cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any fix for failing to UN-CHECK the "Sell Internationally" box? I did check "Free Shipping"!

I have not sold on eBay for 2-4 years. They emphasize they like sellers to include "free shipping."

I wanted to sell a bunch of scarves. I checked SOLD listings, but it's pretty fragmented. Rough details: 100 scarves, 1 worth roughly $75, 20 at $8 average, and lots of 9-14 sold for an average of $25 (total just over $400).

So I posted a listing for $250 that I did not expect to sell - the title was: "Huge lot of vintage scarves - how would they best be sold?"

But I wasn't expecting the ad to sell, and maybe that's why I did not do due diligence, and I failed to uncheck the "Sell International" box (that should always be unchecked by default!)

Currently I have one bid from someone in Australia. There are 4 people watching, so maybe this won't be an issue, but if I cram the 12# and 3 cubic feet of scarves into a Large Flat Rate box (1/2 cu. ft.), it will cost $110.

Silly Q, but does eBay have some procedure to handle situations like this?

If the Aussie woman does win, I will talk to her of course. Maybe she has an alternative way to ship, and I don't want a customer upset because I packed the items "poorly."

Thanks for "listening."

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Any fix for failing to UN-CHECK the "Sell Internationally" box? I did check "Free

Cancel the bid and close the auction stating there was an error, then relist but do not include international shipping.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Any fix for failing to UN-CHECK the "Sell Internationally" box? I did check "Free

Cancel the bid and close the auction stating there was an error, then relist but do not include international shipping.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hot **bleep**. I decided the only cure was cancel the listing...

But I wished I didn't have to, so before doing that I contacted the bidder in Australia, apologized, and explained why I was going to do it.

She said "no problem," she would pay for shipping. Hooray.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

There is no permanent fix to Ebay's randomly inserting international shipping allowed into listings.  There is a place to set up your preferences to not allow international shipping but this too seems to be randomly changed over time.  My best guess to this ghost in the machine is that when you use a "sell similar" that allows for international shipping that it resets your preferences if you don't catch it.  But that is only a guess attempting to explain how, over time, my preferences are unilaterally changed by Ebay.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply