cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Seller ID requirements

These additional seller ID requirements make me very nervous. They want my name, address, phone number, birthdate, social security number, bank account number, and a government issue photo. Why? They have yet to explain to me the reasoning behind their need for all this info.

What I DO see, is a hacker's heaven! Be prepared for ID theft! 

What I DON'T see is eBay guaranteeing that my ID will not be stolen, nor an offer of ID theft protection.

Is anyone else nervous about this?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@abcand_utepc0 wrote:

They want my name, address, phone number, birthdate, social security number, bank account number, and a government issue photo. Why? They have yet to explain to me the reasoning behind their need for all this info.

They need your social security number because the law that Congress passed requires Managed Payments to file a 1099-K with the IRS to report the payments process on your behalf. 

They need your bank account information because Managed Payments will only deposit into a checking account. 

They want your name and address and birthdate and ID in order to verify that the bank account information you give them belongs to the registered user of the account, and because the managed payments user agreement grants them the right to verify your identity with third parties like your band and credit agencies. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You can supply the information as millions of sellers worldwide have already done and continue selling on eBay.

Or you can refuse to supply the information and stop selling on eBay.

Managed payments has been discussed so many times (every time a new roll out is done) so search for those posts on these boards and you will find everything you need to know.

It is nearly 2 years since I changed over and no problems what so ever so far. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@abcand_utepc0 

You are only required to give that information if you will be selling here. If you are just a buyer, you do not need to provide it. 
Being that you have been a seller recently, you may have received the email because eBay doesn’t know you have ceased being a seller or if you’re just taking a break from selling. 

There is no reason to equate eBay with the likelihood of being hacked and having your personal information compromised. Even when eBay was breached in 2014, they hackers did not gain access to any encrypted information. Information you provide eBay is still encrypted. 
While it is important to do all you can to protect your info, eBay isn’t any less, or any more secure than all the other entities that have that same information. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think you're exaggerating about the "government issue [sic] photo."  
I did not have to provide a photo.   I did not even have to provide my state driver's license number.  
And, as I recall, eBay didn't ask for my full Social Security Number; they only wanted the last four digits.  

Some people get nervous for no reason (in my opinion).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I opted into MP during August, 2019. Two years now and nothing nefarious to report. Good luck.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, this is a hackers dream.... Photo ID, bank accounts, and so on. Been here 15 years. Thankful for all of our customers. Goodbye Ebay

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@bostekshoes wrote:

Sorry, this is a hackers dream.... Photo ID, bank accounts, and so on. Been here 15 years. Thankful for all of our customers. Goodbye Ebay

don't you mean tax evaders nightmare?????

Good luck with what ever you do.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply