to be any form of Ivory.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@gracieallen01

Thank you, I understand that as well, I very much want to be careful with this item, which is why I'm trying to gather more information before even making an attempt to sell it.  Definately don't want to break any rules/laws whatsoever.  🙂

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It's really a roll of the dice when it comes to listing scrimshaw. It doesn't look to me like there's a successful way to list it--whether it's ivory or not. I think one of the problems is you can't prove definitively that it is NOT ivory (or protected/prohibited).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/real-scrimshaw/qaq-p/29194298

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Scrimshaw-pendant-Alaska/qaq-p/26915669

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/E-Bay-removed-my-belt-buckle-stating-that-because-it-was/m-p/2...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/replica-scrimshaw-deleted/qaq-p/22259334

Here's a link to the eBay policy. You have to click on "Read our full policy" and then on "Ivory or bone."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/zoo-animals-wildlife-products-policy?...

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@monday*night*auctions wrote:

Hi eveyone!

Have an item that has me confused somewhat, and was looking for some help if possible.  Many thanks in advance!

I have a Scrimshaw type item that I can't quite identify, both in what it is exactly, it's composition, and it's age.  If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated, or possibly direct to a forum or website that might have more information.  Pictures are attached.

Here is what I know and what I think:

The design on the front is of the RMS Tayleur, and is dated 1853.
The design looks partially carved onto the piece, and partially printed (there are areas that don't seem to have any carving grooves)
I don't think this is a real antique from 1853.
But, the item does appear to be a real animal horn or bone and I don't think it's a whale tooth or anything, because it is more hollow inside than a tooth would be.
Although the bone/horn looks authentic, I haven't performed any kind of testing, like a hot needle yet.
If it is a somewhat contemporary piece, on real bone perhaps, what might you call this item if it is not authentic, antique scrimshaw?  (I've heard the term fakeshaw, but that refers to resin pieces).

Any clues?  Smiley Happy  Happy Thanksgiving!

Mark

That's a beautiful piece. Looks real and original....but and there's always a but. Scrimshaw was generally made with whale teeth, or wlarus tusks as opposed to real ivory from elephants. 

Unfortunately, the country went a little mad, like many countries, banning anything to do with ivory, thinking in terms that it must be elephant we are talking about, but that's not true. Also many of these artifacts are old enough and should be allowed to be resold. Unfortunately, you have to have all your paperwork in order.

I have a piece I love from China. Ivory children sitting on a wood carved waterbullalo. I have had it verified that it's age is well beyond the restrictions, but the beauty of the piece is magical. Now, that doesn't mean I agree with the slaughter of elephants, but what's done is done and I still think they are pieces of art.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The chip in the back shows no growth rings. The material is called Ivoroid made in the 1920s and 30s it was pretend ivory because real ivory was to expensive for the masses..

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If you search walrus tusk on ebay you'll see different examples. Dealers buy them salt them into country auctions and take advantage of the speculators...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

This looks like a cow horn. They come in different colors. Maybe this one was bleached before it was scrimshawed.

I don't think it is bone, ivory, or a whale tooth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Cow-horn-tips-x4d83-Natural-colored-polished-cow-horns/202263213923

s-l1600

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the extra info bubbeman. 😉

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Good links @pburn, thank you.  Of course, I never thought to search the eBay forums  🙂  I'll go read all of those.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I hear you on all that @pauyo_43, not condoning ivory at all, just trying to gather information.  🙂  Sounds like you have a nice piece that I'm sure looks amazing in your collection.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thank you @bubbleman2010, You are 100% correct that there are no rings, I looked closely just to be sure.  I think you are most likely correct with Ivoroid, I'll use this are a key part of my remaining research now, many, many thanks.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you @lacemaker3, I thought possibly cow horn myself maybe, but it's pretty small (about 6" long) and most cow horns that I found were in the 12-14" range.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Your santini figure is the same material....

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If you search walrus tusk on ebay you'll see different examples. Dealers buy them salt them into country auctions and take advantage of the speculators...

This isn't a walrus tusk or replica, because they are much thicker in cross section.

This is a cow horn that has been scrimshawed. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply