cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody with 'vacation' know-how feeling crafty?

A current post about a hospitalization disaster has made me think once again "That could be me."  -Granted I don't have nearly the size of store that that seller has, but even a few defects could spell big trouble.  I don't have a specific plan for what should be done with my eBay stuff if I'm totally incapacitated for any period of time.  @nobody*s_perfect said they had a setup for that, and we probably all should. 

Thing is, I don't even know how to put my store on vacation since I've never done it before.  But even if I did, in a time of incapacitation I doubt I'd be able to give the instructions to a family member.  So what would be nice to have is a handy-dandy piece of paper that I could give or leave somewhere they could find it, with Fisher Price instructions on how to log in to my account and just pause everything.  

Would anyone who knows how to put a store on vacation be interested in drafting up this little 'break glass' instructional?  -Not just for me, but anyone could print it out and use it.  Ooo, and could you maybe include instructions for how to cancel any sales that have already occurred?  -I know, the choice of "which reason" would be dicey, but that's something each seller could handwrite their own menu choice for.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Anybody with 'vacation' know-how feeling crafty?

All you need to know about Time Away (vacation settings) with step by step instructions

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

Your trusted person would also need to know your username and password.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Given a medical emergency requiring hospitalization I would take the more conservative path and just end all listings.  They will remain in unsold listings for months making it very easy to relist. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I chose "end" rather than Time Away because the latter  (1) is more complicated to implement; (2) has to be re-set every 30 days; (3) doesn't go into effect immediately; and (4) doesn't affect auctions. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

My ex-partner in business is my back up and has mailed out orders for me, in cases of emergency. Of course, closing the store would be the first order of business for him. Every business is different, so there is no one solution for all of them, but I literally have a marble notebook that has instructions on everything and passwords. It is a step by step on how to print labels and packing slips off ebay, how to order things from my shippers and how to even raise the flag on the mailbox for the carrier to pick them up from here. There are even templates for thank you notes for the customers and feedback instructions.  I leave all of the inventory maintenance til when i come back.  I have literally answered emails and put the store on vacation from a hospital bed many times. If I'm totally incapacitated, and it is the end of Glory Glory Gifts, my disposal of all my inventory at this location is in my Will. It's all going to be donated to a local convent to raise funds for their food pantry. 

You have to write out what is best for your business and choose someone you trust to give it to. Time away is the easiest part. Just make sure they have your password to get onto ebay and give them direction on where to find time away, stop sales, and maybe what to write to auto respond to inquires from customers. The rest is up to you how detailed you want to be in processing any orders/emails that have come in. My system works for me, but he is also an ex-employee so he knows pretty much what has to be done. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

We have had a few threads on this subject over the year and this one is a good reminder that we ALL should have a Plan B in case we somehow become unable to take care of our Ebay business, as well as any other site you may sell on.

What I've suggested in the past is pick a trusted individual in your personal life.  Tell them where they can find the information to pause all your accounts.  Write it down somewhere.  Put it in a safe if you have one or some other secure place.

You also might include the name of a trusted Ebay seller.  Someone you really trust to help walk who you designated through the process.  You don't have to give the Ebay seller any access to your account, just that they agree they would be willing to help who you designate to take care of things when you can't.

In the packet of info you put in your emergency information you could include printed copies of the policy for Time Away.  You could also give them info on how to contact Ebay in case of emergency.

It is smart to think about this and even smarter to put something into action.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You also might include the name of a trusted Ebay seller.  Someone you really trust to help walk who you designated through the process.  You don't have to give the Ebay seller any access to your account, just that they agree they would be willing to help who you designate to take care of things when you can't.

Thank you so much for THAT idea right there.  Also those who said just do 'end listings' rather than 'time away'.  That makes sense and I could just about end listings in my sleep. Like seriously unless I was blinded or had no access to any internet, I could probably end all my listings under pretty heavy hospital drugs, LOL!    

But about the 'trusted eBay seller' thing. -See this is just another example of how blonde I am, like intelligent enough yet still too dizzy to see the most obvious answer to things sometimes!  -I was picturing needing to have someone who lives close by, like my aunt, having to come INTO MY HOUSE, AND GET ON MY COMPUTER, or at least on my iPhone, to log into my account and shut things down.   Shoot, I have a very good semi-long-distance friend who is an eBay seller, and I bet she would be game for a mutual exchange plan B, where we both agree to do this for the other, if ever needed.  I would still need to give my aunt my friend's phone number and some cue that it's time to execute the plan, but anyway yeah this would really simplify the site instructions needed.  

Thanks!!!  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I like your solution.  It sounds like a win win for you and your friend.  Just remember NOT to email them any of this sensitive info.  Use snail mail so everything is secure for you.  

But I think you came up with a great solution for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thing is, I don't even know how to put my store on vacation since I've never done it before.

In an emergency, I would not fool around with 'vacation'.
I would leave instructions to END all my listings. 

IMHO you could write those instructions up yourself in five minutes. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply