cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 20 years ebay slaps a $5000 limit on my selling account

I go to relist today and a pop up notice says ive reached my 5000$ listing limit-which is not 5000 in sales but the total of auction starting prices!!! I understand ebay does a lot of dumb things on the interface but this actually directly destroys their bottom line.Does anyone there know how to do basic math.A bunch of idiots.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

BASIC MATH

At present you have 2 items up for auction for a total of $674.00

In the past 90 days you have sold 4 items for a total of $1171.00

So why is $5000.00 a problem for you?

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

While you have a couple of decades on Ebay, you have had very few transactions per year during that time.  Since you don't sell on a regular basis, you have a selling limit.  It seems from what you are listing you should be just fine for right now.

When a seller desires to increase their selling limits, they are allowed to request an increase once every 30 days. Mark your calendar and every 30 days request an increase until you have your selling limit well above anything you think you will ever need. Below is a link to where you can go to ask for a selling limit increase. It is the third option in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp/sl

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

You obviously dont understand.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

So ebay tries to encourage more selling by slapping a restriction on me?This is classic ebay logic.In 20 years they havent fixed the flake bidders,the fraud bidders,the broken message system,the broken photo upload system that suddenly decides your pics dont have enough pixels.Ebay must be guided by a Marxist algorithm.Thankfully,there are much better+cheaper platforms. Im just always amazed how ebay manages new ways of finding stupid and hasnt ever evolved or progressed in 20 yrs.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@vanrandy wrote:

So ebay tries to encourage more selling by slapping a restriction on me?This is classic ebay logic.In 20 years they havent fixed the flake bidders,the fraud bidders,the broken message system,the broken photo upload system that suddenly decides your pics dont have enough pixels.Ebay must be guided by a Marxist algorithm.Thankfully,there are much better+cheaper platforms. Im just always amazed how ebay manages new ways of finding stupid and hasnt ever evolved or progressed in 20 yrs.

You likely had it for a some time now and just did not notice because you had not been selling.  Just follow the instructions I gave you above, this is a short term issue.

I get it that you have been registered on Ebay for 20 years, but you are a casual user of Ebay.  That is not an insult in any way.  We have a lot of great people here that are casual users both as buyers and sellers.  I know your length of time on the site is important to you, but your stats are what is important to Ebay.

You will be fine.  Just take a breath, relax and concentrate on selling your first $5000.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

You obviously disagree with ebay's limit.

So what do you think the limit should be?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Yeah my father has/had an ebay account. He hadn't sold for a while and recently tried to unload some items laying around his home due to downsizing and he has a $200 limit 😂.  Guess what he sold those items elsewhere. Its that simple.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Why should there be a limit at all? What is its purpose? Maybe new buyers should have limits too?? 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Monthly listing/selling limits are not new, every seller has their limits.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@reallyhardtofind wrote:

Yeah my father has/had an ebay account. He hadn't sold for a while and recently tried to unload some items laying around his home due to downsizing and he has a $200 limit 😂.  Guess what he sold those items elsewhere. Its that simple.

Dormant accounts are HUGE targets for take over by hackers.  Instead of getting upset by the low limit, your Dad should have been happy that Ebay was trying to protect him against harm.  All he needed to do was to contact Ebay.  He likely had to update some information too.  

@reallyhardtofind 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Ebay doesn't know what you are capable of handling per month until you prove yourself by getting close to it.  My account is a couple decades old at this point, but it sure didn't have a quarter million dollar limit that whole time. I am pretty sure I was still at the $5K limit when I started selling full time. They quickly raised it.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Limits can be strange stuff.

I have sold steadily for over 20 years selling/listing thousands of $'s a year. My monthly selling/listing limit is something like $15K.  (that exceeds my needs) (not sure exactly how much it is, as I have lost that square in my seller hub)

Wife started selling just a few years ago, and her selling/listing limit quickly jumped to $59,500.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Yes, he was happy ebay protected him so much that he sold all his items on other platforms.😂

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@reallyhardtofind wrote:

Yes, he was happy ebay protected him so much that he sold all his items on other platforms.😂

I am glad ebay and your dad are happy with the result .

Ebay was protected and your dad sold the items...wherever they sold at least your dad made money which is his goal.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 15 of 30
latest reply