cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Offers Not Being Paid For

Best Offer updates

All buyers are now required to add a payment method when making offers on Best Offer listings. After you accept the offer, we’ll automatically charge the buyer’s chosen payment method so they won’t have to return to eBay to complete their purchase.

Since this is a new eBay policy, why would "Awaiting Payment" by buyer even exist?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sellers can turn automatic payment off if they choose.   It's a problem with combined shipping.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I think if a seller sent an offer that the buyer accepted, it could fall into 'Awaiting payment', too. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If we accept a Best Offer the buyer still has 96 hours before we can open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

The UID can be set up to open automatically at 96hours and one second. Then it immediately closes and the deadbeat gets a Strike.

Not everybody has the AutoPay set up.  I personally removed it and check periodically that it hasn't glitched back in. 

Many buyers are insulted by the demand that they provide payment information before they can bid. Others are worried about giving their financial information to a stranger online.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If we accept a Best Offer the buyer still has 96 hours before we can open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

@reallynicestamps 

Since you are in Canada, next time you "accept" an offer, will you confirm that it is still working in the same fashion?  eBay is rolling out some crazy enhancement where if you accept an offer from a buyer they change the name of the transaction to "YOU MADE AN OFFER" when you did no such thing.   On the buyer side, they don't get a notice that you accepted the offer but rather YOU HAVE AN OFFER.  There is no accept button on that message.  The buyer is free to ignore, decline, or PAY.  No UID for non-payment, no auto-billing if the buyer requirements are still set to require an upfront payment source.  From those that are sharing the information, this same wacky procedure is in effect for all "offers" regardless if the buyer requirement for offers is set to YES or NO.   A seller can accept as many offers as they like for the same product, but none of the  buyers have to pay. The listing will remain live until somebody does.  

Just curious if they have expanded this to Canada as well. 

There are multiple threads on this topic all over the boards.  eBay staff has been tagged a few  times, and nobody is talking.  Here is just one of them, that likely has links to others. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Received-offers-turning-into-sent-offers/td-p/34183295

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

After you accept the offer, we’ll automatically charge the buyer’s chosen payment method so they won’t have to return to eBay to complete their purchase.

@everything_emporium 

Apparently eBay has begun to change that procedure starting last week.  No more auto-billing  (i.e. instant payment for sellers who require the buyer to put up a payment source.  That requirement no longer insures you will be paid at all.  I'm sure the requirement is still effective for discouraging buyers that DO PAY and don't wish to comply.    I suspect that too much lost revenue is why eBay is apparently re-thinking the offer issue. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I think if a seller sent an offer that the buyer accepted, it could fall into 'Awaiting payment', too. 

@mtgraves7984 

At this point, we don't know if the buyer, due to the new enhancement that looks like a glitch, gets the new version of  screen WITHOUT the accept button.   If you get any offers, do let us know and I will do the same. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you get any offers, do let us know and I will do the same. 

@ittybitnot 

I'd love to know, too. I've been pitching that as a workaround for buyers looking to make an offer... that is, to have the seller send one to them. Have no idea if it'd work...

We could stress-test it if you'd like. Have you seen the last 'Rent-A-Car' item left in my inventory?  👀

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

Most of my listings are here on dotCOM, but I haven't noticed that.

I pay attention to "your buyer has/not paid" and don't fuss about the rest.

It's confusing enough figuring out which currency I'm getting paid in. 🤔

However- I will look out for the next Cdn$ offer and see what it says for you

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The UID can be set up to open automatically at 96hours and one second. Then it immediately closes and the deadbeat gets a Strike.

Not everybody has the AutoPay set up.  I personally removed it and check periodically that it hasn't glitched back in. 

Many buyers are insulted by the demand that they provide payment information before they can bid. Others are worried about giving their financial information to a stranger online.

@reallynicestamps   They turned it back on once weeks after I turned it off.  I asked it that was a glitch but have not been graced with an answer.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Trust but verify.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply