cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About selling dreamcatchers

Since the concept of dreamcatcher has been given archaeological value, I would like to know about the restrictions for it on eBay.

(Specially when using bird feathers as a raw material )

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: About selling dreamcatchers

No restrictions that I am aware of. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Be aware of the bird feathers you may and may not use, using the link Ckimodog provided.

Do not try to pass these off as Native American, or use any words suggesting they are Native American.  It is  against United States Federal law to do so:

https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act

And, just a final comment:  Why not Sri Lankan arts and crafts, if you want to do arts and crafts?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@tikirawahunipunma-0 

Is this the Sri Lanka topic of the week?

This is the second post from Sri Lanka today about dreamcatchers.

You might check the countries you want to ship them to, they might have some restrictions.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the explanation. I also intend to add to the list a few designs that are unique to my country.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the time!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@tikirawahunipunma-0 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I also intend to add to the list a few designs that are unique to my country.

Are dream catchers something that was in the Sri Lankan culture before people there began copying the dream catchers of Native Americans? 

After considerable looking, all I can find are endless copies and variations from Sri Lanka that are all based on the NA artifact, which originated with the Ojibwe and was later adopted by some other NA peoples.  

I cannot find any evidence for something eimilar in Sril Lankan culture, but if you can give me references I would be delighted to learn.

-

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The 'Endangered Species Act' rules and regulations in the US can be rather strict and they are often added to by individual states.  I'm in CA and there are some strong(er) regs here.   With dream catchers,  what is used to make them, and how they are described, can both be a problem.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 10
latest reply