cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any other way I could have done this?

Talk about an all-day wrangling ...

Had a buyer who wanted all 10 lots of similar widgets.  One lot was very large and priced accordingly more than the others.  We went back and forth all day on price for buying all I had.

So, many ebay messages plus having to know where she lived, to figure shipping, without asking for a zip code that could look like - horrors! - I was attempting an off-ebay sale.  

So, after all was agreed I told her I'd adjust the prices of the lots so that all would add up to the final number but I had to know when she was online because almost all of the lots had watchers and I've had other people snatch private sales before.

She suggested I just put the one big price on the one big lot and I really, really wanted to do that and not mess with revising all listings and worrying about someone else swooping in to purchase...but...I told her if I ended the other 9 listings all at once I could be severely spanked by ebay.

If I did just one lot, it would have been the large one and the new price would have been higher and ebay would get the fees on the adjusted higher number and we were communicating (a lot) through the large lot listing, not any of the others...but...I was very concerned about ending 9 very similar listings at the same time.

Am I too paranoid?  The price we agreed on was of course less (not by much, but less) than the total of the 10 lots originally.  I know I've confused everyone already but just think how it would have gone trying to explain to CS that yes, I ended the listings but yes, ebay still got fees.

And this is a different buyer who wanted to buy all I had of another category of widgets.  (I must have good widgets.)  That buyer has faded off, of course, after hours and hours of working with her.

And my daughter doesn't believe me when I say I'm retiring ... sheesh ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Any other way I could have done this?

Very good question.

Ending the nine listings & relisting as a lot would seem the only way.

Unless you refunded the amount over the original purchase price, not the amount you agreed on.

You would pay more in fees, but stay out of the bad kids room.

ebay is not making it easy for not just sellers but buyers as well.

Oh, I guess that would be a poor "experience"!!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

Had a buyer who wanted all 10 lots of similar widgets.  One lot was very large and priced accordingly more than the others.  We went back and forth all day on price for buying all I had.

So, many ebay messages plus having to know where she lived, to figure shipping, without asking for a zip code that could look like - horrors! - I was attempting an off-ebay sale.  

So, after all was agreed I told her I'd adjust the prices of the lots so that all would add up to the final number but I had to know when she was online because almost all of the lots had watchers and I've had other people snatch private sales before.

She suggested I just put the one big price on the one big lot and I really, really wanted to do that and not mess with revising all listings and worrying about someone else swooping in to purchase...but...I told her if I ended the other 9 listings all at once I could be severely spanked by ebay.

If I did just one lot, it would have been the large one and the new price would have been higher and ebay would get the fees on the adjusted higher number and we were communicating (a lot) through the large lot listing, not any of the others...but...I was very concerned about ending 9 very similar listings at the same time.

Am I too paranoid?  The price we agreed on was of course less (not by much, but less) than the total of the 10 lots originally.  I know I've confused everyone already but just think how it would have gone trying to explain to CS that yes, I ended the listings but yes, ebay still got fees.

And this is a different buyer who wanted to buy all I had of another category of widgets.  (I must have good widgets.)  That buyer has faded off, of course, after hours and hours of working with her.

Have them buy all the lots-- you can discount AFTER (when you invoice)

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

But then I would have paid higher fees to ebay.  I did discount the overall total and made them all free shipping as part of the deal.

I don't know; I don't ever send an invoice.  All of my items are IPR.  Are fees calculated on invoice price or listing price?  (I'm new here.  Riiiiiiight ...)

Even relisting in a single lot (good idea!) would mean I'd have to end the other 9 listings.  My brain just kept imagining the explaining to CS/no can undo suspensions responses.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

But then I would have paid higher fees to ebay. 

No.

The discount would take into consideration the eBay fees.

So if the little lots all together cost $125 with eBay fees of (10%) $12.50.

And the Big Lot cost $100 which should have eBay fees of $10.

Then your price to her on the Big Lot would be $125 for all the little lots and a discount on the invoice of $23.50.

I think.

I'm dysnumeric, which is like dyslexic with numbers, so I might have that backwards.

And Free Shipping means the cost of shipping is included in the asking price.

Which is cheaper ?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

Or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Sherry:

I DON'T think you were paranoid at all~~very valid concerns there in view of what we all know has happened in recent months.  I think you were absolutely right to be concerned!  Ending nine listings would probably have been fatal to your account.

Congrats on the sale and sorry for the concern.

Hang in there!!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Actually if they were BINs and the buyer hadn't used any of the listings to ASQ, I doubt even eBay (paranoid as they are) would care. Sellers end FP listings all the time.

Now ending the listing the buyer has been messaging through would be a different story.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@sharingtheland  To your point, you're retired, don't over think it.  Let Buyer know if they purchase all 10 lots you will refund, combine shipping, etc so the final amount Buyer pays is as agreed but until orders are actually placed it just a discussion and nothing more.  Ink and money talks ... the other stuff walks ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Am I too paranoid? 

Yes!

Since Christmas I've done 9 custom orders, buyers contact me asking about a discount and combined shipping for many multiple items. I say give me a full list and I'll create a custom listing, I'll also for a zip code of it wasn't included in the original message. Although most of my stuff isn't subject to zoned shipping the combined order might be.

For items I do not have duplicates I end the current listings, the others remain. I submit the listing and send the buyer a link.

I've been doing this for years on a regular basis, I NEVER get any off-site warnings from eBay and I also do local pick-ups which require contact info exchange (AFTER they buy of course) and discussions of payments via cash.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

But then I would have paid higher fees to ebay.  I did discount the overall total and made them all free shipping as part of the deal.

I don't know; I don't ever send an invoice.  All of my items are IPR.  Are fees calculated on invoice price or listing price?  (I'm new here.  Riiiiiiight ...)

Even relisting in a single lot (good idea!) would mean I'd have to end the other 9 listings.  My brain just kept imagining the explaining to CS/no can undo suspensions responses.

It is a decision we all need to make --- take a bit less or chance not selling at all ...

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

Am I too paranoid? 

Yes!

Since Christmas I've done 9 custom orders, buyers contact me asking about a discount and combined shipping for many multiple items. I say give me a full list and I'll create a custom listing, I'll also for a zip code of it wasn't included in the original message. Although most of my stuff isn't subject to zoned shipping the combined order might be.

For items I do not have duplicates I end the current listings, the others remain. I submit the listing and send the buyer a link.

I've been doing this for years on a regular basis, I NEVER get any off-site warnings from eBay and I also do local pick-ups which require contact info exchange (AFTER they buy of course) and discussions of payments via cash.

Jimmy, the bots must like you...or not like you as the case may be if they are leaving you alone!  Maybe you have bot repellent handy!

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

The 'bots are ambivalent about my presence but as an experienced (TV) criminal lawyer I ensure that I never say, write or do anything that could be construed as "illegal".

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

That only works if there is shipping fee.   Can only adjust an invoice for shippping cost,  not sell price.

If IPR, seller pays fee on all. Partial refund does not get FVF refund.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@sharingtheland

Raise the price on all lots to an amount no one will pay.

Make a custom listing for your buyer at a high price with "make offer". Accept offer from your buyer (or anyone) Make the sale.

Let the other listings time off. (end on their own)

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Add best offer to the listings, with the buyer making the agreed upon offer for each lot, which you would accept. Send a combined invoice for all  with any shipping adjustments made to the invoice.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 20
latest reply