cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got any experience with reporting a Buyer, Don't want negative feedback for this :(

I just recently sold an Iphone 7 Plus, I listed it as Broken, For parts only. But in the description I said it had a cracked screen which have totally stopped working. I did an honest mistake to forget to update the description saying that it seems like the Charge dock (USB port) might be faulty too.

I sold the phone for a price aproximately £20 lower then all similar phones with cracked screens (looked even in worse shape in many cases) Have sold for. With similar description where I said it was working prior to the cracked screen incident which is true.

Sold it AS-IS for parts with no return.

But once I received the payment he asked if it was working, I told him he should probably have looked that up before purchasing it. And I explained the Charging detail, where he wanted a refund. Fair enough but I explained to him that I'm confident that even if the Charging port is broken, it's a part that costs only around £5 and if you already changing the screen, then that's a no big deal.

So he asked for a £30 refund if he'd take the phone. Where I agreed on giving him £18 instead as the part was too cheap. He got the phone for £130 + shipping, which is a really good price for a cracked Iphone 7 Plus 128gb.

Then after he've received it, he contacts me saying he changed the screen, the charging port and the battery (battery is something you usually change either way if the phone is 1-2 years old) But then saying it works.

Then he saying "I need the unlock code now" Where I ask him why, and giving him an URL to Apple with a very easy straight forward guide to factory reset the phone without the code.

He replied -No I want the code

Then I explain to him that the code is to access (my son's) The previous owners private data, and the reason you use a code is for that simple reason. If you forget the code or type in the wrong code too many times you need to do a factory reset according to the guide I gave him.

No one with a sense of privacy and understanding of security would give out their unlock code to a random buyer in a different country. The phone is not reported stolen or lost so all he has to do is reset it, something I would've done myself if it was possible to turn it on before I sent it away.

His reply to this message was (in bad English) but translated to something like

"No takes too long time, I need the code"

Someone who asking for this private information seems to me very suspicious, and the fact that he's spent a full day communicating with me about getting this code, and he doesn't reply very fast either kind of makes his reply making no sense "It takes too long" To do a procedure ANYONE would do before selling a phone that takes about 10min to complete.

I made the decision to report him both for the "asking for a discount/refund" after purchase, knowing it wasn't a fully working phone already. (something I wouldn't have bothered otherwise) And in the same report I added the fact that he's "demanding" to get private information instead of doing it the way he should. He already said the phone works, and he have received it (Tracked too)

So what can I expect?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Anyone got any experience with reporting a Buyer, Don't want negative feedback for this :(

Right now - you need to report bad buyer behavior so the Ebay has a history off it - otherwise - these types will continue to prey on people. I don't think he is scamming you but does seem not to know how to use the sight and how wrong it is to expect a seller to give out private information. He very well may want to return the item as he doesn't want to put effort into setting it up.

People worry to much about negative feedback - no one is perfect and in this case a professionally worded reply is actually beneficial to a seller as buyers can see the seller does try to help if a problem arises. Depending on the feedback - would depend on what you should leave would be.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Anyone got any experience with reporting a Buyer, Don't want negative feedback for this :(

You can report a buyer to eBay without any negative repercussions to you.  However, the buyer is still able to leave negative feedback for you if the transaction is not resolved to his satisfaction.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Yeah I know, And I do care a lot about my feedback. Always had 100% out of my 2-3000 transactions (feedback score of 1026 and counting through my 15 years on the site. I did receive 2 or 3 negatives many years ago from customers who simply refused to let me make them happy ie. Offering refund + keeping the item in question and similar offers.

But in this case this seem/Feel impossible as it's quite a bit of money involved, he already changed the screen, Charging port and battery. So the phone is now fully working, therefor a refund/return is most likely realistic from either side's pov.

The problem is simply the Unlock key that he wants which I'm not going to give him. Nor do my son who I was selling the phone for want to give that code out.

I'm asking about this issue because I read on the "Report buyer" page where it says that you'll be protected from negative feedback if you do. Of course That is if they would consider that report to be legit, in this case it should be easy to prove since our communication have been made through Ebay messaging service + Tracking number exists etc.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to cross fingers and hope that this dude will not be a complete **bleep** 😕

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Yeah thanks, That's where I was reading about being protected from Negative feedback and such, if it would be a violation of those terms. Which in my pov it looks like it is, if he continues to demand this information.

He now replied to me saying "Ok I reset, but want address and Pass code for iCloud to restore"

His English isn't perfect, but that's what he's saying after I'm trying to "Translate" it.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@james-of-sweden wrote:

he doesn't reply very fast either kind of makes his reply making no sense "It takes too long" To do a procedure ANYONE would do before selling a phone that takes about 10min to complete.

If  it is something that "ANYONE would do before selling a phone" , that begs the question ... why did you not do it before selling your phone? 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@james-of-sweden wrote:

He now replied to me saying "Ok I reset, but want address and Pass code for iCloud to restore"

Is that one of the steps listed in the instructions for resetting the code from Apple that you sent him?

Perhaps rather than him having a sinister motive, you are just assuming he knows more about how iPhones work than he actually does?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Ehum, because it was sold as broken-for parts only? It wasn't possible to start it up. Already explained this in the main post

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@james-of-sweden wrote:

Ehum, because it was sold as broken-for parts only? It wasn't possible to start it up. Already explained this in the main post

Perhaps rather than me being stupid, you are just assuming I know more about how iPhones work than I actually do?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Don't think I have any special motives about the matter. You most likely wouldn't buy a cracked phone sold as broken for parts if you know nothing about what you're buying. That's just my guessing, and I did give him a URL how to reset it. The procedure is incredibly easy and does not require any special skills or knowledge to do.

I Mean yeah, if it's sinister motive to assume that someone who buying a broken phone don't even know how to hold the Power button and volume down at the same time, then when it starts keep holding the Volume down. And then connect it to the computer where Itunes is installed. Yeah then I'm probably having sinister motives? *confused*

This guy is very short worded, and all he saying is "Give me code" , "Takes too long, give me code" and now asking for iCloud password instead. True though, could be a completely clueless Iphone user, but the guide to do what he wants to do is so easy that It makes it very very unlikely in combination with him already buying a cracked phone where he knew it wouldn't charge after the screen cracked. (USB dock had to be changed too)

Plus, I already told him 3 times that I can't give him the code, and referring to the Apple/Iphone guide on how to proceed.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@james-of-sweden wrote:

Yeah then I'm probably having sinister motives? *confused*

I never accused you of sinister motives.

I simply accused you of assuming your buyer has sinister motives (i.e. "someone who asking for this private information seems to me very suspicious"). 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@emerald_door wrote:

You can report a buyer to eBay without any negative repercussions to you.  However, the buyer is still able to leave negative feedback for you if the transaction is not resolved to his satisfaction.  

...and sometimes even if it is

A buyer can leave bad feedback because it rained on Tuesday.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Two things leapt out at me in your OP and that spoiled the rest of the OP for me, in addition your responses to Lucky.

I did an honest mistake to forget to update the description saying that it seems like the Charge dock (USB port) might be faulty too.

And

Fair enough but I explained to him that I'm confident that even if the Charging port is broken, it's a part that costs only around £5 and if you already changing the screen, then that's a no big deal.

Not saying the buyer is right, but sometimes the situation starts somewhere other than the buyer.  A mistake, honest or otherwise, is still a mistake.  And whether or not the part doesn't cost much doesn't matter as it is the buyer who decides whether or not it is a big deal, not you.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Feebay will tell you to refund all monies! They suck!
Message 15 of 15
latest reply